Question about Purolator filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I'm a Napa Gold man but I was in Advanced and I looked up the Purolater filter for my Jeep. I found the Pure One oil filter. It has a rough yellow texture which caught my attention. Has anyone had any experience with these filters?

linky

Last edited:
Yup. Besides Mobil 1 filters, they are the best you can find. Silicone antidrain back valve, which is the best, nice big inlet size holes, strong steel center tube, and the most media I've ever encountered in a filter. 98 percent efficiency. Metal end caps with media cemented in, and a metal glued clip holding the ends of the media together. Only advanatge of M1 is a thicker steel can. At half the price of the M1 filter, the pureone is a steal. Spoil your jeep, get a pureone. If you buy one, wipe off the inlet holes with a microfiber cloth to get and gold texture grip flakes off. Does this help?

Originally Posted By: rangerfan24
Yup. Besides Mobil 1 filters, they are the best you can find.

Pure One is a GREAT filter yes. It is one of the best just as Wix is. When it comes to quality, there both Kings. I'd look for what one is the better deal.

to much gold flaking off getting inside the filter and maybe a little too restrictive i have used them but stopped when they went from blue to the flake off gold.. I use the motorcraft on my fords and the napa and a/c on my gm's I also use group 7 which is a purolator premium plus in my shop and on some of my cars also..

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Normally I'm a Napa Gold man but I was in Advanced and I looked up the Purolater filter for my Jeep. I found the Pure One oil filter. It has a rough yellow texture which caught my attention. Has anyone had any experience with these filters?

linky

Yea that
37.gif
yellow is pretty eye catching.

The Pureone is an awesome filter, to be sure. Made even better when they added the grippy paint! You can run the Pureone for a nice long OCI as well. I ran the Pureone when it was blue; never had issues and had excellent UOAs on my 5.4L Expidition at the time.

I also used to run the AAP with red grippy paint for 5k mile OCIs. Such the bargin for a decent, easy to install filter. Alas, the powers that be found out my little secret, and now they are not on the shelves anymore; only available as special order at my AAP.

Now, my favorite flavor is stuff from fleetfilter. I wish Wix/NapaGold would add some grippy paint; I'd be the poster child for them at that point!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
to much gold flaking off getting inside the filter and maybe a little too restrictive i have used them but stopped when they went from blue to the flake off gold.. I use the motorcraft on my fords and the napa and a/c on my gm's I also use group 7 which is a purolator premium plus in my shop and on some of my cars also..

The gold flaking paint was an issue early on with these filters when they changed from the blue to the puke color. They still use the puke color but the flaking paint is no longer an issue with the newer lots of filters.

I had a few of the suspect flaking paint filters, sent them back to Purolator and they were replaced w/o any issues.

HTH

Yeah I just put one on my Altima on Sunday. No flaking paint whatsoever. Big size difference from the factory Nissan filter. Probably close to an inch taller. I'm gonna post pics of both cut open when I change again in about 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The Pureone is an awesome filter, to be sure. Made even better when they added the grippy paint! You can run the Pureone for a nice long OCI as well. I ran the Pureone when it was blue; never had issues and had excellent UOAs on my 5.4L Expidition at the time.

I also used to run the AAP with red grippy paint for 5k mile OCIs. Such the bargin for a decent, easy to install filter. Alas, the powers that be found out my little secret, and now they are not on the shelves anymore; only available as special order at my AAP.

I am surprised they tell you they are only "special order", all they did was move them behind the commercial counter to sell to commercial accounts instead of the PowerFlo filters.

Now, my favorite flavor is stuff from fleetfilter. I wish Wix/NapaGold would add some grippy paint; I'd be the poster child for them at that point!

Why not just go with the same size Purolator Premium? It flows better than the PureOne and if you're doing shorter OCI's, it will do the trick. Aren't we looking for good flow and good filtering? I don't see that much difference between the two except for the silicone and oil flow. ???

Has anyone done an oil flow test on Pure 1? What I mean by that is, has a comparison with other filters been done. Perhaps gallons per hour.

I like white purolators, and P1's. BUT. They raised the prices significantly lately. To much in my book. I've had 2 white purolators leak at the seam near the baseplate on 2 different cars. Same kind of leak. And for the price Napa Proselects are going for... it's the better white filter.

the gold grippy stuff is much much better now than it was.. before it would actually come off on your hand! But tell me, why not just the top 1 inch or so like FRAM... why the whole can??

although I am at a loss to find the link... A couple years ago a test was done and it was nearly identical to Wix. 1.4 GPM @ 5 PSI, 2.3 GPM @ 10 PSI, 4 GPM @ 20 PSI, 5.4 GPM @ 30 PSI, 6.8 GPM @ 40 PSI and 7.7 GPM @ 50 PSI..

I just put one on my Silverado along with M1 0W-30. REALLY nice, well constructed filter. I wouldn't worry much about flow rates, unless you are racing your vehicle. I know the media is a bit more restrictive, but there are more pleats to add surface area and reduct restrictions. Only at prolonged high RPMs would I start to worry. Oil pressure is about identical to the Delco filters I've been using.

PHP:
I ran the Pureone when it was blue; never had issues and had excellent UOAs on my 5.4L Expidition at the time.

Why did you sell the Expedition? What year was it and how many miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back