Diagnosing coil springs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently replaced the shocks on my Dakota. I have new tires and new outer tie rod ends too. The ride is still more bumpy and uneven than it used to be. This is my 2nd set of new shocks, I used Monroe Reflex. It's a 2WD truck and the coil springs are original. I have 99,100 miles on my truck.

Question is, how do you tell if the coil springs are bad and need replacement? Truck steers fine so I don't think it's ball joints and there is no noise or steering problems like it would have with a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly. All the suspension bushings look to be in good shape. I am trying to figure out if the springs are bad but don't know what to look for.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

You could also look at a Technical manual for your truck and it will tell you the height from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel well when the truck has no load in it. This would tell you if the springs are weak.

Thanks. I'll go take some measurements. I have a Dodge FSM for the truck so the specs should be there.

Additionally, I see that the bump stop on the driver's side has a big chunk taken out of it, and the one on the passenger's side has the same thing only a smaller piece is gone. The bump stops are made of a hard foam material, not rubber.

I just read online that this can be an indication of bottoming of the suspension, caused by weak coil springs. Do you guys agree?

Thanks again for the help and quick replies.

I would agree... Spend the money and get good quality springs/shocks... And you should be good for the life of the vehicle. Some Chrysler models also have an option for "Heavy Duty" versions of coil springs/shocks. I installed these on my old Dodge Caravan and it never needed them again. Drove it to the scrap yard 10 years later like that.

I can't find the height specs in any of the manuals I have for this truck. From the center of the top of the tire to the top of the inside of the fenderwell on both sides is right at 5 inches. It's the same on both sides.

If anyone knows the specs to look for I'm all ears. I'm trying to find it online but have had no luck so far.

Unless the springs are broken, they are NOT causing a rough ride.
How can they?
But the height check is good to see if a corner is sagging on you.

In the technical manual I bought for my SUV it has the measurements... I just assumed all manuals would have it. You could take it to a parking lot and find a similar vehicle and compare yours to theirs... I have done that in the past...
crackmeup2.gif

I think it's just a problem of rough bumpy roads. We don't exactly have the best roads around here, but some are in better shape and smoother than others. On some roads it rides smooth and easy (for an 8 year old pickup truck) and others it's a bit more bumpy and rough ride. I noticed other trucks and cars too bouncing in the same spots as I did when I was following them in traffic yesterday and again today.

The truck rides pretty stiff anyway on these new Reflex shocks and I just got a set of new Firestone Destination LE tires 2 days ago. I think maybe they have softened up a little or something. It's not quite as stiff a ride as it was yesterday. They seem to be a pretty good tire and I got a great deal on them.

The truck has a very truck-like ride to it. I think the springs are just fine and I'm going to leave well enough alone. I think this is just a bad case of my own misconceptions about ride quality.

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back