Your Favorite Li-Ion Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be removing/replacing LOTS of panels at my new job (aircraft mech at Embraer-Nashville).

I'd rather get a good one now rather than having to replace in a few months.

A friend in the bidness advised against one with a keyless chuck, as he said it's constantly loosening and the bit falling out when he's removing or replacing screws. His is a Bosch. Anyone else had the same prob, or is that specific to his?

I read on another thread here that Ridgid has a lifetime warranty, which I like.

Which ones are the fastest, best batt. life, features, etc?

When buying anything, I generally look for the most features for the $$$. Don't have to have absolute top of the line, though. For example, when I bought my set of tools for work, I chose Mac over Snap-On, as Mac is still very good but not at the tip-top of the pricing pyramid.

What should I go with? Any strong opinions?

Again, I mostly expect to be using to remove and replace hundreds of machine screws a day (airliner panels).

I'd check out the Milwaukee M12 Fuel screwdriver. It's brushless and with their new 2.0 or 4.0 Ah batteries should last a good long time in your application.

I've got a bunch of the other M12 tools and love them.

Makita, Panasonic or a small Hilti driver. Stay well clear of Milwaukee! I have three 12v tools here used only a few times and all have defective batteries just out of warranty.
Milwaukee customer service is horrible they basically told me to go $hit in my hat.

Just a driver? I use a Bosch PS20-2A at work in a manufacturing facility. Its beat to heck. The company owns it so its used like its no ones property by two shifts.
When they go out they are replacing them with Milwaukee's and they are not lasting very long.

Last edited:
+1 for makita milwuakee isnt horrible i just havent had experience with them/

i just picked up a dewalt from home depot got it as an xmas present from the fam. it was only 99 bucks and came with 2 batteries. have been doing eveything and battery life is amazing.

Originally Posted By: Pete491
+1 for makita milwuakee isnt horrible i just havent had experience with them/

i just picked up a dewalt from home depot got it as an xmas present from the fam. it was only 99 bucks and came with 2 batteries. have been doing eveything and battery life is amazing.

Actually heard positive comments about a DeWalt from another friend.

I have a Ridgid drill and an impact driver, both 18v.
I have had the drill about 3 1/2 years and had the battery replaced under warranty a few months back. The exchange was hassle free, no questions asked. The local service centre ordered the replacement after I phoned requesting a new battery and called me to come down and exchange about 1week later.
I then re-registered for the lifetime warranty on the replacement.
I have since bought an impact driver that came with 2 more batteries.

This week I Drywalled the living room ceiling, driving the screws with the impact driver. The whole 300 sq ft ceiling was done on one battery charge!
Batteries fully charge in about 15 min and charge about 60% in 5min
(that's my estimate)

With the Drill, I have never had a problem with a keyless chuck.
(on any brand, I have used several cordless drills over the last 20 years)

Going back to a keyed chuck would now be difficult.

Battery performance in these applications is all about how to make power. Power is from small particle sizes and low impedance within the battery cells.

The best from that regard is the nano-LFP technology found in DeWalt batteries. Nano has more surface area, so faster reactions and more power, plus long-life high cycle capable chemistry which will keep the impedance down, which allows for continued high power long term...

I just bought one of the Milwaukee M18 Fuel and so far I'm impressed with it. I read a bunch of tests and reviews online and everyone seemed liked it best and it was marked down from $229 to $199 at Depot.

Took it home and charged the batteries, it took like 20 minutes for each battery (came with 2). I have used it several times and it has been sitting off the charger for the rest of time. Battery still has 4 bars on charge meter. I think they make Ryobi now and the green Ryobis look good, but by the time you buy all the extras it isn't much cheaper then the M18. I also liked the Makita and it was a little smaller and just slightly less powerful.

I have some contractor buddies who won't buy anything but Rigid or Dewalt, but I am not a contractor and I like the Milwaukee better.

I've used the DeWalt quite a bit now, and I'm impressed with it. Works great for my application, which is removing/replacing lots of aircraft panel machine screws.

No complaints with it. Love the light on it, since the areas where I work with it are frequently not well-lit. I looked at all the brands, and I think the DeWalt has the best lighting system.

