Worst Tires Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pick goes to Uniroyals Tiger Paw. Had some on my vehicle a few yr's back, My mechanic kicked the tires one day to show me something strange. The tire just kept vibrating after the kik,,like ALOT!.

quote:

Originally posted by DakAttack:
My pick goes to Uniroyals Tiger Paw. Had some on my vehicle a few yr's back, My mechanic kicked the tires one day to show me something strange. The tire just kept vibrating after the kik,,like ALOT!.

I had some Tiger Paws once too. Real wobblers in corners and not too hot on a straght road either.

I am fairly happy with the Uniroyals I have on my truck now, Tiger Paw ASC. Ride good and stick to the road, wet or dry. It took me a long time to chance another set. The ones that came of my 1968 Chevelle are candidates for my worst tires. Of course they were my last set of bias ply tires. Unfair to compare them to the Pirellis I replaced them with.

Do you need a laugh? My spell check suggested urinals for Uniroyals.

I have a set of mastercraft A/t on my 03 dakota 4x4

tires seem fine. I think I will get the BF Goodrich AT next time. like the look of them. and my cousin had a set on his tacoma and the things hardly wear and was great in snow. his truck was a 2wd. but for a cheap tire I like mastercraft. they wear good and road noise is not that bad. expected the road noise to be worse.

now to the worse GOODYEAR WRANGLER RS/A (I think they came on the dak. had barely 25 K miles on the truck and had to replace.

they dont kid when they say the full name of goodyear is GOOD for a YEAR

lol.gif

I have to say I'm really not to happy with the Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my 88 Bronco II right now but they are 10 times better than the 17 year old original Firestons I replaced them with.

BTW my Goodyear Eagle I got rid of were freakin' DANGEROUS. Never, ever, ever will I sully any vehicle I own with Goodsuck tires.

Why are people saying "Good"year - shouldn't it be "Bad"year??

My Badyear's (a.k.a. Goodyears) were HORRIBLE!

Had 2 sets, a truck size of the Wrangler RT/S's, and some type that started with an "F" mini-van type set.

Both were scary to drive on, 3 on the van blew out at less then 7k miles, 1 out of round; the 4 on the truck wouldn't stay balanced for anything, down right frightening to drive on in the rain or snow. Hard as nails.

You couldn't give me another set.

Kind of the middle road for BFG's - had 2 sets of those as well, both truck type's.

1 set was the Long Trails, LOVED them from the very word go - great in snow, off-road, and they lasted FOREVER. Finally weather rotted in the desert heat after 5yrs and 70k miles.

Other set was the famous A/T KO's, wouldn't dare shell out the $$$ again. Not quite as scary in the rain as the Wrangler's - but not too far off. Not nearly as good off-road as the Yokohama Geolander's, now currently on that truck. Horrible treadwear, only lasted 20k miles, and for $170 per tire, that's just ridiculous.

I'd have to say the worst tires I ever had were the OEM Generals that came on my 1990 Caprice and lasted less than 10,000 miles. Having said that, there's no truth to the rumor that all factory tires are crap, the best tires I ever had are the Michelin OEM on my 93 Crown Vic- 97,000 miles and still half the tread,13 years old, and ride like a cloud.

Goodyear I have also had real bad luck with, short, bumpy life and blowouts. Also whatever that is that comes factory on Corollas. Don't expect to make it to 20k on those things.

All Dunlops. Dunlops have belt shift issues that cause the tire to make you car pull to one side, go out of round, vibration, and if symptoms are ignored the belts will break up and the tire will explode. The symptoms get so bad that usually people bring the car in for service before the tire explodes. Firestone 500. Blow out. Firestone Wrangler. Tread separation. Sears tires. They have the worst wet traction. Good Years have the worst side walls. Very easy to get a bubble on the sidewall and or side wall blowout if you hit something like a curb.

quote:

Firestone 500. Blow out. Firestone Wrangler. Tread separation. Sears tires. They have the worst wet traction. Good Years have the worst side walls. Very easy to get a bubble on the sidewall and or side wall blowout if you hit something like a curb.

You are dead right about every tire you listed. Let me add that the Sears tires wear very unevenly even on a proper balance and alignment. Also they can't take the abuse most tires can, hit a bump too fast and pop goes the Crossman.

One of the Goodyears that came on my 92 Grand Am got a bubble on the side wall. My local dealer dismissed it as road hazard and offered me a new tire at regular retail. Replaced it with a Firestone. Too bad, I liked the way the Goodyears rode and held the road especially in the wet. I got Goodyears again on my 02 Cavalier. So far they have held up Ok, but they are noisy.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnson994:
Dunlops have belt shift issues that cause the tire to make you car pull to one side, go out of round, vibration, and if symptoms are ignored the belts will break up and the tire will explode.

I've run Dunlop SP9000 225/50-16" on my old '96 Audi S6 for the last 2 years, 25,000 miles (40,000 km). No problems so far. As they wear I've noticed they get a little more noisy.

Good: The OEM Uniroyal Tiger Paws that came with the Suzuki Sidekick I bought in 1/1999. Both Truck and OEM tyres are still with me now, still going strong. Despite what some people say about Uniroyals suck and bite the big one, mine grip good and wear well.

Very, very bad: One name I'll never forget: Nitto tires on my 4-cylinder Honda bike, me as a teenager, decades ago. Couldn't even stop from 25 mph in a straight line without going into terminal locked-wheels syndrome. Once changed to Michelin bike tires, I managed to stop from 100 mph in 75 feet.

