Few notes from a ignition coil replacement for 6.2l V8 gasser

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
A few notes from replacement of the number 2 cylinder ignition coil on a 2015 f350 super duty with a 6.2l gas engine.

Symptom, check engine light on steady, obd shows a misfire but unable to identify which cylinder. If check engine light was flashing, obd would likely have zeroed in on which cylinder.

Diagnosis without knowing which cylinder should be done with a cold engine, and IN THE DARK. Have the hood open, have someone start the engine, and look for a visible tiny spark coming from a coil..that is your failing coil. In my case, once the engine slightly warmed up, the failing coil no longer showed a visible external spark.

Replacement of the coil is fairly easy. On this Ford, the connector to the coil was frozen. Don't force it, I suspect the connector will break easy, and then you will have a additional situation to address. I sprayed dexoit all over the connector, and that broke the red tab free to slide out, and then compress the connector for removal.

Number two coil required slight removal of the intake manifold to remove the coil. No big deal, simply loosen two clamps and the three air filter housing clamps and the manifold gets out of the way enough to remove the coil.

Denso is the Oem for the coil. Picture below clearly shows the burning of the Ford part numbers. These coils from Ford are 80+ USD wholesale, $150+ USD dealer. Buy the denso and save a few dollars for the exact product.

Finally, a lot of locations to use silicon paste on this job. From the coil trunk to the electrical connector release mechanism. I even used the paste on the 8mm lock down bolt, as I could not find my never seize. Of note the eight mm lock down bolt was frustrated during removal from corrosion. I suspect water from the engine hits the top of this.coil in some manner, slowly letting moisture to enter the coil area on this cylinder.

Job took about 30 minutes, less the working in the dark diagnosis, and checking the issue was resolved with the scanner.

PXL_20230828_134555446.jpg

Last edited:
Suggestion: If you are going to keep working on Fords, Forscan and a cheap compatible dongle is a useful tool.

Running the Mode 6 Data in Forscan will show you which cylinder is misfiring (it will actually give you misfire counts for all cylinders, and its usually obvious which one is the culprit.) Through the years its made finding the misfiring cylinder very easy on Modular V8's.

A few notes from replacement of the number 2 cylinder ignition coil on a 2015 f350 super duty with a 6.2l gas engine.

Symptom, check engine light on steady, obd shows a misfire but unable to identify which cylinder. If check engine light was flashing, obd would likely have zeroed in on which cylinder.

Diagnosis without knowing which cylinder should be done with a cold engine, and IN THE DARK. Have the hood open, have someone start the engine, and look for a visible tiny spark coming from a coil..that is your failing coil. In my case, once the engine slightly warmed up, the failing coil no longer showed a visible external spark.

Replacement of the coil is fairly easy. On this Ford, the connector to the coil was frozen. Don't force it, I suspect the connector will break easy, and then you will have a additional situation to address. I sprayed dexoit all over the connector, and that broke the red tab free to slide out, and then compress the connector for removal.

Number two coil required slight removal of the intake manifold to remove the coil. No big deal, simply loosen two clamps and the three air filter housing clamps and the manifold gets out of the way enough to remove the coil.

Denso is the Oem for the coil. Picture below clearly shows the burning of the Ford part numbers. These coils from Ford are 80+ USD wholesale, $150+ USD dealer. Buy the denso and save a few dollars for the exact product.

Finally, a lot of locations to use silicon paste on this job. From the coil trunk to the electrical connector release mechanism. I ever used the paste on the 8mm lock down bolt, as I could not find my never seize. Of note the eight mm lock down bolt was frustrated during removal from corrosion. I suspect water from the engine hits the top of this.coil in some manner, slowly letting moisture to enter the coil area on this cylinder.

Job took about 30 minutes, less the working in the dark diagnosis, and checking the issue was resolved with the scanner.

View attachment 175489
You work on enough vehicles where this could be a big time saver, it can detect not only a bad coil but a weak coil or a coil not getting the right power all with no disassembly just touch the probe to the top of the coil or attach the wire probe attachment to the wires.
This is one of my favorite and time saving tools.

You work on enough vehicles where this could be a big time saver, it can detect not only a bad coil but a weak coil or a coil not getting the right power all with no disassembly just touch the probe to the top of the coil or attach the wire probe attachment to the wires.
This is one of my favorite and time saving tools.

I'm so leary of products with built-in batts. Any idea if the li-ion battery is replaceable?

edit: I called them 8004405582 and they acted like it would be no big deal to replace. Said it is soldered in but a screwdriver and soldering iron would get it done. Just 2 connections (not surprisingly)

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
I'm so leary of products with built-in batts. Any idea if the li-ion battery is replaceable?

edit: I called them 8004405582 and they acted like it would be no big deal to replace. Said it is soldered in but a screwdriver and soldering iron would get it done. Just 2 connections (not surprisingly)

I am assuming if you are knowledgeable enough to use this tool (and subsequent repairs)-it probably takes less skill to change out the battery.
What's the big deal?

Last edited:
Back