Auto-RX rinse phase question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just completed my cleaning phase in a 1998 Prizm with 80,000 miles, (cleaning phase 2,500 miles), I'm now going to change the oil and filter and run the 3,000 miles rinse phase. My question is that I've read many people have changed their filter more than just once during the rinse phase, is this really necessary? As far as I can tell the instructions say just to change the oil filter when you begin the rinse phase. Any opinions are helpful. thanks.

thats correct, but then again one wouldnt know if they had sludge in their engine or not. one quick way to find out is to remove the valve cover and check out the inside. if it looks clean like my 02 caravan with 103,000 miles on it, then i wouldnt worry about changing the oil filter mid way through the phase.. just get yourself a really really good oil filter (good filter, not a over price filter like K&N) .. also getting a larger filter will help too.

Many motors one can get a decent visual looking through the oil filler cap. The oversized filter is generally always a good idea.
Well maintained motors that are not on the list of sludge proned motors can run the oil filters out for the duration of both clean and rinse phases. It is also good to check the oil appearance on the dip stick at each 1000 miles of driving if unsure whether or not you have large accumulations of deposits. For exasmple if the fresh rinse oil is noticeably black at the 1000 mile mark, then a filter change during the rinse phase is likely waranted.

Quote:
but then again one wouldnt know if they had sludge in their engine or not.

Well, most don't. However IF you are using Auto-Rx for a KNOWN sludge condition, then it would surely warrant a pulling of a $2-$3 filter @ between 500-1000 miles to see if it's full of goo. If it's not, carry on, if so, change the filter.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Many motors one can get a decent visual looking through the oil filler cap. The oversized filter is generally always a good idea.
Well maintained motors that are not on the list of sludge proned motors can run the oil filters out for the duration of both clean and rinse phases. It is also good to check the oil appearance on the dip stick at each 1000 miles of driving if unsure whether or not you have large accumulations of deposits. For exasmple if the fresh rinse oil is noticeably black at the 1000 mile mark, then a filter change during the rinse phase is likely waranted.

I'm at about 1200 miles into the rinse phase in my 93 Aerostar, I had checked the oil about 200 miles ago, and it is a lot dirtier than it was at the 1000 mile mark. It is still brown in color, but at the 1000 mile mark it was surprisingly clean. I will change the filter out at 1500 miles for safe measure.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: Buick92
I've just completed my cleaning phase in a 1998 Prizm with 80,000 miles, (cleaning phase 2,500 miles), I'm now going to change the oil and filter and run the 3,000 miles rinse phase. My question is that I've read many people have changed their filter more than just once during the rinse phase, is this really necessary? As far as I can tell the instructions say just to change the oil filter when you begin the rinse phase. Any opinions are helpful. thanks.

That is the one with Corolla engine. It should not be sludged at 80K unless it has not been having regular oil changes. That is the most durable engine unless GM did something to mess it up.
It will run to 300k easy with proper maintenance.

If your removing sludge follow the application and change filters as stated.Nobody knows how much sludge is in any engine and you don,t want to fill up a filter while in cleaning or rinsing process.It,s low cost insurance.

I bought a used 2002 GMC Sierra,and I'm doing a Auto-Rx clean as we speak.At ~1250 miles,I'm going to change my oil filter and follow the sludge procedure.WHY? Why not,is my answer.I have no clue what service intervals my truck has seen.ANother oil filter (and I add Auto_rx to my make-up oil),is CHEAP insurance.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back