New oil spec next summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
July, 2009, is the target date for the next passenger car oil spec, ILSAC GF-5. That plans on a half-percent better fuel consumption (big deal nation-wide), greater sludge and deposit control especially for turbochargers, better retention of the phosphorus in the oil (keeping it out of the catalytic converter). More moly might be in the new formula, but the rising price ($30 per pound) and shortages might change that. Automakers, oil companies, and additive companies work together to create these new specs.

Thanks. Phosphorus retention I'm not too familiar with. Sounds similar to what Valvoline was touting in their recent ads.

Yeah I doubt that. Moly is a great additive, but I'm sure there are others.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
July, 2009, is the target date for the next passenger car oil spec, ILSAC GF-5. That plans on a half-percent better fuel consumption (big deal nation-wide), greater sludge and deposit control especially for turbochargers, better retention of the phosphorus in the oil (keeping it out of the catalytic converter). More moly might be in the new formula, but the rising price ($30 per pound) and shortages might change that. Automakers, oil companies, and additive companies work together to create these new specs.

Quite the opposite may happen with moly. Looks like Chrysler wants to see less moly b/c they say high moly oils don't produce their desired limit of 25 mg or less of coking deposits in the TEOST 33C high tep deposit control test, which they want included in the sequence.

I didn't realize there was such an issue w/ moly. Guess I'll save the VSOT for the Honda.
blush.gif

Maybe if GM buys them the issue will go away.
LOL.gif

(hijack)

why would redline oil use gobs of moly if it causes coking in high temp situations?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hooligan24
(hijack)

why would redline oil use gobs of moly if it causes coking in high temp situations?

Don't ask me, just passing on what I read in Lubes and Greases.

http://am3.olivesoftware.com/olive/am3/LNG/

But I suppose it's possible since Chrysler (and Ford) are looking at it from a point of longevity in poorly taken car of mass market rubo offerings. Redline is more of an enthusiast niche oil. Maybe redline's esters prevent the moly from adhering?
LOL.gif

The article mentions the Japanese manufacturers are big on moly (that answers a suspicion on many people's minds) and they and the oil companies are pushing for Chrysler to develop their own internal standard that doesn't have to be included in GF-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back