Help me pick a Tire for my SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be needing new tires within a month or 2 for my 91 Nissan pathfinder..I'm currently running 31x10.5x15 BFG AT and have about 45k miles on it..My driving style are 90% highway and 10% city, no offroad no heavy loads or towing But I do drive on snow and ice during winter..I'm leaning towards getting a all season highway tread design tires because of my driving style and hopefully help with the gas mileage as well. I've been looking at tirerack,discounttire,costco,sears and walmart online..I want something with good tread life and good winter traction as well as highway friendly....TIA

I'd look at Nokian for a start. Check your size availability for the WR SUV. It'd be my SUV tire choice in a heartbeat.

yeah i have an aftermarket 15x8 rims, anything skinnier than a 10.5 tires would look funny

"I want something with good tread life and good winter traction as well as highway friendly"

You can get decent snow traction but ice can be a problem. look at the tire rack survey, check the all season and all terrain surveys. I start by picking the best ice traction.

I put Bridgestone Dueler, with very good traction and a 60k rating, on my wife's SUV.

Early last winter, I put a set of Bridgestone Dueler 695's on our Xterra after my wife slid off the road and hit a mailbox with the stock BF Goodrich Long Trails. So far we both have been very impressed with them. Although almost all of her driving is on road, she was looking for good snow/ice handling ahead of road manners. This tire has been excellent on road as well as in snow. Admittedly, we didn't have huge amounts of snow after purchasing the tires, but they did perform well. The Long Trails had hydroplaning issues since brand new and these new 695's have completely cured this. The ride, handling, and noise characteristics were almost identical to the Long Trails, with maybe just a tad more noise but at a lower freq., not bad for an all terrain tire compared to a highway tire.

The Bridgestone advertising for the 695's touts their good road manners for an all terrain tire and, so far, they have delivered well. We'll just have to see how they hold up mileage wise.

These are a fairly new design and there isn't alot of info on the net yet. I'm not sure if these will eventually replace the well regarded Revo's or not. I would think these are a tick behind them on the all-terrain scale.

Bye the way, with shipping and install factored in, Sam's Club beat the pricing of Tire Rack on these tires by a lot.

Not sure how the Cooper Discoverer Mud & Snow would wear in Nevada but a ton of people run them year round in Michigan with excellent results and wear. I know a few people that really like the Cooper ATR as well. Uusally reasonably priced. I like the Nokian Vativaa as well for snow traction, but they are expensive.

Dunlop® Grandtrek AT20 --
Got them at Sams for as replacement for the AT20's that were the original tires on my wife's Toyota Sequoia. We put 60K miles on the first set. They are quiet, good traction, and with 38 psi in the tires, the Sequoia's computer is listing the gas mileage at 18.8 MPG, with mixed driving (80% highway, 20% city).
Oh, BTW, these tires only cost $112 a piece at Sams!
With the price of gas you have to find a tire with a low rolling resistance.

I have a set of Michelin AT/2's. They do well off and on road, are very quiet, don't pick up rocks, and shed water well. However, they are spendy. They are a softer tire than my old Goodyear's but are more compliant and comfortable.

Check out the Firestone Destination LE all seasons. They are a GREAT tire. I put a set on my 07 Silverado 4WD to replace the all terrains that came on it for exactly the reasons you talk off. I don't off road and I wanted better MPG. I had always run Bridgestone Deuler AT's and AT Revo's until the gas crisis hit because of winter driving and gas being cheap. That changed when gas hit $3+.

The LE's give a great ride, they wear like iron, and they bumped my highway MPG 2 full MPG's over the OE Wrangler AT/S tires on my Silverado. The best part was they were incredible in the bad weather. I hardly ever had to touch 4WD even when driving in some real rough Northeaster's. They handled the bad weather BETTER than the OE AT's! I also waterfowl hunt into February each year and those tires had no trouble handling the snow and ice covered boat ramps while I launched and pulled my boat out.

I have never seen an all season tire perform so well in bad weather and I have run quite a few. They are hands down better than the Michelin LTX M/S tires which previously I had thought were the best all season truck tire. My 08 AWD Chevy Equinox SUV came from the factory with the LE's and they have worked just as well on the SUV as they did the truck. Just a great tire all around.

Another tire to look at is the Bridgestone Deuler H/L Alenza. Another very good all season tire but they are expensive. The Destination LE's are much more affordable.

I saw someone else mention the Dunlop Grandtrek AT20. No offense to them but DON'T DO IT! Worst darn tire I have ever had. Just horrible in the rain and snow and on ice. Poor ride quality as well.

fs_destination_le_owl_1000.jpg

bs_dueler_hl_alenza_1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortera with silent armor. I mounted them up on my girlfriends Fathers SUV and he loves the things. He took of SRA's before that, which are decent but nothing amazing.

The Michelin LTX m/s last so long you probably would not believe your odometer. They typically dry rot before the tread wears out on them, but I would say the silent armors. Latest and Greatest as far as I am concerned. The LTx 2 is more of an on/off road kind of tire.

I have the Destination LE on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Much better than the stock Goodyears! It's one of the best buys on the market for a truck/SUV tire right now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

I saw someone else mention the Dunlop Grandtrek AT20. No offense to them but DON'T DO IT! Worst darn tire I have ever had. Just horrible in the rain and snow and on ice. Poor ride quality as well.

No offense taken....I just don't understand why the AT20's on our Sequoia gave us a wonderful ride, we had no issues with traction. We did not test them in snow and ice, we don't have a lot of that stuff in southern Louisiana! We also put 60K on them and still would have gotten another 10K on them but the wife insisted on a new set. This is also the stock tires on the Lexus SUV's, they have to have a good ride for them to be able to sell those new high $$$$ vehicles.....

Worst tires I've experienced was on my work truck (FORD F-150)with Firestone Transforce HT tires. I'd get stuck in wet grass with them!

I got a set of general grabber AT/2`s they have almost the same tread pattern at a BFG AT, but they cost less and have a better treadwear warranty, i want to say 65k, they ride and handle very well, I LOVE THEM

Had Bridgestone Dueler H/T as standard on my Nissan...rubbish traction off road (even on the verge), and didn't wear well.

Maxxis 751s replaced them, and I've been very happy.

FWIW, I've been eyeing a set of Continental ContiCrossContact's for my Jeep if I can ever manage to wear out my set of cheap Walmart tires (unlikely).

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Dueler H/L Alenza.

Love 'em.

That's the one I have too and referenced above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back