How do the High Mileage oils compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering, based on the UOAs which High Mileage oil has shown the best additive packs? Has anyone done a spreadsheet of somekind to compare data and add packs of most of the High Mileage oils both conventional and Synthetic or Blends?

I want to run the best oil in my young 4.3L vortec with 29k miles to keep all the seals, and gaskets conditioned and in check.

P.S. the search feature needs a major updating!

29K is too young to be using HM oil in my opinion. I would use the best quality synthetic you can find and you should never need the HM oil.

If you want the best no need for HM oil now.

Try Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple or Mobil 1 with confidence.

Further... They shouldn't call them HM for High Mileage, they should call is HM for Higher-Marketing... Most of the time these oils do nothing at all for your engine performance.

I think if you do proper maintenance using a quality oil, you shouldn't have oil leaks or the need for these oils which are nothing more than a cash grab in my opinion.

I have always driven my cars at least 400,000 KM (240,000 Miles) without major oil leaks and without using HM oils...

grin2.gif

HM oils have a more robust additive pkg and some are even semi-synthetic...they are better, but not necessary for anything with under 100k with no leaks in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
HM oils have a more robust additive pkg and some are even semi-synthetic...they are better, but not necessary for anything with under 100k with no leaks in my opinion.

Or over 100k with no leaks.

Which is irrelevant anyways. Leaks should be fixed the CORRECT way: With new seals or gaskets.

If an HM oil is more robust than a standard PCMO, you can always go overboard and go HDEO, which is more robust than either of the former....

How nuts do you want to go? I'm running the equivalent of Delvac 1 5w40 in a gas 302. Pretty easy to figure that one out.

As said in your other thread, I am only familiar with Mobil 1 and Valvoline HM oils.

If we speak of Mobil 1 10W-30 HM, it has a heavier base oil with a HTHS of 3.66. It has a higher 100C cSt of 11.79. It has a ZDDP of 1000. It has more antioxidants, more detergents, more dispersant, and some extra seal conditioners.

The full synthetic MaxLife 10W-30 is similar. It also has a heavier base oil with a HTHS of 3.56. It keeps the GF-4 ZDDP level and actually meets the GF-4 specs for emission equipment, but not for mileage. It has a 100C cSt of 11.7, more antioxidant, more detergent/dispersant, a MOLY content of 280, and also some extra seal conditioners.

As said above, HN oils MAY help to stop a minor leak but new seals an gaskets are the sure way. Mobil 1 and Valvoline have seal conditioners, as do all synthetic oils, just a little more. These conditioners will help to keep the seals pliable but not swell them up, as it were. They are more on the order of a preventative maintenance than a fix. They help keep your seals pliable.

Since you have a new crank with new seals, a full synthetic oil is going to help protect those seals. Going to a HM oil is more on the order of going to a heavy duty oil.

Completely by chance I had these two threads open in other windows:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1303181&fpart=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1141602&fpart=1

Haven't really read them yet, but I had looked them up because I was wondering the same thing.

BTW, if you don't find what you're looking for using the site search feature, you can do a google search but then add "site:bobistheoilguy.com" (without quotes) and it'll return only the results that match your search that come from the BITOG site. I often use that when I can't find what I'm looking for with the site's search feature. Hope it helps

-sicko

Originally Posted By: sicko

BTW, if you don't find what you're looking for using the site search feature, you can do a google search but then add "site:bobistheoilguy.com" (without quotes) and it'll return only the results that match your search that come from the BITOG site. I often use that when I can't find what I'm looking for with the site's search feature. Hope it helps

-sicko

33.gif
Thanks for that information which is a great help to me.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
I want to run the best oil in my young 4.3L vortec with 29k miles to keep all the seals, and gaskets conditioned and in check.

Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 with a 4oz dose of Auto RX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back