5w20 oil rec. for '08 Dodge Ram 4.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running M1 0w20 since 3k (truck currently has 44k) with 7500 mile OCI's, but not sure if the M1 is still worth $6/qt after their "reformulation".

My truck does see a lot of highway miles (4k miles total per month), along with plenty of low speed driving around our orchards, often in very dusty conditions. The 4.7L is also a known "sludger", which is why I'd like to use a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil.

What 5w20 (or 0w20) oil would you guys recommend for a 7500 mile OCI?

Any synthetic will work just fine. Join a dodge forum and ask if there is a solution to the sludging. Usually it is from a lack of crankcase ventilation, so see if anyone has any aftermarket kits to solve the problem.

It may also not be a bad idea to shorten your interval to 5k, that may help with the sludge problem.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Been running M1 0w20 since 3k (truck currently has 44k) with 7500 mile OCI's, but not sure if the M1 is still worth $6/qt after their "reformulation".

My truck does see a lot of highway miles (4k miles total per month), along with plenty of low speed driving around our orchards, often in very dusty conditions. The 4.7L is also a known "sludger", which is why I'd like to use a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil.

I think PP in a 5W20 will be fine. I like the 0W20's myself, but feel the same way you do about Mobil 1, along with some other issues I have with them. If PP ever comes around my neck of the woods in 0W20 I'd use that. I have until June to worry about what I am going to be using in place of Mobil 1 0W20.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
Any synthetic will work just fine. Join a dodge forum and ask if there is a solution to the sludging. Usually it is from a lack of crankcase ventilation, so see if anyone has any aftermarket kits to solve the problem.

It may also not be a bad idea to shorten your interval to 5k, that may help with the sludge problem.

Yes, it is poor crankcase ventilation behind the 4.7L's sludge issues. On any of the Dodge truck forums you can find the info on how to modify the setup to use a GM PCV valve that is supposed to solve the issue. I also agree - cut back to 5K.

As to what oil to use...

PP
QS HP
Valvoline Synpower
Kendall GT1

They all offer a 5W-20 that meets all warranty requirements for the 08 Ram's( Chrysler MS6395 & API Starburst ). They are readily available, affordable( for synthetics ), and are all quality oils.

Last edited:

Go with Amsoil XLM 5W-20 It is full API SM, ILSAC GF-4 and Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N and is shown to be an excellent oil in tough applications.

Going to pick up some PP on my way to work this morning. At $4/qt from Wally (6 qt capacity), it's actually cheaper than the Q Power 5qt w/filter deal from Autozone for $27 + 1 extra qt. Go figure - they charge $23 for a 5qt jug of PP, while an individual quart is only $4.

I've never had the sludging issue...just mentioned it because the 4.7's are prone to sludge. I will be sticking with the 7.5k OCI with synthetic and might even increase to 10k...IMO no point in running 5k OCI with synthetic. If only I could run 15w40 HDEO in this engine, I'd just use the 15w40 Delo that we run in all out equipment at the farm.

In regards to Mobil 1, I have always been impressed with their higher-viscosity oils (0w40,15w50) and will continue to use them in my MB, but never felt like I got my money's worth with the 0w20. Of couse, I have no hard data (UOA) to support this and am going simply based on how my engines sound & run.

Last edited:
Quote:
Go with Amsoil XLM 5W-20 It is full API SM, ILSAC GF-4 and Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N and is shown to be an excellent oil in tough applications.

I find it hard to justify spending $7.50/qt for a Grp 3 oil. I'd give it a try if it could be had for less than $6/qt.

Really? What is "PC" and how to I get that price?

Preferred Customer. It will cost you $20 per year to be one.

The quoted cost does not include tax or shipping.

"If only I could run 15w40 HDEO in this engine, I'd just use the 15w40 Delo that we run in all out equipment at the farm."

What could go wrong?
Im running my 5.9 magnum on it, just a bit hard cranking
on really cold mornings like -15 cels.

Originally Posted By: ac_tc
"If only I could run 15w40 HDEO in this engine, I'd just use the 15w40 Delo that we run in all out equipment at the farm."

What could go wrong?
Im running my 5.9 magnum on it, just a bit hard cranking
on really cold mornings like -15 cels.

Well there is the warranty. But I think a synthetic HDEO 10W-30/SAE 30 would do nicely here.

Going to pick up some PP on my way to work this morning. At $4/qt from Wally (6 qt capacity), it's actually cheaper than the Q Power 5qt w/filter deal from Autozone for $27 + 1 extra qt. Go figure - they charge $23 for a 5qt jug of PP, while an individual quart is only $4.

I've never had the sludging issue...just mentioned it because the 4.7's are prone to sludge. I will be sticking with the 7.5k OCI with synthetic and might even increase to 10k...IMO no point in running 5k OCI with synthetic. If only I could run 15w40 HDEO in this engine, I'd just use the 15w40 Delo that we run in all out equipment at the farm.

In regards to Mobil 1, I have always been impressed with their higher-viscosity oils (0w40,15w50) and will continue to use them in my MB, but never felt like I got my money's worth with the 0w20. Of couse, I have no hard data (UOA) to support this and am going simply based on how my engines sound & run.

It is hit or miss on the $4 individual qt price on PP at WM( $4.01 right? ). Most WM's sell the individual qts for $6.00 p/qt( $5.97 here ). I grabbed the $23 5qt jug of PP 5W-20 and then had to pay $5.97 each for the other 2 qts I needed( my 08 has the HEMI = 7 qts ). Another excellent synthetic that is pretty affordable is Kendall GT1. Check out PepBoys as they sell it for $4.99 p/qt.

I wouldn't be surprised that you have not had the sluding issue on an 08. Takes a few years and some miles for it to build up. Not only that but you have an 08 so you have the new redesigned 4.7L. They may have finally dealt with it?

Watch out exceeding the max allowed OCI in the owner's manual( 6 month/6K ). 10K is not going to cut it with Chrysler and you have the lifetime PT warranty to preserve. Just mentioning it. I understand synthetic can go 10K and all but that lifetime PT warranty is worth protecting. Grp III synthetics are cheap enough that 5K OCI's are not that expensive. At least IMHO.

Good luck with your truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Well you'll need pay tax no matter what oil you buy, so that's irrelevant.

PC cost is $10 for six month trial.

Yes, shipping will cost about $9 case.

Not in NH you don't. No sales tax!
banana2.gif

I'm almost disappointed to say that the PP 5w20 works better (subjectively) than the M1 0w20 ever did with my 4.7L motor. With the PP, the valvetrain "tick" is gone and I seem to have picked up a little bit of higher-rpm power on the butt-dyno. I almost want to try M1 5w20 next time to see if it yields similar results to the 0w20. Well I guess there's one less thing I can take for granted in this world - that M1 is the best mainstream synthetic oil for any application.

Will likely stay with PP or another value-priced Grp3 synthetic and stay with the 7500 mile OCI's on the Dodge. There is no way for Chrysler to track my oil changes other than what I have written in my service book, since I buy the filters in bulk on a yearly basis and service my own truck. I've also given thought to running 10k OCI's with a filter change & top-off at the 5k mark.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Also, as of March 1. PC case price breakout will be $5.35/qt.

Wow!! .30 cents per quart less huh? That's nice.

How about the SSO, or the ASL? Is it coming down that much?

You can PM me if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back