You might wanna sit down for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a pump for a parts washer, run the outlet to the valve cover (alternating covers on V engines) Put the pickup in a drain pan below the removed drain plug. Pump kerosene or diesel fuel through the engine for however long floats your boat (engine not running) Let it drain over night and fill with Super Tech, crank with ignition disabled until pressure comes up, run for a short trip and change.

Never done this, just an idea. I like that engine isn't run without anti wear additives.

Why not just buy a 5-quart jug of Walmart Super-Tech for $10, which is significantly less than MMO?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Why not just buy a 5-quart jug of Walmart Super-Tech for $10, which is significantly less than MMO?

But does it have the cleaning abilities of MMO? It's only 6-7 dollar difference for 5 quarts, if I buy a gallon jug of MMO and additional quart. At least in my local walmart. But again - I will not perform this on any of my cars. This is just a theory. Unless I find a beater for super cheap.

The one I saw and liked follows. Mechanic mechanically cleaned under the valve covers. He drained the oil. Filled the sump with diesel and put a long tube down the dipstick tube and connected it to an air supply regulated down to 12PSI or so. He let that bubble for the week end. He turned the crank by hand a few times during the soak. Drained and refilled with cheap oil. Run for 50 miles or so. Changed oil and filter again. He never ran the engine with diesel in the crankcase.

At this point the engine is relatively free of sludge and the cleaning can be finished with a few short OCI/FCI with whatever is on sale.

Last edited:
Straight motor oil will clean more slowly than a motor oil / MMO blend. MMO contains solvents which can dissolve varnish. Motor oil does not.

The safest cleanup is just short oil and filter changes without additives. I do believe up to 20% MMO in the last 500 miles of the oil change is a good idea.

been there and done that, and have the shirt

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1115308/Re:_Sludge_removal_question#Post1115308

Funny you should mention the shirt. I ruined one too. I had the engine very hot for one of the changes. While changing the filter, it was hot so could not hold it very tight and when I rotated it to dump the oil in the pan it fell in the pan splashing oil on everything. I threw the shirt away and spent half an hour cleaning up the mess.
crackmeup2.gif

I used kerosine once, but only ran the engine for less than a minute. came out black anyway, while the regular oil before came out normal looking. I was using Mobil1 0w40 at that time (20 years ago)

As a long time user, satisfied customer and a bit of a fan of MMO I will say I think 100% MMO is a bad and expensive idea.

Use as directed.

If you want accelerated cleaning with MMO, use 25% of sump capacity coupled with short (like 1,500 to 2,000 mile) OCI's and inexpensive dino like SuperTech HDEO or the sort.

JMO.

Quote:
What if I replace the full capacity of oil with MMO and ran it as idle flush?

Bad move.

MMO does not have the correct oil viscosity nor does it have enough AW additive to protect your engine.

MMO is 99% 0 grade mineral oil with a bunch of solvents and little AW additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
What if I replace the full capacity of oil with MMO and ran it as idle flush?

Bad move.

MMO does not have the correct oil viscosity nor does it have enough AW additive to protect your engine.

MMO is 99% 0 grade mineral oil with a bunch of solvents and little AW additive.

Remember we're talking a cold engine here. The viscosity cold is probably OK.

How much anti wear do you need to idle it for 10 minutes at a time.

Nobody has any balls around here.

When I did the cleanup as outlined above by Welloiled. I never liked the way the engine sounded or performed. The oil/MMO blend just is not right. The viscosity is too low, the lubricity is not there and the MMO reduces the additives needed to do cleaning.

The moral of the story is don't use it unless you have to.

If you are going to use it then a 20-25% blend in the last 500 miles will be safe and get the job done. If it is really sludged up then mechanical methods would be better.

If I had it to do over again, I would just short OCI with PYB.

This has nothing to do with male anatomy parts. It is what is in the oil.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
When I did the cleanup as outlined above by Welloiled. I never liked the way the engine sounded or performed. The oil/MMO blend just is not right. The viscosity is too low, the lubricity is not there and the MMO reduces the additives needed to do cleaning.

The moral of the story is don't use it unless you have to.

If you are going to use it then a 20-25% blend in the last 500 miles will be safe and get the job done. If it is really sludged up then mechanical methods would be better.

If I had it to do over again, I would just short OCI with PYB.

This has nothing to do with male anatomy parts. It is what is in the oil.

?? You mean as outlined by yourself
21.gif
You are posting as WellOiled........

M1 high mileage 10W-40 has never failed over time to clean an old motor with no known OCI from my experience. On the Ford 429 engine that was in a mess the M1 HM 10W-40 would be black in 100 miles then cold I would spin of the filter and put on a new one filled with fresh oil. It is at the front of the engine right behind the bottom of the radiator and the F700 truck chassis is easy to crawl under so it only takes a minute.

I saw my dad do the 1 minute idle with just kerosene in our 1960 straight 6 Chevy car. I would not do it. I am ok dumping in a can of Seafoam or up to a quart of MMO for the 20 mile drive to get the oil changed or a 20 minute idle if changing it at the house.

Again I am talking about abused engines due to too few OCI's.

The 2006 Ford 500 3.0L engine is very clean inside at 113K miles with nothing more than 5K OCI at the ford dealership with MC spec oil and filters. Min start to shut down time is typically 20+ minutes in our case. It is the short trip city cars that we have bought that had crud under the valve covers.

There are some folks here who keep alter ego screen names so that they can weigh in with an alternate name and support their own arguments.
There are also a number who return under new names after each ban.
I don't mean to imply and hope that you won't infer that I think you fall into either catagory.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
There are some folks here who keep alter ego screen names so that they can weigh in with an alternate name and support their own arguments.
I don't mean to imply and hope that you won't infer that I think you fall into either catagory.

I actually simply requested the name change from the admins for the simple heck of it. Appologize if that upsets anyone:) No pun/offense intended, just tried to be somewhat funny I guess. Or tried to spice it up.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

And no- I was not banned. Just woke up one morning and decided that that was the day when I change my screen name on Bitog. Decision that trully changed my life.
laugh.gif

fdcg27 - no insults / inferences taken. I was not terribly consistent with my posts.
frown.gif
Therefore I may have triggered someones troll alert. I am still new around here and have much to learn.

It also seems that most of the evidence with respect to oil additives is anecdotal and has never been submitted to scientific methods. Therefore, you get a lot of testimonials. So when I look at my own experience with MMO, I have to wonder how much impact did the oil have and how much did the MMO have. This debate will still be running after I am dead and gone.

Maybe BITOG members should consolidate their cleanup experiences and look at the numbers to see what is most effective and under what conditions. With this group of people, I am not sure how that would ever happen.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back