GoodYear Assurance TripleTread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyO
Quote:
I'm looking into these as well for our minivan. It's between these and the Yokohama Avid TRZ. Anybody have thoughts about which of these two tires are superior?

I have a set of TRZ's on the wife's Taurus. Dead quiet, awesome in rain, and wear like iron.

Ditto. I have the TRZ's and they are a great, great bargain right now.

I've had these tires on three vehicles. A 98 4runner, 00 Tacoma and a 07 Nitro. Hands down, the best tires I have put on any ride. The yare extremely grippy and wear fantastically. I keep them at 35psi. I have 40k on a set now and they are about 1/2 way to the grave.

Originally Posted By: Jethro
Unless I'm wrong, this tire is the continuation of the Aquatred line. I had some Aquatred 3's a few years ago on a little Eagle Talon I was driving. They were exeptional tires, for about 15,000 miles, then they got very loud and rough riding. Other than that, they did what they were supposed to do.

You are correct. My folks and I have had good experiences with the Aquadtreds and TripleTreds. Great tires.

The Triple Treds are better than Aquatreds.Unlike the Aquatreds,the tread is tapered in on the Triple Treds which helps disgard water much longer mileage wise than the Aquatreds.
At least this is what I was told by the tire installer of the Tire Rack order I placed one time.

I have the AVID TRZ's on the wife's Freestyle for summer use, and my niece/nephew have a set on their Pontiac Montana SV6 AWD mini-van (wore out the original Conti's at 11,000 miles, the dealer said they weren't rotated often enough!!). Quiet, smooth, superb traction, wet or dry, in both cases. They are very highly ranked in the reviews at TireRack.com, and carry a 700 AB treadwear/temp rating.

No experience whatsoever with the TripleTread. I'd check the reviews at TireRack for your tire size in the 3Tread - most of the reviewers there don't hold back on their opinions!!

I purchased a set of four triple treads today for my Honda Civic Hybrid. It happened to be half snowing/raining here in Chatham when I picked up the car. What a major difference in grip and handling over the OEM Bridgestones. The Bridgestones had at least another 40,000 km left in them but they were terrible in the rain and snow. I wanted one tire for all year. I hope this is the one!

Just put these on the Accord. I paid $101 per tire (matched TireRack). So far so good. Traction in the rain is excellent.

Only thing I'm concerned about after reading some of the posts is the rolling resistance of these tires due to the higher weight. I wonder if I should have chosen a lighter tire?

Buster-

I don't get the concern about a few additional pounds of weight per tire. I'd much rather have a tire on the car that is confidence inspiring.

On a 3000 pound car, this additional weight of a few pounds per tire is statistically insignificant. There is a much greater variance of weight in having a half tank of gas versus a full tank of gas.

Don't worry about something this insignificant.

cheers3.gif
Thanks. Yeah it does seem like a very small amount of weight. I'm not too familiar with the physics of rolling resistance though either.

Buster, in the other thread, I didn't mean to imply that weight should be the only issue. Obviously traction and grip should trump everything else and triple threads appear to be excellent. What I should have said is *all else equal*, a lighter tire is better. The weight of a tire is unsprung weight which is much worse than sprung weight because the conventional wisdom is that 1lbs of unsprung weight is equal to approximately 10lbs of sprung weight. So if you get a tire that is say 4lbs heavier than another comparable tire, it is as if you are lugging around 4x4x10= 160lbs of luggage in your car. On top of this, unsprung weight is even worse when it's on the outer diameter of the wheel because it takes more energy to rotate that.

Having said that, I don't know how much the tires you replaced weigh. If they are of a similar weight, you won't even notice a difference. You will mainly notice a difference of you drive the same car with a very light tire and then another one with a heavy tire back to back.

The bottomline is Mr. Silva is right. It is a very good tire and you should drive happily.

Originally Posted By: EddieB
I just put 4 of these on my 2005 Corolla this morning. I am hoping for the best and will report the performance later.

I also put a set on a '05 Corrola.MPGs when down a bit but the traction was great.
Just put a set on my son's '06 Cobalt LT coupe.

Last edited:
have the TT's on the Accord. Have close to about 40000 miles on them now. The best thing I like about them - wet traction and tread life(I wear out my tires pretty fast. This is my third and longest lasting set of tires in 103k miles).
Performance in snow is ok. Definitely better than other "all season" tires but nothing extraordinary. Dont expect winter tire performance or anywhere close to it because it is not. I have got stuck with these in deep(4-6") snow.
Road noise is in-between. They are not "noisy" but I wish they were a little quieter though.

Snow traction and Road noise performance detoriated with tread life but I guess thats they way all tires go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster

Only thing I'm concerned about after reading some of the posts is the rolling resistance of these tires due to the higher weight. I wonder if I should have chosen a lighter tire?......

You are right, the amount of mass in a tire is one of the three major factors in RR. The other 2 are deflection (load vs inflation pressure), and the tread rubber compound.

Of the 3, inbflation prsssure has the most impact - and that is something you can control. Besides, RR has to be balanced against tread wear and traction.

I've seen a few studies that seem to contradict this, but conventional wisdom in the tire industry is that it is overall less expensive to have a long wearing tire that delivers poor RR than a tire with good RR and poor wear properties.

Last edited:
Lug nugs were waaayyy over torqued. They had the tires inflated at 30 psi front and back. Bumped that up to 35 lbs for all four tires.

Wet traction was tested today in the rain and was excellent. Best wet traction tire I've ever had. They are a heavy tire, @ 25lbs, but it's not that noticeable, so far. One of the Michelin tires i passed on were 24 lbs.

I had my fiance feel the steering wheel and she didn't feel anything. Said it ever so slightly vibrates but it's not a shacking type feel. It could be just from the aggressive tread of this tire.

I just put 4 of these on my 2005 Corolla this morning. I am hoping for the best and will report the performance later.

Just a few days with these Triple Treads and I am very pleased, especially with wet traction and lower noise.

Wet traction is great. I'm no longer getting a vibration or I at least can't feel it at this point.

Just a few days with these Triple Treads and I am very pleased, especially with wet traction and lower noise.

Hey! I'm not thrilled with my first fill-up. I figure 34 MPG where as I consistently got 37 mpg before Triple Treads.
But, if the tires keep me on the road they are worth it.
Goodyear Integrity tires are dangerous.
I'm hoping the gas situation was a fluke but will report back after next fill-up.

Hey! I'm not thrilled with my first fill-up. I figure 34 MPG where as I consistently got 37 mpg before Triple Treads.
But, if the tires keep me on the road they are worth it.
Goodyear Integrity tires are dangerous.
I'm hoping the gas situation was a fluke but will report back after next fill-up.

Don't be surprised if it is not a fluke!!

1) Worn tires have better fuel economy than new tires.

2) OE tires have better fuel economy than replacement market tires.

3) This particular tire is designed for good wear, so it is probably worse for fuel economy compared to regular replacement market tires.

4) For some reason, I always hear about the fuel economy of new tires in the winter - and rarely in the summer. I think this is because of the reformulation of the fuel - even though many folks say they hadn't previously seen a difference. I still think there is something there!

Last edited:

I love the new tripletreads. I finally have traction! I'm just as happy as I can be with these tires!!!!!!!! A++++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back