Worst Tires Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they were Dunlop D60/A2's. Worst in snow of any tires ever owned. If I bought a car for my wife or kid that had these tires, I would get them changed on the way home>

BFG Traction T/A. I absolutely hate them. I don't know how these tires get rated so highly on the Tire Rack and other sites. They ride like they're made of rock, and they aren't very quiet either. I've had these tires for 1000 miles now and they aren't getting any better.

i would have to say the the douglas extra trac tires from walmart which are on my high top ford conversion van or the futara tires from pep boys on my grand am boy did i make a bad choice in tires lol

The worst is probably the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 on our Celica. Took 5 tries and 3 different tire places to get them to balance (finally paid Discount Tire $80 for the road force balancing). They barely grip when dry and you can spin the tires right off idle (the 1ZZ-FE is not exactly a torque monster). When it is wet you basically hang on, on the freeway you basically have to slow down to about 50-55MPH or you will hydroplane to your destination (same conditions the Energy MXV4+ on my Golf handle with serious ease).

I will say I am very impressed with the Michelin Energy's which came OEM on my Golf. Their traction characteristics in wet and dry conditions are very good, they are quiet and are wearing very well (looks like I could get at least 80k miles out of them). While the sidewalls are soft and roll over and play dead during spirited driving I don't think these tires were meant for performace driving. I just had to get them rebalanced at about 53k miles because I got a screw in one tire and after the patch and plug the balance was off, 2 of the tires do not even need wheel weights on the outer rim for balancing and the rest of the weights are 1/4 ounce. I will definately fork out $120/tire for the Energy when the originals need replacement.

To each his own I guess.

Michelin XGT-V4.

These came stock on my '96 Acura Integra GS-R. They were horrible in the snow, poor in the rain and marginal on dry roads... not to mention expensive.

The only good things about these tires are that they take forever to wear out (66k miles) and have little rolling resistance (better MPG).

Here's a list of tires that I've used since then... all of which were huge improvements:

1. Dunlop D60 A2 (discontinued)
2. Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (S-rated... will probably go back to at least an H-rated tire for better steering response)

any kind of nitto tires. but the one i had experience was nitto 450, best tires by the way are s03. a generic version of them are goodyears gsd3. i recommend the gsd3 for people that want pretty good grip with decent life span

quote:

Originally posted by 4DSC:
lol.gif

It's funny to note how nearly ALL OEM tires that cars come with are lousy in one way or another. Some are downright HATED, others are simply mediocre.

Bridgestone Potenza RE92 that came with both Nissan Maximas and Subaru WRX (and other Subarus?).

Yep, the RE92s are barely adequate on the WRX (205/55/16). They make do as winter tires until I wear them out some more.

My summer tires? Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in 225/45/17 on 17"x7" OZ Superleggeras. SOOO much better!

You have to remember though, most people could really care less about tires, and when you put premo tires on their cars, they notice no difference, because they are driving so far inside the envelope they will never expereince the difference. Worse, they will notice the harsher ride and think they are actually worse tires.

quote:

Worse, they will notice the harsher ride and think they are actually worse tires.

I'm one that dislikes the harsh ride of high performance tires. I like a tire that can encompass a wide band of features like comfort, treadwear, stopping, and cornering. If I drove a vette, I would expect a sort of harsh riding tire......but a corolla, civic, or a crown vic? Comfort is king when you get nearer to fifty years old I guess.

No the worst tires are whatever is the cheapest you can get, be it Uniroyal, Goodyear,.... Like the $20 155-13s. I call those rim-protectors.

Andrews, you should try the Goodyear Comfortread Assurance. I put a set on grandma's Ciera. Like driving on cushions. Good level of wet and dry stick as well. AA traction rating. Of course, they are very mushy in response, but once they bite, they stay planted well.

255/70 r 16 General Ameritrac's that came on my '00 Silverado.

Worst POS tires on a truck I have ever seen.

The tread looks like crap. The white letters are never white even when I scrub them.

There is no wet traction. There is no dry traction. There is no lateral grip.

I can squeel the tires when cruising at 30 and floor the gas pedal.

My 5 year old truck has only 21k miles on it and the tires are already wearing uneven.

I can't wait to bite the bullet and upgrade to 265/70 r16 Michelin LTX M/S or Cross Terrains.

Those are about the best tires money can buy for 2wd trucks or 4wd trucks that dont see mud action.

i think the worst tires i ever had were the stock generals i had on my 92 and 96 lumana vans after about 4 years i hand chunks of tread breaking off and broken belts in the tires

quote:

Originally posted by steveh:
i think the worst tires i ever had were the stock generals i had on my 92 and 96 lumana vans after about 4 years i hand chunks of tread breaking off and broken belts in the tires

Ditto. I had General tires on my old Chevy Caprice when I was in college and the same thing happened to me when I was driving back from spring break one year: belt separation and the tire literally came apart. I was lucky to notice the vibration and get to a service station that sold tires before I had a blow-out. Only one tire did it, but I went ahead and had four Cooper tires put on. Never had any problems from the Coopers.

For me, the OE Dunlop SP20 tires that came on my Sentra.

Decent in the dry, shaky in the rain, horrifying on snow, where they went sideways better than forward. In only a couple of inches of snow, I felt like I was driving an unloaded pickup truck with bald tires...

Replaced them with Goodyear Regatta 2 tires. I have put about 25,000 miles on them. Way better snow traction and much quieter.

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
BFG Traction T/A. I absolutely hate them. I don't know how these tires get rated so highly on the Tire Rack and other sites. They ride like they're made of rock, and they aren't very quiet either. I've had these tires for 1000 miles now and they aren't getting any better.

These tires are getting much better with age!

Kelly-Springfield Chargers.

I've had 3 sets. (shame on me)

1 set on a 1993 Dodge Dakota sport. (wrecked 2002)
1 set on my 2000 Blazer. (still here) 50k on them
1 set on my 2000 minivan. (still here) 22k on them

Not a single set has lasted more than 15,000 miles without going out of balance. They wear like iron and have absolutely NO grip. You can **** on them and lose it like you're on ice.

Now if I can find a good RWL tire for less than 85 bucks a pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back