2010 Ford Escape XLT, 2.5 Duratec 4-Cyl, Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-20, UOA, 1963 miles, 5 months, need advice

Here is the latest UOA for my wife's 2010 Ford Escape with 2.5L I-4.
The oil was Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-20. It required no top-up oil this run.

For the last two oil changes, the OLM has been extremely conservative, asking for new oil at about
2000 miles. In the past, it would not request new oil until about 7,000 miles.

The Escape has been running normally, no overheating or anything like that. But it has been
short-tripped extensively in hot weather over the summer, and now Blackstone has flagged
an increase in iron.

A) should I worry about this?
B) why is my OLM suddenly so conservative?
C) are the iron issue and the change in OLM behavior related?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 10 ESCAPE XLT-230910.jpg
    10 ESCAPE XLT-230910.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I dug up a report for my old 2010 Escape 2.5 and found your iron numbers are pretty insane for such a short OCI. Sorry I don't have anything more helpful to add.

Attachments

• blackstone-escape-2010.jpg
    blackstone-escape-2010.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 39
The oil was Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-20. It required no top-up oil this run.

For the last two oil changes, the OLM has been extremely conservative, asking for new oil at about

The Escape has been running normally, no overheating or anything like that. But it has been
short-tripped extensively in hot weather over the summer, and now Blackstone has flagged
an increase in iron.

Thoughts?
A) Hard to tell due to the excessive short tripping.
B) Does your OLM also have a 1 year limit regardless of mileage? IOW..is this oil change 1 yr after the last one?
C) Not sure it's an issue because I'm not familiar with the methodology used by Ford.

Last edited:
A) Hard to tell due to the excessive short tripping.
B) Does your OLM also have a 1 year limit regardless of mileage? IOW..is this oil change 1 yr after the last one?
C) Not sure it's an issue but I'm not familiar with the methodology used by Ford.

Having had the same exact vehicle, I don't think the OLM hated short-tripping particularly much, however I think the default setting was a max of one year no matter how little you drive.

an increase in iron.

Thoughts?
Nothing to be immediately concerned about there, try M1 Euro 0-40 for a couple of oil runs and sample it on the second run.

The increase must be from the short trips. As long as it balances out and doesn't increase quite a bit wouldn't worry about it.

Universal Averages are based on 7100 miles. He ran less than 2000. His iron is triple the universal average when you factor in miles on oil.
Thanks Himemsys, I get that but given the newness of the engine it might be worth checking to see how it does with his good choice of oil and 6-7k. Every 3-4 months is mental.

Higher iron is directly related to short trips. There is zero reason to worry here. You have to remember, those values are PPM, as in Parts-Per-Million.
Carry on, drive more at full operating temps, and your wear metal averages will go down.
Even at this elevated stage your averages are not that far off from universal averages for that engine. End of story for this "Nothingburger."

P.S. Many OLMs factor in how much fuel has been used at full operating temps, and how much fuel has been used in the "warm-up" cycle. So if you short trip a lot, the engine spends most of it's time in the "warm-up" cycle, AKA rich fuel mixture. Rich fuel mixture potentially elevates the oil dilution, so OLM cuts back on the interval. Slightly higher iron wear is due to oil not fully warming up. Many don't know this, but after your coolant reaches its full operating temp - it still takes the oil another 10-15 mins to reach its full operating temps that the oil was designed for.

Last edited:
Back