Worst:

Generic snow tires ("Snowmaster," Wintermaster," stuff like that)

Uniroyal Laredo truck tires. Wore great but scary.

Overrated:

Falken ZIEX-512. Mediocre performance, good price, but wore too fast for the traction provided, not good value.

Great tires:

Nokian Hakkapelitta II snow tires. Scary when new, but broken in they are just **** good. Extremely consistent traction through every kind of crap, and good on dry pavement too.

Bridgestone Revo truck tires. A revelation.

Decent:

Yokohama Avid H4, Dunlop Graspic DS-1 snows, Dunlop SP Sport A2, Pirelli P400. All good tires that just didn't blow me away.

Want to try:

BFGoodrich Traction TA

Any Michelin Pilot

Bridgestone Turanza LS-H

(The latter two are very expensive so my overdeveloped sense of value may keep me away - but does anybody have experience with them?)

- Glenn

My vote would go to the Bridgestone Duellers that came from the factory on my Tacoma. Next in line would be the Goodyear Wranglers that were on my F-150 when I bought it used. Sucked so bad that the next day I replaced them with Liberators from wally world (didnt expect to have to buy tires after buying the truck, especially with the life left in the Wranglers)cause of a low dough issue and didnt expect much, but they turned out to be a great bargain, not noisy, gripped decent in wet conditions as well as dry, wouldnt know about snow we only hear about it here. Truck rode a lot better with them. Just put a new set on.

I'll only post here about tires I've had first-hand experience with. This goes *way* back.
wink.gif

*~1970- ran bias-ply Sears Recaps on my '57 Chevy. Surprisingly, both the car & 17-yr old Stu survived! By todays standards, fairly close to death-traps. Yet other than wearing out in about 12K miles, they never gave any real problems. Cost $10 each back then!
grin.gif

*Summer '71 & '72- worked at steel company service station, mounted *lots* of cheap Generals on company pickups & cars. Truly lousy tires, it didn't matter much because they almost always got torn up long before they could begin to wear out. The few that saw any real highway service were *not* up to the job. Since then I've always refused to even consider Generals.

*~'73: worked in a tire shop for a *brief* time, & saw Firestone 721's delivered with the belts &/or plies exposed from the *inside* of the tire!
shocked.gif
Over 30 yrs later, I've never bought Firestones.

*~'73: put a set of Dunlop steel belted radials on a cute little '71 Opel Rally, to replace the factory bias 2-ply tires when they wore out. The Dunlops had to be balanced a couple of times. No matter what, they stil shook. Hmm...well, early days for radials here in the USA, huh?

*~'83: My mother bought a nice used Chevy Citation. The tires that came on it wouldn't stay balanced. They were Generals.

*~'92: Mom bought a nice used '90 Taurus w/24K miles on it. When the factory tires wore out at about 30K, she bought a set of Dunlops. Wouldn't stay balanced, & caused a lot of trouble on that car. Dunlops again...hmm...

*'96: Mom bought a nice 94 Mercury Grand Marquis, 22K miles, still had the factory Michelins on it. Dangerous in the rain, wandered on dry pavement, I made sure she got new tires within ~5K miles. She still has that car, now has Reguls on it, they're OK, nothing to brag about. Best tires ever on the big Mercury: set of Pirelli 400's- wore out kinda fast(less than 30K), but drove *great* for that whole time, & were excellent in the rain.

I don't remember which car or exactly when(late 70's-mid 80's), but I do remember having another set of Dunlops that wouldn't stay balanced. That makes 3 sets of Dunlops, all with at least one problem tire.

I've never had a bad set of tires on the Neon- the factory Goodyears wore out fairly quick(27K), but rode & drove OK. Neon's had 4 sets of tires in 187K miles. About to put my 2nd set of Kumhos(5th set of tires) on it soon.

Really good tires: the above mentioned Pirelli 400's on Mom's car, a cheap set of Pirellis(P3's?) in 165R15 on the old Volvo 122S(~160 treadwear rating, ran over 45,000 miles!), a set of Toyos, same size, lotta trouble free miles, on the Volvo when I sold it, & for pushin' the Neon around the corners, a set of BFG Comp T/A HR4's.

So, no Generals or Firestones for me.
thumbsdown.gif
My experience with Michelins on the Mercury was not encouraging.
dunno.gif
And I just can't seem to get 4 good Dunlops at once!
grin.gif

Well, I should have stuck with my first choice the GY Comfortreds....were quiet but not all that "sporty" I opted to trade them for some Michelin HydroEdges...Bar none the most noisey tire I have ever had on a car..were fine for a week...since then the sound like they are scalloped or cupped, they roar on anything other than fresh pavement and they "sing" like a snow tire. I feel like I'm riding in a Jeep CJ with oversized tires! All sorts of noises....Michelin rates them a 10 on ride and Comfort....Yeah Right!!! Maybe on a scale from 1-100!
rolleyes.gif

Very bad move on my part
frown.gif
I'm going to try to have Town Fair work out something with me to get a better tire.

On the plus side, they are great in the snow(well that one time at least)

Goose
patriot.gif

Bridgestone Eagers were the worst, ever. The were noisey, followed the rain grooves in the freeway really bad and had no wet weather traction to speak of. I had a friend of mine call me and ask if I had any problems like this in any of my cars because he had just put new tires on and they were doing all these things listed above. Without him telling me what brand or type tire he had, I asked him if they were Bridgestone Eagers. He couldn't believe I knew what tires he had bought. 2 different cars, same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back