Got a 2004 Toyota RAV 4 … Which transmission fluid ?

Well the lady got a 2004 Toyota RAV 4. 2.2 L motor and transmission. Only has 76,000 miles on it and it runs great. Shifts great.

I doubt the transmission fluid has been changed in it. Looks like motor oil when cooled off

I know it took Toyota type IV fluid from the factory.
I am leaning towards Eneos Eco ATF.

I am not going to run Valvoline Maxlife atf that is for both cvts and regular 4,5,6 speed transmissions.

I’m curious what people on here have run in those 2003-2007 Toyota RAV 4 transmissions ?

Toyota Type IV is readily available and isn't that expensive. Idemitsu TLS is probably just as good, too, and available at Napa.

T-IV all the way, like he said. Toyota parts departments usually have a decent price. (Will vary of course).

Last time I got it, I picked up a case and it worked out to about $4.25/qt IIRC at a local dealership. T-IV was originally made by Mobil and also available as 3309; exactly the same. And Idemitsu TLS does indeed work as well, I’ve used a case or so of it in the past.

I would not chose that Eneos Eco fluid as it is a direct MaxLife analog; it’s a multi-spec LV fluid of the next generation. I’m sure it works great in a lot of applications where WS or DexVI is used. I’ve had a lot better success running T-IV/3309 in transmissions spec’d for it originally than using back-spec’d LV fluid like that particular Eneos or MaxLife (love it in other places though). This includes the Aisin U series transmission like in that Rav4. I have one of them in a Lexus right now with 330k mi on it, running just great. Over that time I’ve tried MaxLife, other LV fluid, and I always go back to T-IV/3309 and it runs better.

Last edited:
Maxlife will still work fine, even though the new stuff that's supposed to be CVT-compatible.

I'd be more afraid to use it in a CVT than a regular automatic.

If you're still afraid to use it, get the cheapest synthetic LV multi ATF and use that :)

T-IV from a dealer
Mobil 3309 (Amazon and Summit Racing) - which is T-IV
Aisin ATF-0T4 - at one time, pricing was pretty good on this product, but less so now.

There is no need to use OEM ATF, save your money and use something compatible

I have driven more than 1.5+ million miles and I buy nothing but Toyotas, I have used Toyota OEM ATF once because of suggestions from people online, a complete waste of money as Valvoline Maxlife ATF was always cheaper and I saw NO difference in the functionality of the transmission in my cars and NONE failed, even the ones that had 350k+ miles on original fluid (and yes I would do a complete fluid exchange using the transmission cooler line)

if the OEM transmission fluid was the same price, yes I would use it but that's never going to happen.

I assume this is the same trans as in a 2005 Camry 2.4? My sister has 180k on hers and it had a drain and fill when she first got it, almost for sure with the universal fluid that the shop always uses. The fluid looked extremely dirty before and immediately after that change (I used to work there and I know that they did change it). It actually shifts pretty bad and my sister said she does think if something is going to fail it is the transmission.

She is going to change the fluid herself soon (she recently did her own brakes and started doing her own oil changes. I told her to stick with the Toyota T-IV fluid it calls for. I've used maxlife in my Oldsmobile and some universal fluid in my 4L60E but I don't think its a great idea, so I changed them out for Dex 6 as soon as I could

I run MaxLife in our '01 Tundra and other Toyota gear type automatic transmissions. Aisin is another good choice; I've used their CVT fluid.

T-IV all the way, like he said. Toyota parts departments usually have a decent price. (Will vary of course).

Last time I got it, I picked up a case and it worked out to about $4.25/qt IIRC at a local dealership. T-IV was originally made by Mobil and also available as 3309; exactly the same. And Idemitsu TLS does indeed work as well, I’ve used a case or so of it in the past.

