2007 Toyota 4-Runner....Fluid Questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me with questions about my 4-Runner????

What kind of oil is in the differentials (Front & Rear) as a factory fill? Synthetic?

What kind of factory fill fluid is in the auto tranny? Synthetic?

Does the 4-Runner have a Transfer Case? If so, what kind of lube is the factory fill? Synthetic?

Under normal driving, how long should these factory fills last? What if I start towing a 2,500 lb camper....should I change sooner?

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Can someone help me with questions about my 4-Runner????

What kind of oil is in the differentials (Front & Rear) as a factory fill? Synthetic?

What kind of factory fill fluid is in the auto tranny? Synthetic?

Does the 4-Runner have a Transfer Case? If so, what kind of lube is the factory fill? Synthetic?

Under normal driving, how long should these factory fills last? What if I start towing a 2,500 lb camper....should I change sooner?

Thanks,

Which engine?

Factory fluids are not synthetic.

Difs and transfer case are 80W-90

ATF is WS.

Change early, 20K or so. Yes.

My 2008 4Runner has 75w90 Gl5 in the front diff, 75w90 GL5 in the tcase and 90w or 85w90 in the rear diff. There is no mention besides "inspect" up to 100k in the manual. Towing calls for a change at 50-60k I believe.

I have some GM grape 75w90 left does anyone know if that would work in the front diff & tcase?

Last edited:
Yeah...sorry....It is the 4L, V6.

Right now we have 10k miles on the vehicle. I was thinking I might wait until the weather warms up, changing the fluids out to synthetic the summer of 2009....and the T4R will probably have about 15-16k miles.

By the way, I will change out to Amsoil fluids....as I want to be able to leave them in for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Yeah...sorry....It is the 4L, V6.

Right now we have 10k miles on the vehicle. I was thinking I might wait until the weather warms up, changing the fluids out to synthetic the summer of 2009....and the T4R will probably have about 15-16k miles.

You should be fine at 15k for sure. If you tow I would definitely go synthetic. Mine is a lease and I don't tow so I'll go 30k and decide. BTW, Pablo if I use amsoil at 30k will it get me to 100k since I don't tow?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1

BTW, Pablo if I use amsoil at 30k will it get me to 100k since I don't tow?

I'm not Pabs but WITHOUT question the Amsoil will do 70k miles with ease.
thumbsup2.gif

Unless you get it wet...

I've used quite a few oils in my lifetime and the Amsoil is the real stuff (MUCH better than other gear oils I've used before like Mobil 1).

I've got 60k on my gearbox/diff and the Amsoil is performing like new. The Mobil 1 stuff was spent around 40k miles.

I started a thread on it a few years ago.

Take care, bill

I have the same engine in my tacoma. I switched over to the SSO and had very good results with it. I actually saw a MPG improvement. At about 30,000 I flushed the trans with Toyota WS fluid which is said to be synthetic and added a magnefine inline filter. I use Redline in the power steering and rear diff. Pablo is a great resource if you choose Amsoil.

Last edited:
The factory gear oil will do fine without a change. Towing 2500# isn't a major load. Synthetic will do better when very hot or very cold. If you are planning on keeping this rig for several hundred thousand miles, switching to syn might pay off.

Toyota's World Standard ATF might be a syn or syn blend. It is a very long life fluid. Amsoil does not have a fluid for this according to their Lookup Guide.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: PT1

BTW, Pablo if I use amsoil at 30k will it get me to 100k since I don't tow?

I'm not Pabs but WITHOUT question the Amsoil will do 70k miles with ease.
thumbsup2.gif

Unless you get it wet...

I've used quite a few oils in my lifetime and the Amsoil is the real stuff (MUCH better than other gear oils I've used before like Mobil 1).

I've got 60k on my gearbox/diff and the Amsoil is performing like new. The Mobil 1 stuff was spent around 40k miles.

I started a thread on it a few years ago.

Take care, bill

Thanks Bill, This truck is a 3 year lease (business) so I will make my decision to keep/trade somewhere in the 30k mileage range. If I do keep it I will probably switch the diffs & tcase to amsoil. One of my friends has tow trucks and uses it exclusively and swears by it. I asked him the same question and he said if I don't tow the amsoil will easily go 100-120k
shocked2.gif
Which seems like a lot but he says he goes 200k+ n his all the time. But I am too paranoid to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back