cub cadet 2544 hydro drive fluid alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the manual for this thing they recommend cub drive only at 13 dollars / qt. I have read that you could use any regular oil. Looking at the specs for the fluid it looks like most of the 5w40s look very similar. i changed the filter out and filled it up with napa 10w40 about a year ago and all is still good. I was just wondering if anyone has done the same or knows of a better replacement. I hate when company's recommend a particular fluid with no explanation of why. I have read that the cub drive fluid is just a semi synthetic fluid. this fall ill drain it and put 5w40 in there. Then probably go to the every two year change interval which is about a quarter of what they recommend.

My dealer recommended 5W-30 synthetic motor oil. I am using Chevron Synthetic All-Weather Tractor Hydraulic Fluid because I thought it would be more appropriate for the application. Seems to work well with over 150 hours on it. Amsoil has a 5W-30 THF that is probably a good substitute at about $8 per Qt. plus shipping.

Yup, I've got the same garden tractor. A 2005 model year that also specs the Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus for the transaxle. $13 (or more) x6qts is a bit out of control. You might have seen some of my posts on other forums in regards to this, but I did a bunch of research on this very topic some years back. Spoke with Hydrogear corp, the makers of the hydrostatic drive and spoke with Shell, the makers of the Cub trans oil. Shell called it TTF-SB ([something like] Tractor Transmision Fluid - Synthetic Blend) and even gave me a product data sheet on the oil. Per specs it kind of mimics many Shell 30 to 40wt HDEOs, but I couldn't find an exact match. I've used Shell Rotell-T 15w40 for several years and Wix trans filters now without issue. 5w40 would be great also. When I spoke with Hydrogear, they agreed that their units typically use 15w40 to 20w50, but wouldn't go against Cub's specs. It's possible Cub sources the oil from someone else now, but the mechanicals are the same. The fact still remains that HDEOs do the trick perfectly.

Joel

thank you guys very much. Looks like a made almost the correct choice. do you think the 15w40 would be a little thick in the winter? I live in nc so it don't get less than 20 hardly ever. I do use the tractor in the winter a lot though. i also use the wix filter. How often do you change out the fluid and filter. i was thinking about every two years with 5w40. that would make it about every 150 to 200 hrs. Sorry pete no amsoil for me.

Here is a quote from another site that i found. I wish someone had a VOA on this fluid to evaluate there additive package.

"Shell got back to me with a hard copy of their product data sheet for TTF-SB. They seem like really good people to deal with. I got the info from [email protected] I posted it as best I could. Here goes... Direct from Shell:

"Code 53058 Shell TTF-SB

Shell TTF-SB is a specialized oil formulated specifically for use in lawn and garden tractors utilizing one fluid for transmissions, differentials, and hydraulics.

Product Application

Certain lawn and garden type tractors are designed to use a common fluid to lubricate the transmission, differential, and hydraulic system. This fluid must possess specific antifrictional characteristics to satisfy the friction requirements of hydrostatic transmissions, differentials, clutches, and wet brakes. The lubricant must also provide lubricity and wear protection of the gear sets and hydraulic system components. Shell TTF-SB is designed to satisfy the lubrication requirements for transmissions, differentials, and hydraulics of a wide variety of lawn and garden tractor equipment.

Product Description And Features

Shell TTF-SB is formulated with a blend of highly refined mineral oil and synthetic base fluid components and a specially designed additive package. The product possesses excellent oxidation stability, rust and corrosion inhibition, and antiwear / extreme pressure properties to protect critical components in the hydraulics, differentials, and gear sets. The product contains special lubricity / friction modifiers to satisfy certain hydrostatic transmissions and wet brake requirements. Due to the unique additive system and antifrictional properties, Shell TTF-SB does not meet the requirements of John Deere JDM J20C and D, and Caterpillar TO-4 specifications and should not be used in these applications.

Benefits

In service, Shell TTF-SB provides:

Excellent shift quality in hydrostatic transmissions
Outstanding hydraulic and gear wear protection
Excellent wet brake and clutch noise suppression
Resistance to rust and oxidation
Compatibility with seal materials used in transmission any hydraulic systems

Product Recommendations and Applications

Shell TTF-SB is approved for use in hydrostatic transmissions, differentials, and hydraulics of Hydrogear Corporation lawn and garden tractor equipment

Product Maintenance

Shell TTF-SB is designed to provide complete protection of lawn and garden tractor hydrostatic transmissions, differentials, and hydraulics. For optimum component service life, follow fluid drain schedules listed in the equipment owner’s manual.

Typical Characteristics

Shell TTF-SB
Code No. 53058
Appearance = clear pale
Gavity, API= 28.4 test method= D 1298
Flash, COC, degF= 435 test method = D 92
Pour Point, degF= -15 test method = D 97
Viscosity
cSt @ 40degC= 102 test method = D 445
cSt @ 100degC 13.5 test method = D 445
Viscosity Index= 132 test method = D 2270
Sulf Ash, wt%= 1.2 test method = D 874
"

Well i have been poking around on the Internet and it looks like this has been beaten to death. Here is what i got from it. Many people have used other oils with good results. mostly 5w40 for winter apps, 15w40, 15w50, syn 20w50 have all been used with good results also. Joel i did run into some of your other posts just now on tractor by net i think it was. Anyway i see absolutely no reason to buy that drive system fluid and personally I wont. It will most likely be a 5w40 for me. When i changed the fluid the second time there was still quite a lot of metal flakes in the fluid. This was about 150 hr on the machine and i had changed the filter at 15hrs. This is mainly why i decided to drain the entire system and replace it. How often are most people changing this stuff. Other than the metal flakes it looked new. Im guessing after initial wear that filter changes every couple hundred hours may not be a bad option.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Here is a quote from another site that i found....

Hehe.. that was me! Anyhoo.. for normal service where the machine gets used until everything is warmed up, all you'd really need to do is swap out the spin on trans filter every 2yrs or so and top it up. This gives you a good look at the oil. Given this trans holds 6qts, if you don't warm the trans up, or it gets wet often, you could get some condensation in there that wont get a chance to vaporize out. They are easy enough to service, the only heartache is adding oil through the small dipstick opening. IMO, there's little value in running expensive synthetics unless you use the unit commercially for long/hard hours. The oil is too easy to change and holds a huge capacity for this application.

Joel

Last edited:
I agree that there is probably no use in running synthetics for the "Performance" i was just thinking about the cold weather operation. I know regular 15w40 barely flows when below about 10F. Although i don't run the mower that cold, i do take the deck off in the fall and run the tractor most of the winter. Mostly pulling the boy around or pulling little trees that i cut. I was worried that the fluid would get to thick at those temps. Really it probably don't get up to temp very often as i only use it for two hours max, most of the time it is more like one hour. Have you ever run your tractor in the winter with the 15w40 and if so did it do okay?

Mine mostly stays nestled in the garage for a long winter's nap, but I have lit it off to move it in ~30degF temps with no issue. Rotella-T 15w40 flows better than you think at low temps, but obviously 5w40 would do better in the cold if that's a concern for you. I'd prolly use 5w40 if I used mine for snow removal.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back