Porsche Boxter M-1 5w30 20,000mi OCI?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: paul_e320
Originally Posted By: reb03

rennlist.com is another great Porsche website with forums for every model. Not sure if it's related to renntech.org in any way.

Thanks for the correction -- it is "rennlist.com" and not "rennlist.org". I have all these places bookmark so I tend to forget the actual URLs.

BTW, I posted on renntech that I built an Excel spreadsheet to graphically trend my UOAs from the Blackstone report and offered it to anyone who wanted it -- no takers though. I'm new to the Porsche community so I don't know if doing UOAs is popular or not.

Regards,
paul....

From my experience UOA's are not a terribly popular thing to do in the Porsche community. I love the community, but the ammount of Porsche lemmings is staggering. The two examples that illustrate this the best in my mind are oil and tire selection. Many will only run M1 or PS2 tires (or another N rated tire) because that is what Porsche recommends. Their typical line is that Porsche puts millions of dollars into having their cars run as best as they possibly can, therefore they have the car's best interest at heart and would only recommend the absolute best products. Nevermind the large amount of money that M1 undoubtably paid Porsche to secure the real estate for their sticker by the oil filler cap. Many are closedminded to any other possibilities regarding engine oil, or whatever else, that Porsche has not recommended. Many also don't care about UOA's since "Porsche knows their cars best". Therefore following this logic, it would be lunacy to deviate from the OCI recommended by Porsche (even though, as discussed previously in this thread, rumor is that Porsche is in the process of downgrading its OCI from 15,000 to 12 or 10,000). Oh the irony.

I think if the oil meets the spec, you're in good shape. There will always be small differences among certain brands.

Hi,
you are best to use one of the 100 or so Factory Approved lubricants in your Boxster

These are all Listed on Porsche's TI 1 1701 2/06 (dated 28 July 2006) and they have a validity on the List of between two and three years unless an extension is granted or Approval is revoked by Porsche

The Listed lubricants are of SAE40 viscosity as either 0w-40 or 5w-40 with only one SAE50 exception - M1 5w-50!

The last time a SAE30 lubricant was Approved by Porsche (all >MY84 engines except V6 (VW) Cayenne) was in 1999

M1 0w-40 is the only lubricant used by Porsche Australia via all of its Dealerships and Service Providers

As Buster alludes to, Porsche Approval does not come easy. In particular the retention of viscosity and foaming controls are significant parts of the process amongst many

Porsche's Oil Change Intervals (OCIs) are quite conservative - IME there is a safety margin of at least 50% built in. It is best to use the Factory's recommended OCI

Changing out the factory fill early is not a good thing as many Euro engine makers use a special lubricant to ensure that a suitable "bed in" is attained

Regards
Doug Hillary

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Changing out the factory fill early is not a good thing as many Euro engine makers use a special lubricant to ensure that a suitable "bed in" is attained

I've seen no evidence of that. With Audi, who's oil standards are quite similar to Porsche, and who's design practices are also quite similar, there is nothing special about their factory fill.

He probabaly referring to assembly lube and you want to keep that stuff away from rings anyhow.

Hi,
gtx510 - No, I'm actually refering to the lubricant used. This practice has been quite commonplace with some Euro engine manufacturers (both petrol & diesel)for many years

The "first fill" lubricant where/when required is delivered to the factory especially branded of course

These special blend lubricants are not for retail sale although some Dealers may be able to access them for Warranty or engine replacement purposes

Regards
Doug

I PROMISE IT WAS NOT THE SAME LAST NIGHT WHEN I POSTED THIS!!! It was the old SL formula with the old viscosities and specs! It has been changed since I posted this. I AM NOT CRAZY!

Last night it said "Porsche Approved". NOT "Special Porsche List"!!

I am not a lubrication engineer, nor do I really know the chemistry of lubricants all that well. However, if you scan just up or down, there is a significant thread on the stability over long OCIs with M1 0W40. And its not good. There are pictures of scuffing on a VW motor after 10k OCIs using 0w40, as well as reports of it breaking down to 30W or even 20W under extreme conditions and long drain intervals.

Apparently, making 0W40 requires the addition of VI improvers, whcih break down with age. No surprise here.

