ZF Lifeguard 8 VOA

Show me a ZF or Mopar document that states that it is approved for use in ZF transmissions...
LOL! I asked you a question first and you wouldn't answer it.

I was trying to be objective from the get-go of this thread, but apparently that's not working for you.

I would imagine it would be a challenge to find a vehicle or transmission manufacturer who will recommend a fluid other than their own.

I do know from my own personal experience with other transmissions, the fact Valvoline states their Maxlife ATF is suitable for use in the ZF8 (last page here: Maxlife ) and can point to countless owners who use it in their ZF8s and have for 100's of thousands of miles (Vern diesel with his eco diesel Ram 1500 for instance).

I'm not saying it's the only way to go. I'm saying it's a suitable option of which I've never heard of an issue with.. Well, aside from what someone stated a few posts above that I'd love to see more details about.

Based on what? I use Valvoline products, but I have seen nothing that proves Maxlife is better than approved OEM transmission fluids.
Can you prove that ZF8/9 is superior to MaxLife ATF?

Use whatever you choose but unless you can prove that the semisynthetic ZF8/9 has a better Mu(v) match, friction stability, better oxidation resistance, and better viscosity retention than does the fully synthetic MaxLife, then why argue?

Reactions: JTK

Use whatever you choose but unless you can prove that the semisynthetic ZF8/9 has a better Mu(v) match, friction stability, better oxidation resistance, and better viscosity retention than does the fully synthetic MaxLife, then why argue?
Not arguing--the same can be said in either direction. What cannot be said is that ZF or Chrysler approves Maxlife for use in their ZF transmissions. For those who want to use it in a ZF all good, but it is not approved for use in them and that was my point.

I get that no standard has been listed by either ZF or Mopar for another fluid manufacturer to build against, so in the end, you are accepting the other fluid makers statements that it is compatible. If that works for you, great, as for me I will not risk it.

LOL! I asked you a question first and you wouldn't answer it.

I was trying to be objective from the get-go of this thread, but apparently that's not working for you.

I would imagine it would be a challenge to find a vehicle or transmission manufacturer who will recommend a fluid other than their own.

I do know from my own personal experience with other transmissions, the fact Valvoline states their Maxlife ATF is suitable for use in the ZF8 (last page here: Maxlife ) and can point to countless owners who use it in their ZF8s and have for 100's of thousands of miles (Vern diesel with his eco diesel Ram 1500 for instance).

I'm not saying it's the only way to go. I'm saying it's a suitable option of which I've never heard of an issue with.. Well, aside from what someone stated a few posts above that I'd love to see more details about.
Since neither ZF or Mopar list it as an approved fluid, it is therefore not approved (which should have been self-evident) and there is nothing subjective about that. If you do not agree, then no worries, but that does not mean that I am not being objective--just factual.

But, couldn't we argue the opposite? Argue why Maxlife is as good as ZF 8, which is what ZF tested it with, and is used in quite a lot of high-end cars.

Not arguing--the same can be said in either direction. What cannot be said is that ZF or Chrysler approves Maxlife for use in their ZF transmissions. For those who want to use it in a ZF all good, but it is not approved for use in them and that was my point.

I get that no standard has been listed by either ZF or Mopar for another fluid manufacturer to build against, so in the end, you are accepting the other fluid makers statements that it is compatible. If that works for you, great, as for me I will not risk it.
Was just going to say that it could be argued the other way, but forgot to post my reply

I emailed ZF regarding the new to me Cherokee with 9spd a 948TE. Asked about ATF options. A paste of the important info.:

“The approved fluids for the ZF/Jeep 9 speed transmission are the OE Jeep fluid (68157995AB or 68218925AB) or ZF Lifeguard Fluid 9. .”

Can someone tell me what the difference is between ZF8, ZF9, and the Mopar OE branded fluids? Are any of them full synthetic? (because I’m still under warranty) are all of them green? The ZF 9 is cheaper. I was thinking about using that.

