You think I should replace my ignition coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: djb
You didn't mention the engine.

I'm assuming that you are talking about a coil-on-plug configuration with a spark plug that sits in a well. There is a "connector" on the bottom of the coil that's essentially a spark plug boot.

The geometry of 3+ valves per cylinder pretty much constrains the plugs to sit in a deep well. Typically the valve cover has individual spark plug seals. Any leak causes oil to gather in the well, with no place to drain.

The oil doesn't cause any direct problem. It is electrically non-conductive, and a good thermal conductor. But over time the additives soften the rubber, making the connector prone to splitting.

Once split, the connector is very likely to cause a misfire that's similar to a bad plug wire. Not right away, but a week or two later after a carbon track builds up from minor discharges that don't initially cause a misfire.

If you replace the valve cover gasket and clean the connectors off before they start splitting, they usually will be serviceable. It's normal for them to ooze oil for a while, most from the conductive core and a trivial amount that has soaked into the rubber. If they haven't split, just clean them off.

The coils can split from the oil? Oh great, and this is why ill be checking periodically on them by taking them out to inspect. I want to get all the oil thats traped in the rubbers pores out. Might take a couple more times of removing and drying before that happens.

The spark plug can be drowning in oil. Doesn't hurt a thing, just annoying when you go to change the plug. But it also keeps the threads from seizing... ;-)

440Magnum said:
The spark plug can be drowning in oil. Doesn't hurt a thing, just annoying when you go to change the plug. But it also keeps the threads from seizing... ;-)
[/quote

Really? I always thought spark plugs had to be completely dry and if theyre in oil it wil shorten the life of them.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
Really? I always thought spark plugs had to be completely dry and if they're in oil it will shorten the life of them.

No.

If its oil, which doesn't conduct electricity very well, you could nearly fill up the spark plug well with engine oil, snap your coil stick onto the spark plug, and drive a full spark plug change interval with little to no troubles at all.

Now, if you filled up that spark plug hole with water, and then snapped on your ignition coil stick onto the spark plug, you would almost immediately have engine problems.

Oil insulates electricity while water conducts electricity.
That's why they fill power transformers with oil. Keeps things nice and cool until the oil leaks out, and water gets in. That's what leads to explosions.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Really? I always thought spark plugs had to be completely dry and if they're in oil it will shorten the life of them.

No.

If its oil, which doesn't conduct electricity very well, you could nearly fill up the spark plug well with engine oil, snap your coil stick onto the spark plug, and drive a full spark plug change interval with little to no troubles at all.

Now, if you filled up that spark plug hole with water, and then snapped on your ignition coil stick onto the spark plug, you would almost immediately have engine problems.

Oil insulates electricity while water conducts electricity.
That's why they fill power transformers with oil. Keeps things nice and cool until the oil leaks out, and water gets in. That's what leads to explosions.

BC.

Oh I see, so then just curious why its bad for a spark plug seal (in the valve cover) to rip and leak oil? Is it cause the oil sits in the bottom of the spark hole and nowhere to drain?

what? it is one of the four Civics that he is ashamed to be seen in. I thought everybody knew that.

test, test......testing, this is only a test.

LOL.

I bet these responses we give him appear in some thesis or doctoral study, that is also available in Psychology Today.
wink.gif

Last edited:
why its bad for a spark plug seal (in the valve cover) to rip and leak oil?

Because you have an oil leak.
It's just that simple.

If you really wanted to have a worst case scenario, lets say that the spark plug hole eventually fills up with oil. Where does the oil go then?

It seeps out past the ignition coil, and the is on top of your valve cover.

If it doesn't start smoking on the hot engine at this point (more likely to start right at the hot spark plug, honestly), then its going to roll off the engine. If it hits the exhaust manifold, then you might have an oil fire under your car's hood.

Then the engine bay might catch on fire, causing the fuel line to leak, which then leads to a gasoline fire.

Then, you're driving a 75 mph fireball down the highway.

So, if you have an oil leak, I recommend fixing it.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back