Oil Filter Competitive Lookup Accuracy

Good Morning,
I did some checking to see how accurate the competitor’s cross reference lookup is in the Fram, Purolator and Wix websites. My analysis below is on our 2021 Subaru Forester and 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

In the application lookup column are the filters that the manufacturer has specified for the vehicle, i.e. the correct filters. I then took those filters and entered them into the competitor’s website to see if the correct competitor filter is found. For example the Fram TG7317 is what Fram says is one of the correct filters for my Subaru. When I entered it in the Purolator website, the wrong Purolator filters are returned; i.e., different from what Purolator recommends!

For the Grand Cherokee the results were 83% to 100%, near perfect. For the Subaru the accuracy dropped to 0% to 40% accuracy. There were 14 additional (incorrect) oil filters found.

My sample size is only two vehicles but it is interesting how one is near perfect and the other is way off. Do I now have 14 additional choices for my Subaru? 😲 I’d appreciate the communities thoughts and comments. Thank you!

1689348329511.jpg

1689348076524.jpg
1689347978540.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Purolator has always been better than its competitors at offering Subaru-specific filters with the correct high bypass valve pressure setting that they 'require'. Look at the specs and you will see it.

The 7317 and equivalent from any filter manufacturer is a common Honda filter with an 8-12 psi bypass or thereabouts. It will fit and work but it's not really what Subaru would have you use.

What numbers do you get in each brand when you type in the Jeep and Subaru filter numbers?
Hi Eddie,
Its in the tables in post #1. Example in the Purolator Table, in the "Lookup" I entered XG7317 (Fram Ultra). Reading across the Purolator "Result" brought back three filters, PBL14610, PL14610 and L14610. But when my vehicle is entered it brings back the 14615 series in the last column.
Purolator has always been better than its competitors at offering Subaru-specific filters with the correct high bypass valve pressure setting that they 'require'. Look at the specs and you will see it.

The 7317 and equivalent from any filter manufacturer is a common Honda filter with an 8-12 psi bypass or thereabouts. It will fit and work but it's not really what Subaru would have you use.
Thank you for the reply! I am aware of the special Subaru spec for the by-pass.
I wonder how impactful that spec really is when I think about the thousands of Subarus not using Wix, Purolator or Subaru oil filters. Also companies like Fram would have a big liability problem.

Back