I emailed ZF regarding the new to me Cherokee with 9spd a 948TE. Asked about ATF options. A paste of the important info.:

“The approved fluids for the ZF/Jeep 9 speed transmission are the OE Jeep fluid (68157995AB or 68218925AB) or ZF Lifeguard Fluid 9. .”

Can someone tell me what the difference is between ZF8, ZF9, and the Mopar OE branded fluids? Are any of them full synthetic? (because I’m still under warranty) are all of them green? The ZF 9 is cheaper. I was thinking about using that.
They are probably all the same

From what I have been able to find all of them use a semi-synthetic base and the Mopar version is likely a rebranded version of ZF LG.

ZF Lifeguard 8 has had supply chain issues to the point of them developing a new fluid - ZF Lifeguard 8 ATF - you can read about it here -

Lifeguard 8 ATF - https://aftermarket.zf.com/us/after...il/41be9647-b9cf-4fb1-920f-2fabb2c4be8a/en-US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, I asked ZF a while back (since LG8 was in short supply) if LG9 was compatible with my 850RE transmission and the answer was yes:

Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 09:30
To: CarbonSteel
Subject: Your ZF Services Request #961736

Dear CarbonSteel,

Yes, ZF Lifeguard Fluid 9 is compatible with the 8hp50 transmission. There is also a fluid that is being introduced to the market, which is called Lifeguard Fluid 8 ATF. It might not be available yet, but it is replacing Lifeguard 8..

Your question to us:

I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with the 850RE (8HP) transmission. Can you tell me if ZF Lifeguard 9 is compatible with this transmission?

Please reply to this mail using the “Reply” button of you mail client – DO NOT CHANGE THE E-MAIL SUBJECT.

For further questions or updates please contact ZF Services North America, LLC., telephone: +1 847 478 6868.

Always provide your request ID when contacting us regarding this request, please.

Disclaimer:

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS PROVIDED TO THE REQUESTOR ON AN "AS IS, WHERE IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND (EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A SPECIFIC OR GENERAL PURPOSE AND THOSE ARISING BY STATUTE OR BY LAW, OR FROM A CAUSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. ZF DOES NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION WITH THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER ARISING UNDER BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER BASED ON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Kind regards

Your ZF Service Desk

Last edited:
Why would ZF approve other fluids? By not approving other fluids the corner the market.

I'm under the impression you both missed a thing. Actually ZF do approve several AGOs
incl. ATFs. The corresponding ZF bulletin has been posted several times on this forum.

Who says Maxlife ATF is "unapproved"?

Just like any manufaturer approval - by the manufacturer only.

I am believer that Maxlife is better or equal to OEM fluids.

Again, based on what? This is a technical forum, not a church.

I'm under the impression you both missed a thing. Actually ZF do approve several AGOs
incl. ATFs. The corresponding ZF bulletin has been posted several times on this forum.

And where is you proof that ZF fluid is better just because that is what the manufacturer specs since this is a technical forum as you claim?

As you know fluids that are specced may not be the best fluids, but are specced because they meet the requirements to some desired life and provide the best financial gain to the manufacturer.

Do you believe that the best engineered product is what is always specced/used by manufacturers?

And where is you proof that ZF fluid is better just because that is what the manufacturer specs since this is a technical forum as you claim?

Where did I claim it's better? Read and comprehend.
Approval is safe. Do we really talk on benefits of approvals in 2022 yet?
You even did claim ZF doesn't approve other fluids but they actually do.

Do you believe that the best engineered product is what is always specced/used by manufacturers?

I'd suggest you'd anwer one to the first question before you start own
questions. That said, do you even know the difference of approval and
specification?

Where did I claim it's better? Read and comprehend.
Approval is safe. Do we really talk on benefits of approvals in 2022 yet?
You even did claim ZF doesn't approve other fluids but they actually do.

I'd suggest you'd anwer one to the first question before you start own
questions. That said, do you even know the difference of approval and
specification?
Wow, you were the one questioning my statement when I said "I believe Maxlife is better" and you said this "based on what, this is a technical forum a not a church.".