So, given the fact that m96 motors have some issues with the valve chains and the inetrmediate shafts, and given that porsche specifies halving the interval for "severe service" (just liek everybody else), i'd suggest that 0W40 users (like me, btw) derate the OCI to less than 7.5k. I do.

I do find the N-rating stuff to be amusing, and slightly sad. Its a car, just like any other.

If you are in a consistently warm climate, M1 15W50 is getting raves from users on PPBB that have used it for > 150k miles and >50 track days with no issues. That speaks more volumes than all the hand-waving on the planet. Balance that, however with the fact that there is no worse oil than one that cant flow, and thus starves your motor of ANY lubrication (in cold weather). For those of us who drive their m96 motored buggies on 10 deg (F) mornings to work, thin oil isn't a curse, its a blessing.

G

Originally Posted By: phaphaphooey
Originally Posted By: paul_e320
Originally Posted By: reb03

rennlist.com is another great Porsche website with forums for every model. Not sure if it's related to renntech.org in any way.

Thanks for the correction -- it is "rennlist.com" and not "rennlist.org". I have all these places bookmark so I tend to forget the actual URLs.

BTW, I posted on renntech that I built an Excel spreadsheet to graphically trend my UOAs from the Blackstone report and offered it to anyone who wanted it -- no takers though. I'm new to the Porsche community so I don't know if doing UOAs is popular or not.

Regards,
paul....

From my experience UOA's are not a terribly popular thing to do in the Porsche community. I love the community, but the ammount of Porsche lemmings is staggering. The two examples that illustrate this the best in my mind are oil and tire selection. Many will only run M1 or PS2 tires (or another N rated tire) because that is what Porsche recommends. Their typical line is that Porsche puts millions of dollars into having their cars run as best as they possibly can, therefore they have the car's best interest at heart and would only recommend the absolute best products. Nevermind the large amount of money that M1 undoubtably paid Porsche to secure the real estate for their sticker by the oil filler cap. Many are closedminded to any other possibilities regarding engine oil, or whatever else, that Porsche has not recommended. Many also don't care about UOA's since "Porsche knows their cars best". Therefore following this logic, it would be lunacy to deviate from the OCI recommended by Porsche (even though, as discussed previously in this thread, rumor is that Porsche is in the process of downgrading its OCI from 15,000 to 12 or 10,000). Oh the irony.

Hi,
the latest Porsche Approval List is dated 07/06 and it has validity for two years from that date

The Porsche factory fill is M1 0w-40

No SAE30 lubricant has been on Porsche's Approval List since 1999
(The exception is the Cayenne V6 (VW engine)

The OZ formulation M1 0w-40 SM/CF - ACEA A3/B3/B4 is ex the US and I have a container (ex Mobil yesterday) on my desk as I type this and it is NOT GF-4 compliant! It is of course Porsche Approved!!!

As Porsche move to direct injection on all new engines the service interval will be moved to one year!

Regards
Doug

Originally Posted By: Cary
Originally Posted By: PT1
I spoke to a local Porsche mechanic and he said Mobil1 15w40 only.

What a knowledgeable mechanic, he suggested you use an oil that doesn't exist.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is on the Porsche Approved list and factory fill.

You are correct:

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets key industry and car builder specifications for:

Mercedes MB 229.5
BMW Longlife 01

Porsche Approval List 2002
VW 502.00/505.00/503.01

GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)

ACEA A3, B3/B4
API SM/CF

Exceeding industry standards and the major leading builder requirements is the cornerstone of the performance reserve that lets Mobil 1 0W-40 keep performing well after conventional oils cannot. Mobil 1 0W-40 provides the widest range of protection -- providing the extreme cold start protection of an 0W grade and the high temperature protection of an SAE 40 grade.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
gtx510 - No, I'm actually refering to the lubricant used. This practice has been quite commonplace with some Euro engine manufacturers (both petrol & diesel)for many years

The "first fill" lubricant where/when required is delivered to the factory especially branded of course

These special blend lubricants are not for retail sale although some Dealers may be able to access them for Warranty or engine replacement purposes

Regards
Doug

Doug, I dont think this applies to modern engines anymore. I think it is something that was done years ago.

No special lubricants or additives, just oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back