Wouldja Still Use...?...Old Motor Oil

I've seen these threads from time to time but have been unable to find any recently...friend cleaning out his garage had 6 quarts of Blaine's Farm and Fleet 5W-30 full synthetic oil...still sealed but has been in his unheated or cooled garage for quite awhile.

has API Service SN/Resource Conserving GF-5 on label and code at bottom shows 0904 but I don't think this is "September of 2004" unless someone here can share more...

I may be taking over the care of a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali that takes 6 quarts of 5W-30 oil (full synthetic was not required then)...

would you still use this sealed in containers motor oil for an oil change?...I think I already know the answer but I hate to waste this...any thoughts you care to share would be appreciated.

Bill

Last edited:
I was not expecting your responses...the oil should exceed the OEM requirements for the time as it is pre Dexos GM and the recommendations for the time the vehicle was built was 5W-30 Dino Oil...this is Full Synthetic 5W-30...

I appreciate all responses...

I still have some ’green cap’ SL rated Mobil 1 from around 2004.

Its old but still good to use.

Last edited:
thanks everyone...I thought I might just be being cheap to want to use this older oil up but I have 6 sealed bottles and IIRC Blaine's Farm and Fleet Full Synthetic Oil is similar if not the same as Citgo Supergard full synthetic oil...

From what I can find, this 2005 LQ4 6.0/Vortec 6000 used 5W-30 Dino oil from the factory so this should at least better the OEM fill...

Bill

This reminds me of a funny photo caption from a few years back.

salt.jpg

Shake the bottle, twist off cap, then pour in vehicle.
I noticed the suggestion to shake the bottle also in some other threads about old oil. What is the purpose of shaking the bottle?

Also, what do people think about probably about 15 year old 5W-20 that's been opened (there's half a bottle left)?

I noticed the suggestion to shake the bottle also in some other threads about old oil. What is the purpose of shaking the bottle?

Also, what do people think about probably about 15 year old 5W-20 that's been opened (there's half a bottle left)?

At that point it turns into gun oil and goes into little craft squirt bottles I keep around for when I need a few drops of oil on something.

Tools, the bearing in my surface cleaner, wheels on carts and power tools, etc.

My feeling is that I'd have no problem using it as top off oil or Lawnmower oil.

Overtime additives may settle to the bottom, I just give it a good shake to mix it up I guess.

15 year old 5w20 would be top off oil if you have a something burning a bit of oil between change intervals for me.

thanks everyone...I thought I might just be being cheap to want to use this older oil up but I have 6 sealed bottles and IIRC Blaine's Farm and Fleet Full Synthetic Oil is similar if not the same as Citgo Supergard full synthetic oil...

From what I can find, this 2005 LQ4 6.0/Vortec 6000 used 5W-30 Dino oil from the factory so this should at least better the OEM fill...

Bill
Send it to me. I'll put it in my jeep

I've seen these threads from time to time but have been unable to find any recently...friend cleaning out his garage had 6 quarts of Blaine's Farm and Fleet 5W-30 full synthetic oil...still sealed but has been in his unheated or cooled garage for quite awhile.

has API Service SN/Resource Conserving GF-5 on label and code at bottom shows 0904 but I don't think this is "September of 2004" unless someone here can share more...

I may be taking over the care of a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali that takes 6 quarts of 5W-30 oil (full synthetic was not required then)...

would you still use this sealed in containers motor oil for an oil change?...I think I already know the answer but I hate to waste this...any thoughts you care to share would be appreciated.

Bill

Recently acquired a small amount of Total Quartz that will be stored in my garage long term. I live in the middle of Texas and its been hitting 103-105 daily, This is normal for this time of year. I put in a thermometer recently and it’s been showing 90 degrees mostly.

The point to this is one data sheet I ran across mentioned storing at no higher than 140 degrees farenheit, which implies degradation. Degradation of the additives, or plastic containers I am not sure, but my guess is plastics.

I have been going through my late father’s workshop which has a few quarts of oil. The plastic is still intact but I can tell it’s a little more fragile than new. I don’t know the age yet but likely over 20 years, similar to your find.

I would most definitely use it with confidence, but considering its 19 year old plastic, think about transferring the oil to newer containers, or even a 5 gallon bucket with a gasket to keep dust out. But if the container is still stout, don’t bother.

Back