zMax additive for oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this also:

zMAX, known for years as Lenckite (Linkite™), cleans, penetrates and protects an engine from the inside out, reducing friction and dispersing carbon deposits, in turn improving horsepower and fuel economy while reducing wear and improving emissions. Functional in all engines and mechanical parts, the Linkite formulation (used in zMAX) is the first pure-lubricant to be approved by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) for use in piston engine aircraft.

I also found this, which is concerning:

According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.

The only reason I can think of having something soak into a bearing for protection is at start up. Why do bearing manufactures offer coated bearings now? Heat sheilding along with easier oil shedding?

Quote:
If parts ride on a film of oil, would something "soaking" into the metal really mean anything?

If oil soaks into metal, you have a crack.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
If parts ride on a film of oil, would something "soaking" into the metal really mean anything?

If oil soaks into metal, you have a crack.
metal has pores that do fill with oil.

That is very different than soaking into the metal. And all oil molecules are smaller than the asperities on the surface.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: kaboom10
I use the zMax oil additive evey 4k miles in the Amsoil 5W20 oil I use. The engine only uses a quart of oil in 12k miles. This leads me to believe it's working. Any one else use this?
Have you run the Amsoil with out the zMax? I would feel correct in saying Amsoil doesn't need snake oil added to it.

I didnt think you needed to add snake oil to a snake oil....(only kidding/highly saracastic).

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Originally Posted By: kaboom10
I use the zMax oil additive evey 4k miles in the Amsoil 5W20 oil I use. The engine only uses a quart of oil in 12k miles. This leads me to believe it's working. Any one else use this?
Have you run the Amsoil with out the zMax? I would feel correct in saying Amsoil doesn't need snake oil added to it.

I didnt think you needed to add snake oil to a snake oil....(only kidding/highly saracastic).

It makes it double snake oil which makes it twice as good....
wink.gif

I must be the only person who had a positive result from Zmax engine treatment. We had a 92 chevy work van that had about 180,000 miles on it and was using oil fairly heavily. I dumped some Zmax into the engine. It must have cleaned it out pretty good because the oil consumption dropped quite a bit. We drove it for 236,000 miles without issue. For a newer vehicle I doubt it would do anything though.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I must be the only person who had a positive result from Zmax engine treatment. We had a 92 chevy work van that had about 180,000 miles on it and was using oil fairly heavily. I dumped some Zmax into the engine. It must have cleaned it out pretty good because the oil consumption dropped quite a bit. We drove it for 236,000 miles without issue. For a newer vehicle I doubt it would do anything though.

I would find it hard to believe you would be the only one to have a positive result from it. A place I worked at sold a lot of it, so I would believe those people would say they had a positive result or I don't think they would have kept buying it.

A good friend of mine just bought a Ford Ranger with like 210k on the odo so it will be a good candidate to see what happens. He was using my garage to change the clutch and it sounded strong during the test run. We'll try to get another 200k out of it.

None of us can home-brew an oil mixture that is better than the oil company chemists produce at a given price point. If you want better oil, buy better oil...and you already did with the Amsoil. Save your money...pass by the Zmax and other additives.

(Auto-Rx is different...not really and additive and too expensive for the oil companies to sell mixed in their oil. LC20 is different...volatile and must be replenished, so it is unsuited for selling mixed in the oil.)

I am with you Ken2. Auto-RX is about the only product I will add to motor oil anymore.

Now I have not completely closed the books on Lubegard products. And if a company that makes quality motor oil like Valvoline came out with an interesting oil supplement I might be willing to try it. At least in a situation where extra additives might be useful like a hot summer.

These supposed miracle products however that appear from time to time, usually produced by some mysterious company that has no real experience in formulating motor oils, are the kind of products I will avoid.

The only real miracle product I have seen in many years for motor oil is Auto-RX.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I would find it hard to believe you would be the only one to have a positive result from it. A place I worked at sold a lot of it, so I would believe those people would say they had a positive result or I don't think they would have kept buying it.

People obviously use a buttload of oil additives because the parts store shelves are constantly being restocked.

People are afraid to talk on the internet about using additives because of the incessant attacks on their intelligence and education.

Plus people do not enjoy being called liars because of their "outrageous" mpg and performance claims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

People obviously use a buttload of oil additives because the parts store shelves are constantly being restocked.

People are afraid to talk on the internet about using additives because of the incessant attacks on their intelligence and education.

Plus people do not enjoy being called liars because of their "outrageous" mpg and performance claims.

I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back