As others have pointed out, it doesn't have a batt. gauge. But it hasn't been an issue, as I've used the unit for hours at a time and not found the bottom of the battery. At the end of a job, I'll simply switch out the batteries, place the one I was using on charge for half an hour and it's charged again.

Mine is one of their smaller 12v screw guns (DCF610S2), but it has plenty of torque even for the most stubborn screws.

It's been perfect for my use as described above. I'd recommend it as of right now. Reliability/longevity/durability remains to be seen.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I read on another thread here that Ridgid has a lifetime warranty, which I like.

I heard that you will only be allowed to claim once on the warranty.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

I heard that you will only be allowed to claim once on the warranty.

Not true,

When I collected my new battery I was given a form with the new serial # and a 1 800# (or website address) to re-register.

I have to say, honestly, the service was excellent.

I have all Bosch 10.5 or 12V cordless since my 18v(Non L-ion)Milwaukee batteries died soon after purchasing about 6 years ago. My 5+ year old Bosch tools all still have the original L-ion batteries and they work awesome. My friend has all Milwaukee 12V and he is happy. Don't let the 12 volt batteries scare you, these things are plenty powerful and light weight for using all day. If I need more power for like drilling into concrete, then I use Bosch corded.

Well, some unfortunate news to report about the DeWalt DCF-610 screw gun. About a week ago, I started experiencing problems with the unit.

I'd describe the problem as an intermittent loss of power. Like, when I hold the trigger down, the motor will run at full speed for a second, then it just loses power; does this off and on.

Been using it for less than 45 days now. Going to take it to the authorized svc center in the next couple of days. I'll post up what they find - I'm interested to hear the svc techs' diagnosis of what went wrong.

Meanwhile, I can't be without a screwgun/drill on the job, so I went over to Home Depot today and got one of the Ridgid 18v kits that includes a compact 1/2" drill and impact driver. As we talked about earlier in the thread, the units have a lifetime service agreement. Pretty sweet - that's one of the main points that motivated my decision to choose Ridgid. I did have to enter serial #s and codes from the receipt. Also, to make a claim, I'll have to show a copy of the receipt and UPC. That's not a problem though; I'll have that stuff on file.

Also came with a pretty cool 18v mini-radio. Pretty loud, and decent sound. Also has an AUX input.

Hopefully these Ridgid 18v units will be robust enough to withstand the use I'll put them through! Will post results...

John

Well, some unfortunate news to report about the DeWalt DCF-610 screw gun. About a week ago, I started experiencing problems with the unit.

I'd describe the problem as an intermittent loss of power. Like, when I hold the trigger down, the motor will run at full speed for a second, then it just loses power; does this off and on.

Been using it for less than 45 days now. Going to take it to the authorized svc center in the next couple of days. I'll post up what they find - I'm interested to hear the svc techs' diagnosis of what went wrong.

Meanwhile, I can't be without a screwgun/drill on the job, so I went over to Home Depot today and got one of the Ridgid 18v kits that includes a compact 1/2" drill and impact driver. As we talked about earlier in the thread, the units have a lifetime service agreement. Pretty sweet - that's one of the main points that motivated my decision to choose Ridgid. I did have to enter serial #s and codes from the receipt. Also, to make a claim, I'll have to show a copy of the receipt and UPC. That's not a problem though; I'll have that stuff on file.

Also came with a pretty cool 18v mini-radio. Pretty loud, and decent sound. Also has an AUX input.

Hopefully these Ridgid 18v units will be robust enough to withstand the use I'll put them through! Will post results...

John

Dewalt is disposable junk. I buy Milwaukee cordless and corded tools. They have been the most durable and best running on site in my 25 years in construction.
Makita makes decent cordless stuff but I don't like their tools in general,durability isn't great.

Did a little research and found that Ridgid tools are virtually the same as AEG, a brand sold in Europe, which is owned by TTI, the same parent company of Milwaukee:

http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands/by_brand/aeg

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/tools-and-equipment/family-tree--rigid-aeg.aspx

Interesting.
I did notice some similarities on their cordless stuff.
Good to know.
I've got 2 rigid air compressors. Electric,oiled pump,wheel barrel style but not the full sized versions and they've been trouble free for the years that I've owned them.
I can't comment on their cordless stuff but if they are Milwaukee parts in a different skin then I wouldn't have any problems buying their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back