What make of cars are easiest to work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trucks. Old trucks.

An older rear wheel drive American vehicle would be the easiest to work on. That's why most vo-techs start training on them.

I once worked at a multi-line dealership. The Japanese, German, and American technicians all swore their's was the easiest to work on.

The honest answer is that they all have easier and harder areas of the vehicle to work on.

When speaking of new cars, I say 4-cyl Toyota Camrys are tough to beat.

I can change engine oil/filter in 10 minutes with no ramps.

ATF changes are equally simple.

Radiator drain/refill and hose changes are quick.

Accessory belt is easy.

PCV is easy.

Engine air filter/cabin air filter are easy.

Spark Plugs - easy.

Plus the car never breaks....

That's why I drive one - boring as it may be!

hondas?!?!??? Certainly not our integra.

Easiest to work on would have to be the early 1980s w123 chassis MB diesels.

The were designed for super simplicity, maintainability, and relatively good access. Once you grasp how ingeniously they put stuff together, you have to wonder why others dont do the same.

In terms of pure space, Id bet that the full-size pickups with the smallest engine option are pretty easy.

IMO, 4cyl gassers are far easier to work on then their V6 counterparts. For routine PM, my 91 BMW is tough to beat. Actually, my 04 saab is suprisingly simple too...

IMO, the most difficult PM item is the ATF change. Even if you have a drain plug in the pan, ATF still drips everywhere when you remove the pan. I really hate doing ATs, regardless of make... unless there is one that has a drain plug and a spin-on filter, like an engine does.

JMH

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Trucks. Old trucks.

I remember years ago changing the water pump on my 79 GMC 1/2 ton. Me and 2 of my friend were all sitting inside of the engine bay working on different areas. I could have fit 2 350's under the hood!!

My son's RWD 92 F150 with a 5 spd and 4.9L I6 is amazingly easy to work on. To change the shocks I crawled under the truck, no jacks or lifts or stands needed, unbolted an old one, started one thru hole on a stud, clipped the plastic retainer on the shock, and as it expanded to the right length slipped it on the other stud. Installed and torqued the nuts, and moved to next one. You need take apart a good part of the suspension to change the struts on the Taurus, something that I haven't done yet.

Changing the U joints on the drivehshaft was easy too. Ball joints required more diassembly / assembly, but it was still pretty easy to do with a ball joint press. Rear drums were tedious compared to a disc, but ok with a couple of common, very affordable brake tools.

Lots of room in the engine compartment and so far everything has been easy to get at. It appears to be a very durable and fixable powertrain.

'80's BMWs are nice. Inline engines, rear wheel drive, plenty of space to get to things, no mass of vacuum junk in the engine bay either.

Last Volvo we had was an 79 245 and it was very easy to change timing belt, and headlight surrounds and grill came out w/o tools, just push and turn a spring loaded thing, and remove. Lots of room to work on the engine.....

Normally aspirated subarus are easier than hondas IMO. Not a bad wrench spot under the hood.

Nissan P-finder = disaster

M

4 cylinder Toyotas, without any doubt. That's why I have one like oily boyd. No jack needed to do any maintenance short of brakes or tires. Everything, especially spark plugs, can be done by the weekend wrench, instead of paying hundreds of dollars at a mechanic.

Glennc X2 and any ol' I6 'Merican pickup. On the slant 6, doing the points was a PITA. For the most part, Bugs were pretty easy too.

From the cars I have worked on I have to say Toyota are fairly easy to work on.

Honda is not hard to work on but engine compartment is sort of space limited. Was changing a signal bulb in the front and had to really squeeze my hand in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those old Volvos come apart w/an adjustable wrench. I like working on the Hondas, everything nice and light with minimal corrosion. I describe it as like worjking on a bicycle compared to the German cars. I tell my woman she could change the radiator in her CRV if she had to. Try that in an "old" LTD.

99 Honda Civic timing belt is much more trouble than a 4-cyl front wheel drive car should be. Otherwise I would say just about all mid to compact FWD cars are about the same difficulty wise. Mostly just lack of room though I didn't appreciate the Honda's goofy valve cover set up, 3 belts as opposed to one serpentine, and harmonic balancer bolt that takes a special tool and nothing other than a good impact wrench to remove.

RWD Volvos are the easiest to me. Plenty of room to work and a timing belt can be changed in 30 minutes. No impact wrench required.

Overall I'm fine with 80's and older (simple) or 96 and newer (OBD). Late 80's thru mid 90's are a dark age I stay away from. It varies among manufacturer though. Going back to Volvo, they kept most of their basic designs a long time before getting into FWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back