2011 Camry stalls while driving

D60

This is coming to me tomorrow. '11 Camry with 4 cylinder. In excellent condition and literally old-lady driven. 140k miles

The best old-lady description I can glean right now is that the car simply shut off on a relatively high altitude climb in CO.

According to owner, no warnings or lights prior or after. I'll of course pull codes.

She says she thought it might be overheating even though it did not indicate such, so she waited 10 minutes and vehicle restarted and has been fine ever since. She did say it would not restart immediately but did start after 10 minutes.

She did then stop running the a/c for fear of an overheat condition, despite no indication of water temp being the problem.

So, searching the web brings up a zillion possibilities, but most are stalling at a stop....so IAC, vac leaks, throttle body, maybe EGR, maybe VVT

However the fact that it died while climbing at altitude with a/c on (high load) has me wondering about fuel pump? I read trying to tie in to read fuel pressure is difficult? (I know this all too well from the Taco 3.4). Is there an FRP PID in live data?

Other thoughts? Would an OEM fuel pump get flakey at 140k? Seems kinda early for Toyota??

@The Critic

Check intake hose. There's a weird little plastic piece, goes nowhere but is jammed into the tube. Am guessing it resonates and cures some NVH issue. Anyhow. One time mine popped out. Pushed in, never gave a problem after that. But it sure did not like running with it out.

But it ran poorly. Sounds like this ran just fine, just decided it had enough and then when it was well rested, decided all was well? Might have to dig deep with a scan tool to find pending codes that might not show up on a generic reader.

140k would be early for a fuel pump. But. It's both mechanical and electrical, which means it can just up and die, just like anything else.

Randomly dying without other symptoms and unable to restart is typical of a cam or crank sensor failure.

And they can be intermittent, which is fun.
I had this thought, too. And I don't think she drives a lot so I want to check for signs of rodent damage, particularly on those leads......but of course damage could be anywhere in the length of wiring that rodents could access

I think you'll need to duplicate the concern - grab some data snapshots and go from there.

I think you'll need to duplicate the concern - grab some data snapshots and go from there.
It feels unlikely. She's driven across Colorado since this happened.

BUT.....by the same reasoning....maybe it's "fixed"

for now

Regardless, we could still answer if there's a PID for fuel pressure?? And how to plumb in if not and if desired?

Do a few WOT and post (graph preferred) the RPM, MAF, calculated load, fuel trims, and rear o2 sensor.

Since it happened on an incline, try to duplicate it there.

I know that there is no fuel filter on my 06 tC (2az-fe engine) which is a lot older than this vehicle.. Just a simple sock on the fuel pump intake. Unless somehow the sock is clogged.. Maybe that's what you meant?

Maybe start with the basics like a new air filter if it's due, clean throttle body and MAF sensor. New spark plugs every 120k miles. Except for the air filter most of the items have probably never been done.

Not related to the issue but all new fluids may be needed.

Regardless, we could still answer if there's a PID for fuel pressure?? And how to plumb in if not and if desired?
Not that I recall. Haven't done one in a while, but from what I recall, access wasn't terrible. The disconnect is down near the fuel rail....close to the master cyl area.

Maybe start with the basics like a new air filter if it's due, clean throttle body and MAF sensor. New spark plugs every 120k miles. Except for the air filter most of the items have probably never been done.

Not related to the issue but all new fluids may be needed.
Maintenance rarely fixes anything.

Reactions: D60
Would be excellent if there are stored codes.

a fuel issue on tall climb would seem to involve perhaps some popping and balking before just calling it quits. CPS occurred to me too, but is also anyone’s guess. ??

Back