Mobil 1 5-40 on a 5k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Audi A6. Service manual says to go 10K after first oil change. I feel a little uncomfortable with this as I typically change my oil every 3.5-4 k on dino oil. I typically keep a car to @ 200k. My question is running Mobil 1 Euro blend which conforms to VW 502 00 will this engine make it to 200K. Does lengthening the OCI interval decrease engine life.

Should I do a UOA on it to play it safe.

Ray

Mobil 1 Euro is a 0w-40 and a great oil for a new engine. Although it can go 10k easily and I've seen in go twice that. In a non-turbo Audi, I would normally say 10k is ultra-conservative and there is a evidence of that on this site. A big however is that the new FSI engines have issues with fuel in the oil which hurts it physically and chemically. "Fuel dillution" is what it's called. Look at the extensive test done by RIRS4 in developing a basicly "custom" "Secret" oil with Terry Dyson an Renewable Lubes, "RLI". Those threads are on the Euro Oils Forum and UOA lab forum. If you love your car, get some RLI and force it on your dealer for 10k runs or get an oil extractor pump and change your own oil in like 10 minutes with out putting a knee on the ground by pumpung it out through the dipstick tube. My friend has a 2007 A4 and I'll alternate dealer oil changes at 10k with quickie extractor changes at 5k, leaving the filter on. VW 502 is a lame old spec and is no good for 10k change in a FSI. Stick around and read-up, you will be glad you did.

Auto-Union,

Thanks for the reponse. Audi recomends 10K which I feel a litlle uncomfortable with. I plan to take it to Audi each 10K to keep in warranty and do a Oil change myself in between so in effect I will be changing the oil each 5K

I have been reading this board for a while, yet still some of this stuff is "over my head". I might do a UOA right before I change the next oil to see what is going on. I might need a little help when the report comes back.

Thanks again,

Ray

syn oils seem to in a properly running engine do 10,000 miles easy there are posts in the uoa section with a trick Audi engine that has feul dilution Although I know nothing about Audis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back