Age old question: new car dino or synthetic???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took early retirement, buying new 2009 corolla, which will be a daily driver,want the corolla to last for a long time... have the Z and another car...IF changed every 3-5000 miles with premium dino or say mobil 1, would there be a longevity bonus say if you hit 250-300000 miles??? Just looking for input, maybe from someone who has factual info...or just chime in....

Last edited:
if changed every 3-5K then dino is all thats needed. My opinion is there will be NO (ie..ZERO) difference if doing 5K intervals with syn or dino at 250-300K miles, again just my *opinion* and thats what the majority of the input on here is, opinion. You do have the knowledgable folks, the molakules, busters, pablos and a host of others i am sure i am forgeting that do have a great deal of knowledge who can tell you more detailed info.

Sure Bill in Utah will chime in and will have factual info.

In my 08 Corolla I use either or, I stocked up with both syn and conventional and I am expecting to get at least 400K miles on mine with no worries

Ah-hum. Sorry to tell if you don't already know...
frown.gif

The '09 Corolla oil filter is not a spin on. Saw it on a gal I knows Corolla.

You have to take it off. take it apart, replace the element and o-ring and put it back on.

An unnecessary pain.

You may wanna ut in Syn and extend it out a bit to save yourself the hassle...

Good luck.

5000 miles ok... I'm getting tired of hearing about people changing their oil at 3000 miles or sooner. Wake up people, that's ridiculous. If I were you, I'd use synthetic and change the oil every 5-7000 miles. Of course, dino is just fine too.

Both my Mazdaspeed3 and M54 engined Bimmer have cartridge filters - they're easy to deal with.

The BMW's filter is accessible from up top; between that and using a topside oiler to extract the oil, servicing it is a breeze.

The Mazda requires the use of my EZ Carlift (www.ezcarlift.com) as it is on the bottom side and protected by a plastic shield.

One word of caution though - when removing the cup that houses the filter, use the proper tool to twist it off.

I have heard stories of people using pliers and strap devices on this plastic housing and unaware to them, cracking it and later on having leaks and sometimes failure.

I bought the tool for my Mazdaspeed at PepBoys. Cheers!

My sister took her 1995 Camry to about 320k miles on dino - everything good. But now that I own a Mazda 6 (and since I'm a long OCI'r at heart) - I agree with the synth post above - use synth and chg your oil less.

ericthepig - How is her Camry now? The mid 90's were some of their best years IMO. Any varnish or oil consumption? What were the OCI's like and what did she use? (If you've seen the car and such), very curious about it. I like hearing stories about conventional going the distance to help me try to base future decisions about my car.
thumbsup2.gif

My sister "claims" she did 3k OCIs, but knowing my sister, I'm thinking some of these went quite a bit longer but ? She sold the Camry several months ago - to my knowledge she did zero maintenance to it except minor stuff. Then at 280k she broke the timing belt (I think she said it was a belt and not a chain) - she had never had it serviced - it broke but caused no problems (except that she broke down out on the Hiway between Tulsa and Oklahoma City).

BTW, my Mazda 6 has the cartridge filter - thus why I'm compelled all the more to push the OCIs.

btw - I only see my sister on holidays two or three times a year - never did look under the hood of the Camry - and never asked her about consumption. But she always talked about how great the car was, and she always credited her 3k OCIs to it's longevity.

Sooooooo where are all the oil gurus?????????Hoping someone had data from some source showing two identical cars [taxi etc] driven 300-400000 miles then had the engine tore down...Seems the only true way to answer this question...Yes, why would Toyota go to this stupid canister filter, maybe a $1.00 savings????

Today's dino's are so good there is little to be gained by going the Syn Route unless it just makes you feel good. At least in your type of application. The 3k oil change is a relic of the past. The SM standards are all about longevity and conservation of petroleum resources. You could run Super Tech dino in the appropriate viscocity and achieve the same results as M1 in your vehicle.

Welcome to the world of BITOG !

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Today's dino's are so good there is little to be gained by going the Syn Route unless it just makes you feel good. At least in your type of application. The 3k oil change is a relic of the past. The SM standards are all about longevity and conservation of petroleum resources. You could run Super Tech dino in the appropriate viscocity and achieve the same results as M1 in your vehicle.

Welcome to the world of BITOG !

Thanks been using Mobil 1 in muscle cars for years...Also in my Z06 which runs 670 rwhp and 660 rwtq....I do go for the 2500 mile changes on this beast as it does get pushed a little......

Conventional motor oils have improved substantially in the last 20 years. Modern conventional motor oils like 5W-30's with the latest SM/GF-4 rating are made from synthetic like ~ 99% pure Group II base oils. They are substantially better than the Group I based conventional oils of 15 years ago we were using for 3k miles oil changes.

These modern conventional oils (Group II) will easily deliver the same performance in terms of engine wear (longevity) and cleanliness as synthetics at 5-6k mile oil changes on a small 4 cylinder engine like in your Corolla. The rest of the car should fall apart before the engine wears out if good oil levels are maintained.

BTW, congrats on the retirement and good luck with your new endeavors.
11.gif

I mentioned this in another Toyota thread. Since the oil change interval during the warranty period is 5K miles or six months synthetic just doesn't make any sense. After warranty? Yes, with extended intervals. You could likely run 3 in 1 oil in it and it would still go 200K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back