Oil Change hot or cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jaymus
I do it cold, because everything drains to the bottom overnight and I don't have to move my truck at all to change the oil.

Exactly... People are saying hot gets more oil out. But the oil was hot at some point and when you leave it over night that hot oil will have 8 or more hours to drain to the pan. So when you drain the now cold oil... you should get more oil out.

I put it on ramps the night before and drain cold the next morning. The hot oil with all the contaminates has settled to the pan as much as possible (overnight). Most gunk is still suspended in the oil. What little that settles in the pan is easily moved and drained by the oil flowing swiftly out of the pan.

AS far as the comment about sludge in the pan, if it is that thick it is not coming out hot or cold. Oil flows freely at air temp enough to carry away the vast majority of not all sediment left in the pan

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]except the sludge in the pan

Shouldn't most of the sludge be in the oil filter?

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: Jaymus
I do it cold, because everything drains to the bottom overnight and I don't have to move my truck at all to change the oil.

Exactly... People are saying hot gets more oil out. But the oil was hot at some point and when you leave it over night that hot oil will have 8 or more hours to drain to the pan. So when you drain the now cold oil... you should get more oil out.

But i think most people do not have the time to let it drain a little extra longer with cold vs hot fast flowing oil. Whatever floats someons boat i guess.

If you really have sludge, it ain't gonna just drain on its own, whether the oil is cold or warm.

some, but not as much when it's hot and liquified. filters catch particles and some sludge, but it goes everywhere and can stick all over

Isn't the dirt that the filter missed in suspension in hot oil? Wouldn't that be the primary reason to change it hot just after the engine is shut off?

AD

But according to people here, if you do OC on a regular basis there should be no sludge
wink.gif

I usually take the vehicle for a spin to get it fully warmed up and lubricated then drain the oil to a slow drip. The new oil filter will catch any thing left in the residual oil.

I always changed it hot because that's how my father did it. He said all the dirt was suspended, and the oil would drain out faster. He always left the plug out for about an hour while he greased the car, checked tires, rotated tires if needed, or cut the lawn.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I always changed it hot because that's how my father did it. He said all the dirt was suspended
I've heard that too.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Isn't the dirt that the filter missed in suspension in hot oil? Wouldn't that be the primary reason to change it hot just after the engine is shut off?

that's also a good reason, and of course fill the filter before install if you can. yay GM and their vertical mount filters

ProjUltraZ] yay GM and their vertical mount filters

That didn't get them too far.......

Sorry, I digress...
32.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Been doing it this way for many years on many engines with many miles and never had an oil related failure. I can do both vehicles in about 30 minutes if I don't hurry.

Well you won't have a oil related failure chainging oil cold like you do but in your half hour of draining cool oil your not getting all of it out vs hot..always drain hot.

You're right-that few ounces of leftover oil is a terrible thing. I'm sure that all the engines that I own will explode the next time I drive them. I sure wonder how I managed 200+ thousand miles on so many engines, 300+ thousand on one a few years ago.

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. I am forever in your debt.

Been doing it this way for many years on many engines with many miles and never had an oil related failure. I can do both vehicles in about 30 minutes if I don't hurry.

Well you won't have a oil related failure chainging oil cold like you do but in your half hour of draining cool oil your not getting all of it out vs hot..always drain hot.

You're right-that few ounces of leftover oil is a terrible thing. I'm sure that all the engines that I own will explode the next time I drive them. I sure wonder how I managed 200+ thousand miles on so many engines, 300+ thousand on one a few years ago.

wow 300k HUh? you sure drive!!

I'ts more then a few OZ's, Oh and no problem, the bill's in the mail bro!!!

wow 300k HUh? you sure drive!!

I'ts more then a few OZ's, Oh and no problem, the bill's in the mail bro!!!

Remember-I'm no pimply faced teenager-I've probably been driving longer that you've been alive.

As soon as I get that bill I'll pay it. Bro.

I did the wifes Hyundai today after a plant/flower run to Home Depot. Ramped it up and pulled the plug. Man it was HOT! But it drained fast and got it all out. But that how I always do it. Each person has their own method that suits them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back