Question about Amsoil PI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some have stated that fuel system cleaners will cause increased wear metals in UOA's. I typically add a bottle of Amosil PI in the tank of gas that precedes each oil change. So far my UOA results do not seem to be impacted by the use of Amsoil PI.

I have two questions. First, does anyone use PI more frequently than Amsoil's 4,000 mile recommendation? Second, does anyone believe that wear metals in any given UOA were impacted by their use of PI?

I am wondering if PI would be a good fuel system cleaner to use on a continuous basis. A reduced treat rate would be employed for continuous use of course.

PI is not recommended for continuous basis, and certainly is not required on a continuous basis.

I have POSSIBLY seen UOA's changed by fuel/intake cleaners. Sometimes it appears as increased lead, other times maybe not so much.

Insufficient information on PI and UOA's.

I did a double dose (2x the recommended dose in one shot) with PI and the oil smelled very much like PI during the immediate oil change after that tank of fuel.

I would always follow the directions on the back of the bottle of any fuel additive. I believe it's one of those times where more is not better.

Since PI, Red Line's SI-1, Chevron's Techron, and probably many others at this point are all the same active ingredient, you could widen your question or UOA search to include any of those products. Like Johnny, these are not the kinds of products where more is better; I'd stick to the label rate or less.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am wondering if PI would be a good fuel system cleaner to use on a continuous basis. A reduced treat rate would be employed for continuous use of course.

As Pablo says, it's not recommended. They made a point to say "this isn't a back to back usage product" at the Lancaster conference.

I (this is just ME) imagine that the small dose thing would work. You gotta figure that if you need a product at 4000 miles (or whatever line you draw), that the condition didn't just show up at 4k. But unless you can get 4k out of 12 tankfuls (20gal tanks), you're going to have a hard time measuring the dose out. Perpetual adds are difficult to stay with. If your tank is closer to 10-12 ..then you're really shaving the dose down to thimble size portions.

Redlines product said on the bottle that continuous use would not harm anything.

And excuse my ignorance but how the HECK would that affect your oil?

Originally Posted By: mjfx

Some gasoline always gets past the rings. Cleaners are particular adept, somewhat by their nature, of moving crud and the cleaner itself past the rings - especially strong cleaners at high doses.

Quote:

I have no problem with what Pablo said there ..but I would add that we've seen (some) unexplained spikes in some indicators in UOA where no other agent was added. In subsequent UOA, the condition did not reappear. It's mostly inferential. Guy has fuel issues. Guy treats fuel system. Spike in some indicators.
21.gif

I don't think that we know whether the elevated indicators are from the engine, or trace elements in the fuel treatment itself. They don't really seem to breach our BITOG anal noise level, but they get a few
54.gif
looks since it's a "where did that come from".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back