Amsoil ASL 5W-30, 6,100 miles, '03 Ford Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Open up the pdf file and press "print screen" then paste it into a paint program and then upload to a free image hosting site like photobucket. Is your Lightning stock?

Originally Posted By: 98LSC32V
Open up the pdf file and press "print screen" then paste it into a paint program and then upload to a free image hosting site like photobucket. Is your Lightning stock?

Can't copy & Paste

Miles on Oil: 6,100
Miles on unit: 46,150
Make up oil: 1 qt.

Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 1
Iron: 29
Copper: 2
Lead: 1
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 45
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 1
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 0
Boron: 32
Silicon: 18
Sodium: 6
Calcium: 2853
Magnesium: 11
Phosphorus: 576
Zinc: 768
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210*F: 61.2
cST Viscosity @ 100*C: 10.55
Flashpoint in *F: 385
Fuel%: Antifreeze%: 0.0
Water%: 0.0
Insolubles%: 0.4

TBN: 1.7

Wear metals are fine, Tbn is not. Looks like you are around your limit with this oil.

Your TBN has been severely attacked. Makes me wonder what the TAN is. Is this your first Amsoil run? Any additives used? What type of driving besides the towing? How long was the oil in for? (elapsed time) Viscosity is spot on.

Other wear metals are perfect, yet Fe is slightly elevated. I think this may be related to the above.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Your TBN has been severely attacked. Makes me wonder what the TAN is. Is this your first Amsoil run? Any additives used? What type of driving besides the towing? How long was the oil in for? (elapsed time) Viscosity is spot on.

Other wear metals are perfect, yet Fe is slightly elevated. I think this may be related to the above.

No additives used. It's my 3rd Amsoil run. Not sure how long but im guesing ~6 months maybe more.

And yes its got a K&N Intake! I clean it often

Originally Posted By: FordSVT
No additives used. It's my 3rd Amsoil run. Not sure how long but im guesing ~6 months maybe more.

How often is often? Is it perfectly dry and sufficiently oiled when reinstalled? Are you 100% sure there are no air leaks? I wouldn't sweat it, but it's worth checking. Maybe try a paper equivalent just to see.

I also would check all the emissions stuff. Does any of your driving involve short runs without getting the engine fully warm?

How often is often? Is it perfectly dry and sufficiently oiled when reinstalled? Are you 100% sure there are no air leaks? I wouldn't sweat it, but it's worth checking. Maybe try a paper equivalent just to see.

I also would check all the emissions stuff. Does any of your driving involve short runs without getting the engine fully warm?

I clean it every ~2k miles...

During the week I drive to & from school(~25 miles a day) But I do start it up when its cold to pull out of the garage and take out my weekend car(Porsche) and put it back in without it warming up.

I'll check the whole intake system to check for leaks.

I sure wish Amsoil would make filters that fit my K&N CIS filter housing. If they did, I would buy one immeeeeediately. I am seriously considering buying an Amsoil EAO oil filter as it is. The independent EAO filter test results are both believable and amazing.

Having said that.
55.gif

K&N now recommends, not cleaning their filters, if you can still see the wire mesh.
21.gif
They claim that over-cleaning, makes them filter less, while yet not making them flow any better. That seems to make sense. I dunno though. Like I said. If I was just using a K&N panel filter, or Amsoil made a replacement, I would replace it with an Amsoil filter ASAP.

I clean it every ~2k miles......But I do start it up when its cold to pull out of the garage and take out my weekend car(Porsche) and put it back in without it warming up.

BINGO X2.

That is WAY to much cleaning. I'll bet you are pulling in residual moisture as well. In combo with the "lawn mower syndrome", you'll see TBN depletion and Fe up.

I clean it every ~2k miles......But I do start it up when its cold to pull out of the garage and take out my weekend car(Porsche) and put it back in without it warming up.

BINGO X2.

That is WAY to much cleaning. I'll bet you are pulling in residual moisture as well. In combo with the "lawn mower syndrome", you'll see TBN depletion and Fe up.

"Lawn Mower Syndrome"??????????

Yea my K&N is shot. I'll be getting an Amsoil Filter then.

I'll be sticking to a 5k OCI...Hope to see my IRON drop by the next UOA.

Oh sorry - "lawn mower syndrome" is just a corny term for just rearranging the cars without warming them up, to well, get to the lawn mower.

Oh...OK well I do a lot of that!

BINGO X2.

"Lawn Mower Syndrome"??????????

Yea my K&N is shot. I'll be getting an Amsoil Filter then.

I'll be sticking to a 5k OCI...Hope to see my IRON drop by the next UOA.
I am sure you are not getting any advantage running the syn oil only 5,000 miles. Get a real air filter and go double the amsoil oil change miles or use a dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back