Shear Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have had my blower for 20+ years and never broke a shear bolt. I can't imagine how this could happen if you know what's on your driveway. What's there it hit? Just be carefull and use common sense and you will never need one

I've had mine since '03 and never broken one either and I even sucked in the newspaper once.

In 34 years using an 8HP 24" Ariens/28" Honda 9HP and a Toro/Suzuki that does not have a shear pin...I once got the frozen newspaper caught in the Toro (newspapers get thrown everywhere around here) and that stopped the engine immediately.
Tugged the paper out..started back up and worked fine.

Once had to change one in the Ariens as I was trying to make my way through some very compacted snow on the ramp and should have slowed down.

Having said that...I do keep a couple shear pins/bolts handy..it's easier than trying to drive around town in a snowstorm to find a bolt and try to drive down an unplowed driveg doing so as well.

I look at it as having a couple extra fuses in the tool box...never used one in 30 yrs either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have had my blower for 20+ years and never broke a shear bolt. I can't imagine how this could happen if you know what's on your driveway. What's there it hit? Just be carefull and use common sense and you will never need one

Usually it's when I catch a rock when I clear around the mailbox and that happens probably once every couple of years.

Come to think of it..I knew a guy.. years ago who was too far to the left of his backyard drive and wrapped "chicken wire fencing" around the auger several times..shear pins saved the machine.

Chicken wire would just stall the engine anyway. There is no impact with an object like that. The shear pin in designed for rocks or stumps that would otherwise damage the drive train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back