GM 3800 - M1 0W-40...how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here. Long time looker, first time poster.

Here's some quick background before my question. I have the disease most here suffer from as well. All my cars have fresh oil in them, and I still have enough quarts left to do it all again. I stock 0w-40 M1, GC, and any others oils found on sale...also have 5 extra filters.

94 Mustang 5.0 gets Motorcraft 5w-30
2001 WS6 Trans Am gets GC

And now my question.

I have a 94 Regal with the 3800 V6 (non supercharged) and 109,000 miles. I found during my last oil change that 1/2 10w-40 & 1/2 10w-30 really reduced the oil consumption instead of straight 10w-30 (only added 1/3 qt in 4000 miles). With the pepboys coupons in hand, I bought some Mobil 0w-40 oil this last time. Also went and snagged some half price oil filters at AA. What are your guesses for how long this oil is capable of running in this car? What are some suggestions for checking up on the oil if I were to run an extended period? I have an oil analysis on the way from my last dino run, but the game changes with synthetic I assume.

My plan was to go 5,000 miles, do a filter change, top off, and take a sample. Based on the TBN of the sample and wear metals...go from there. It will take me about 4 months to go 5,000 miles.

I understand each engine/oil combo is different, so I guess I'm just looking for some general suggestions on how to get started.

Well I have a 3800 now, and have had one for 5 years considering both my past V6 F-bodies, and they are pretty easy on oil. If you can run the longer PF52 filter without it getting in the way or hitting something on that FWD car try running one.

I'd say 5,000mi is a bare minimum to start with... you will be perfectly safe going 5K, and I'd say in Atlanta climate you'll do fine up to 7500-10,000 depending on how you drive.

I trust the oil for 10K, just not the filter. I would do 5K mile changes simply for the convenience of remembering the number, and do UOA's every so often to make sure she's in good working order.

I too, btw, get less consumption running a 10W-40 than a 10W-30 in my 28,000mi 3800-II
smile.gif
I run Valvoline Maxlife, and likely will run it 5K soon. If the 0W-40 doesnt suit you, try running the 5W-40 Valvoline Synpower or Maxlife Synthetic.

I have a 2000 Regal w/ 90+ K miles. I'm now running GC 0W-30 and don't have consumption issues. I ran M1 10W-30 with sucess and only down 1/2 qt. in 5K miles. Good uoa.

These engines are very easy on oil. That's why they pick them for use in the sequence testing. Not fair imho.

If uoa shows your engine to be in good shape the M1 0W-40 should get you to 7.5K anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by BatmanLS1:

My plan was to go 5,000 miles, do a filter change, top off, and take a sample. Based on the TBN of the sample and wear metals...go from there. It will take me about 4 months to go 5,000 miles.

Myself , I would drain at 5 months , no sample . Then test on second interval at 5 months , 6-6500 miles .

I'm of the opinion the first analysis with a filter spin-off will not tell you how it might trend unless you plan to do this every interval which is a waste.

The oil meets GM-LL-025-A which is a no joke spec . It will go more mile and months but the iron might not be up to BITOG anaysis section
smile.gif
standards yet the motor will live forever with 25-40ppm of Fe .

Interesting thoughts Motorbike. I'll have to mull that over. I get antsy though.

What are some methods for taking a sample during a mid-interval filter change w/ top off? Could I take the sample from the oil filter? Take off the drain plug for a split second? I also have a hand pump and could possibly pump it out of the pan through the dipstick.

quote:

Originally posted by BatmanLS1:
Interesting thoughts Motorbike. I'll have to mull that over. I get antsy though.

What are some methods for taking a sample during a mid-interval filter change w/ top off? Could I take the sample from the oil filter? Take off the drain plug for a split second? I also have a hand pump and could possibly pump it out of the pan through the dipstick.

I would use the vampire pump. If pulling the plug then mid-drain is best and you don't want to do that and getting it from the filter would skew results also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back