Fram XG 7317 CnP

Filter from my wifes car, 2018 Honda Fit. I changed it a while back and forgot to cut it open. Has roughly 13-14k on it with 2 OCIs using Napa/Valvoline 0w16 Synthetic. I will confirm the mileage when schedules align and I can look at the notebook in her car. We typically change at 10% on the factory maintenance minder and every other OCI gets a new filter.

A bit of carbon was found in the bottom of the can and I found these blue specs in every handful of pleats...not sure whats going on there. Kinda looks like its from paint you'd see on bolts after setting torque. I wish I had cut open the past oil filters now. The car has little under 50k on it. It currently has Total Quartz 0w20 and a Champ XL PH2867XL filter..
1000012989.jpg

1000012988.jpg

1000012996.jpg

1000012993.jpg

1000012994.jpg

1000012995.jpg

1000012997.jpg

1000012998.jpg

1000012996.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for showing this. I too own Honda cars, and after seeing your filter am glad that I have not followed Honda's every other OCI recommendation for replacing oil filters.

Since you asked ... its the sediment inside the filter can that caught my eye, not the filter itself.

On my 2 Hondas, the factory maintenance minder will go over 9,000 miles before hitting the 10% alert to change the oil. That means I'd put around 18,000 miles on a single filter if I followed Honda's every other OCI recommendation for replacing oil filters. No thanks. I'd prefer to get whatever sediment is in my car's oil out of there and have a fresh filter in place to help capture as much of it as it can.

Looks good, less pleat wave than many current XG c&p. As for Honda every other OC recommendation, I think it's an individual choice and what your comfort level. I've done two ocis on Honda using OG XG with no worries, But mostly I do every oci as my preference using blended media filters. Said before, the very rare occasions I've had dealer change, they never mentioned the A,B MM display or recommendation. They always change filter.

See you're using TQ 0w20 this time, curious, is the Fit DI or port injected? I have a jug of TQ 0w20, and used one on port injected 2.5L Rogue.

Thanks for c&p.

Looks good, less pleat wave than many current XG c&p. As for Honda every other OC recommendation, I think it's an individual choice and what your comfort level. I've done two ocis on Honda using OG XG with no worries, But mostly I do every oci as my preference using blended media filters. Said before, the very rare occasions I've had dealer change, they never mentioned the A,B MM display or recommendation. They always change filter.

See you're using TQ 0w20 this time, curious, is the Fit DI or port injected? I have a jug of TQ 0w20, and used one on port injected 2.5L Rogue.

Thanks for c&p.
Its direct injection. I used the Total cuz I got it on clearance a while back. I will likely switch to HPL or Amsoil next and see what happens

Sorry, the OP never said explicitly there was no wire backing and the pictures do not give indication.
And it was changed a while ago after fairly long OCI, so the timing could mean it is original wire backed XG.

Sorry, the OP never said explicitly there was no wire backing and the pictures do not give indication.
And it was changed a while ago after fairly long OCI, so the timing could mean it is original wire backed XG.
Good notes but I can tell it doesn't appear to be a wire backed version based on a few cues.

Sorry I figured it was obvious it was not a wired backed media by the way the media looks and pleats are shaped.

That’s a newer Ultra-there’s too many pleats, & the pleats are “sharper” than the wire backed rounded ones would be.

Back