World Economic Collapse is imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Can we get an Update?

I'm calculating this on the first business day of the month until my retirement in 2035 to show how reinvested dividends and dollar cost averaging work. If you're day-trading, feel free to update it more often.

It's been about six months since the doomers predicted the imminent world economic collapse within a couple of months. It's time to update the scoreboard. Keep saving for your retirement, friends. Even cash or gold is better than nothing, although I prefer something that bears interest or dividends. Future self thanks you.

VTI 10.11 shares (includes reinvested dividends)
Original investment $980.50
Now $1,023.33

Gold, one ounce
Original investment $1,140.49
Now $1,239.92

Are my retirement savings worth zero? No.
Is there a full-scale revolutionary war? No.

I'll continue to update this until my projected retirement in 2035.

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
How exactly do these posters define the word "imminent"

Well this thread started in August 2015...so....

Don't get me wrong the world economic situation is in progressively rough shape over the next few months years until it all falls apart ...but this is happening gradually so far.

I don't think the economy is as good as reported but I certainly don't think it is doing a face plant either. I think that gas prices being cheaper are good for the economy even though the reports of cheap oil is listed as being bad.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I don't think the economy is as good as reported but I certainly don't think it is doing a face plant either. I think that gas prices being cheaper are good for the economy even though the reports of cheap oil is listed as being bad.

Unemployment is 4.9% and some bozo says everything is doing great. Meanwhile 6000 people apply at a newly built Walmart Supercenter.
smirk.gif
Many college grads have trouble finding even a part-time job.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Unemployment is 4.9% and some bozo says everything is doing great. Meanwhile 6000 people apply at a newly built Walmart Supercenter.
smirk.gif

The ONLY thing keeping the stock market afloat is massive
manipulation by things like the "plunge protection team" in the US and similar mechanisms in other countries.

As for main street it's OBVIOUS that things are bad for many people, only a few at the top are doing well.

Originally Posted By: oemjunk
No sense in worrying about a little world economic crash. Nothing I or you can do about it.
We could somewhat prepare. But there isn't a thing we can do about it.

Unemployment is 4.9% and some bozo says everything is doing great.

I remember employment at well above 10% up here years ago, and I'm not talking the Great Depression, either.
wink.gif
Things aren't so bad.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Things aren't so bad.
Unless you are part of the 4.9% and really want a job.

smirk.gif

You need experience this day and age.Simply going to college doesnt mean anything these days,you need experience!

smirk.gif

I've been hearing people whine about the same thing most of my life. Yet I can point to lots of vacant, well paying jobs and companies that are currently hiring. Most of them require a minimum skill level, so the average high school graduate won't be eligible.

And as is typical of people who pretend to spout information about the current economy, you're touting a 4.9% unemployment rate without comparing it to historic levels. If you look at the history of the unemployment rate, we're currently at a relatively low level of unemployment when compared to the last 60 years. During the first couple years of the 1950's it was higher, during much of the 1960's it was higher, during most of the 1970's it was higher, during all of the 1980's it was higher, during the first half of the 1990's it was higher (source: Bureau of Labor Statistics).

There will always be a segment of the population that is either unemployable or, because of poor choices they've made in the past or choices they're currently making, eligible for employment only in the fast food or Walmart environment. But for someone who is skilled and willing to go after a quality job, there are jobs available.

There is always the option of going out and really showing your mettle by standing on your own by becoming self-employed rather than simply collecting a paycheck from someone else.

I agree 100% but not all STEM, accounting, architecture, pharmacy, law, etc... grads will find jobs. There are only so many jobs available in any region of the USA. Obviously more jobs in big cities, less jobs in small cities.

I sometimes post jobs that pay $26 an hour starting with benefits, only 2 year degree needed.

Many years ago when I was unemployed, I realized I was asking people to GIVE ME a job, rather than ME offering a needed service or product.

For me it was a game changer.

I sometimes post jobs that pay $26 an hour starting with benefits, only 2 year degree needed.

If your company needs you to post a $26/hr job on BITOG to fill it, I would say things are doing pretty well.

I post them if any BITOG members in the area looking for work.

Position in Palm Beach and Kissimmee, FL for internship opening next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back