I would not chose that Eneos Eco fluid as it is a direct MaxLife analog; it’s a multi-spec LV fluid of the next generation. I’m sure it works great in a lot of applications where WS or DexVI is used. I’ve had a lot better success running T-IV/3309 in transmissions spec’d for it originally than using back-spec’d LV fluid like that particular Eneos or MaxLife (love it in other places though). This includes the Aisin U series transmission like in that Rav4. I have one of them in a Lexus right now with 330k mi on it, running just great. Over that time I’ve tried MaxLife, other LV fluid, and I always go back to T-IV/3309 and it runs better.

Thank you buddy… Very good post here.

I’m going to the local Toyota dealership tomorrow to price it.

I’m hoping it’s like 6-7 maybe $8 a quart now.

The Eneos Eco atf is like $10 a quart. Which is the cheapest I have found at the parts stores. Castrol full synthetic Transmax is around that price too.

But I will go by and see what the dealership prices are tomorrow

I run MaxLife in our '01 Tundra and other Toyota gear type automatic transmissions. Aisin is another good choice; I've used their CVT fluid.

Hey Jk hope you are doing good.

Yeah IF I could find OG Maxlife I would possibly run that.

I’m no fan of the regular atf / cvt transmission fluid. It’s just me. Doesn’t mean I’m right :LOL:

Wow only 76k, must be clean. Post pics.

Will do man. Gotta take pics tomorrow afternoon.

It is in very good shape. Except the paint in the hood and a little bit on the passenger and drivers doors a bit.

It’s very clean inside, interior in great shape, seats great shape.

4 brand spanking new tires on it too. Yokohama.

Dry as a bone underneath… Oil looked great and was changed 1 thousand miles ago. Battery terminals clean with the typical corrosion on the metal tie down part across the battery. Though it is not that bad at all. The serpentine belt may need to be changed before all too long. I need to assess that tonight.

The Eneos Eco atf is like $10 a quart. Which is the cheapest I have found at the parts stores. Castrol full synthetic Transmax is around that price too.

Chat the guys up; they have discretion to give a decent discount. I talked shop with them a bit and was buying a case. The guys plugged in an extra 20% discount and that’s why it was so cheap. Good business practice and bought more business and recommendations from me.

Last edited:
Using autoparts.toyota.com can help you save a few bucks on parts and ATF. Try a few different dealers as they all have different discounts.

6 pack: 00279-000T4-6S
single: 00279-000T4-01

This Castrol is also a reasonable substitute. I don’t recall if I’ve used it, but it was always a back-up for T-IV:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-...tomatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/176732896

It’s the correct viscosity and says it meets T-IV. T-IV is at heart just DexIII with an updated add pack to deal with heat and wear from PWM torque converter control. Toyota even says you can top-up T-IV systems with DexIII, no problem. Boy, have prices gone up. That was like $20 to $23/gallon not long ago…

Using autoparts.toyota.com can help you save a few bucks on parts and ATF. Try a few different dealers as they all have different discounts.

6 pack: 00279-000T4-6S
single: 00279-000T4-01

Outstanding drT. I really appreciate your help here. I’m lucky there’s one like 6 miles away from me. And I did go there 8 years ago and got coolant for the lady’s 98 Camry. I was sit it was reasonably priced.

Yea
This Castrol is also a reasonable substitute. I don’t recall if I’ve used it, but it was always a back-up for T-IV:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-...tomatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/176732896

It’s the correct viscosity and says it meets T-IV. T-IV is at heart just DexIII with an updated add pack to deal with heat and wear from PWM torque converter control. Toyota even says you can top-up T-IV systems with DexIII, no problem. Boy, have prices gone up. That was like $20 to $23/gallon not long ago.

Yeah seriously… major increase in the last 3 years. .

Base oil increase and additive package increase too.

The Honda DW-1 was 9.82 a quart last year. I have no doubt it’s gone up in the last year as welll.

Hey Jk hope you are doing good.

Yeah IF I could find OG Maxlife I would possibly run that.

I’m no fan of the regular atf / cvt transmission fluid. It’s just me. Doesn’t mean I’m right :LOL:
Is that all MaxLife sells nowadays? I haven't bought any in awhile. Sheesh.

Back