ZF fluid is semi synthetic that in itself should tell you something and yet they charge approx $25/quart. Must be all the superior baseoils, addivitives, and unicorn tears. I will stick to my $6/ quart Maxlife.

When I spend that kind of money it is for a product that is proven to be superior like HPL products. But wait HPL carries no manufacturers approvals so to be safe probably best to stick with the manufacturer approved fluids (sarcasm)

And as far as comprehension, I suggest you read all the posts about the quality of Maxlife POSTED BY LOTS of users. Unless you just want to be snarky or are a ZF fanboi.

From quickly glancing at your previous posts you seems to be a fan of manufacturers approvals and if that is the path you like to follow more power to you.

What a condescending statement for you to say, do I even know the difference between and approval and a specification.

This is a technical forum not a place for your snark.

"LOTS of users" isn't reliable. Approvals are reliable. "ZF fanboi"?
That said, I don't even any ZF transmission or even ZF fluid. You
claimed ZF doesn't publish approvals to contributors. Just view:

Again, no answer so far. That tells it all, you're still trolling. Thanks.

Wow, you were the one questioning my statement when I said "I believe Maxlife is better" and you said this "based on what, this is a technical forum a not a church.".

ZF fluid is semi synthetic that in itself should tell you something and yet they charge approx $25/quart. Must be all the superior baseoils, addivitives, and unicorn tears. I will stick to my $6/ quart Maxlife.

When I spend that kind of money it is for a product that is proven to be superior like HPL products. But wait HPL carries no manufacturers approvals so to be safe probably best to stick with the manufacturer approved fluids (sarcasm)

And as far as comprehension, I suggest you read all the posts about the quality of Maxlife POSTED BY LOTS of users. Unless you just want to be snarky or are a ZF fanboi.

From quickly glancing at your previous posts you seems to be a fan of manufacturers approvals and if that is the path you like to follow more power to you.

What a condescending statement for you to say, do I even know the difference between and approval and a specification.

This is a technical forum not a place for your snark.
No, semisynthetic should not tell you anything

VW had issues with first versions of DSG in 2003. They moved from synthetic to semisynthetic fluid in 2004 and stayed that way.

Technical forum:LOL::LOL:. It's an opinion forum.

Maxlife says it can be used in Mercedes 7sp trans. People who do have lots of trans problems. Source: MB forums

From what I have been able to find all of them use a semi-synthetic base and the Mopar version is likely a rebranded version of ZF LG.

ZF Lifeguard 8 has had supply chain issues to the point of them developing a new fluid - ZF Lifeguard 8 ATF - you can read about it here -

Lifeguard 8 ATF - https://aftermarket.zf.com/us/after...il/41be9647-b9cf-4fb1-920f-2fabb2c4be8a/en-US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, I asked ZF a while back (since LG8 was in short supply) if LG9 was compatible with my 850RE transmission and the answer was yes:

Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 09:30
To: CarbonSteel
Subject: Your ZF Services Request #961736

Dear CarbonSteel,

Yes, ZF Lifeguard Fluid 9 is compatible with the 8hp50 transmission. There is also a fluid that is being introduced to the market, which is called Lifeguard Fluid 8 ATF. It might not be available yet, but it is replacing Lifeguard 8..

Your question to us:

I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with the 850RE (8HP) transmission. Can you tell me if ZF Lifeguard 9 is compatible with this transmission?

Please reply to this mail using the “Reply” button of you mail client – DO NOT CHANGE THE E-MAIL SUBJECT.

For further questions or updates please contact ZF Services North America, LLC., telephone: +1 847 478 6868.

Always provide your request ID when contacting us regarding this request, please.

Disclaimer:

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS PROVIDED TO THE REQUESTOR ON AN "AS IS, WHERE IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND (EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A SPECIFIC OR GENERAL PURPOSE AND THOSE ARISING BY STATUTE OR BY LAW, OR FROM A CAUSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. ZF DOES NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION WITH THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER ARISING UNDER BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER BASED ON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Kind regards

Your ZF Service Desk
I wonder what raw material they were having trouble sourcing in a trans fluid??

Back