World Economic Collapse is imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone believes their money isn't worth much, send it my way
smile.gif

It's easy to say it's not worth anything. But will anyone actually act on that belief?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
They are not going to use negative rates in the US, the Fed is probably going to raise rates a bit more later this year.

We don't need them anyway, the problem isn't money. Money is plentiful and cheap.

Problem is that "money" USD today isn't worth much.

ugh how does one even respond.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't know why people think SS is going away...it's not...

I think it will be means tested in the future...so only those who need it will get it.

Fundamentally, it's taking from current workers to give to current recipients. It's always been that way. It's always been a Ponzi scheme of sorts.

In the future, fewer workers will be available to tax and support the greater number of retirees.

The simple math requires increased tax collected, or delayed retirement age, or means testing to exclude some retirees.

All will be done for "fairness" of course, so that some folks will get far less than they contributed while others will get far more.

But I reckon it'll change at some point in my retirement, so, no, I don't count on it. It won't be there for some folks in the future. It's going away for them...

Ponzi scheme or not, you can't take away something people pay into all of their working lives and then not give it back to them at retirement without causing a major revolution against the gov...those who think the backlash for stopping all the entitlement programs would be bad, that would be like a walk in the park compared to what would happen if SS benefits were stopped...

Not stopped for everyone Grampi, but it's easy enough to stop it for some...

You know, the evil "rich" who control too much wealth and didn't pay ther "fair share". They don't "need" SS...

Means testing has been discussed in Congress before, and as long as the majority still get SS, it's one way to balance the looming deficit in revenue vs. entitlement that will happen because of demographics.

One, or all, of the three things I listed is going to happen...and I'm planning on the worst case. Frankly, every time the "rich" are invoked in political debate, the upper middle class get smacked. Kind of like targeting the terrorist camp and having the bomb hit a church instead. Happens every time in tax policy that targets the "rich".

You know, the evil "rich" who control too much wealth and didn't pay ther "fair share". They don't "need" SS...

Means testing has been discussed in Congress before, and as long as the majority still get SS, it's one way to balance the looming deficit in revenue vs. entitlement that will happen because of demographics.

One, or all, of the three things I listed is going to happen...and I'm planning on the worst case. Frankly, every time the "rich" are invoked in political debate, the upper middle class get smacked. Kind of like targeting the terrorist camp and having the bomb hit a church instead. Happens every time in tax policy that targets the "rich".

I agree the affluent should not receive SS benefits, I just don't trust the government to determine who is affluent...I don't consider those in the middle class, even upper middle class to be affluent...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Bandito,
You will be collecting shopping carts at your local Walmart.

Haha. Thanks Mr. Nice. My employment is secure, so I don't expect to be at Wally World anytime soon.

I agree the affluent should not receive SS benefits, I just don't trust the government to determine who is affluent...I don't consider those in the middle class, even upper middle class to be affluent...

There's the slippery slope, right there...I don't agree that the affluent should not receive SS benefits...precisely because the government will not determine it fairly.

Look at all the posts saying, in effect, "I paid into it, so I deserve something out of it"...but then we are going to say, well, that's true, except for this group of people over here?

The problem is the understanding of what SS is...it was developed and sold as a social safety net, for people too old, or sick, etc. to work. A modest tax on every worker, and the $$ are transferred to those beneficiaries.

It started out at something like a hundred workers to every beneficiary, then quickly dropped to 12 workers to every beneficiary...and we're down to 3 workers to every beneficiary...and that ratio will continue to drop. It will collapse as the population ages, unless you begin to trim benefits by raising the age, or means testing it or you begin to collect more taxes to fund it...

And the means testing is another regressive way of saying, well, you worked hard, and did the right things, so, you get nothing. Thereby reducing the incentive to work hard and save for yourself.

We have a society in which most people my age haven't saved nearly enough for retirement. They mistakenly look at a 401(k) and say, wow, I have $50,000...without understanding how little retirement income that will provide.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/20...-by-ageand.aspx

But subconsciously, or consciously, they are thinking, "I'll get Social Security" and the SS benefit has become the principal retirement income for most people...when it was never intended to be a major benefit, it was intended to be a social safety net...

And given the demographics and money trends, it won't stay solvent. Trim benefits or raise taxes, that's the simple math on SS...and while neither of those will be popular, they're coming.

And not just for the "rich"...it's amazing how many people listen to the politicians and say, "oh, it's OK, they're just going to tax the rich"...but that never happens. Not once have we been able to tax just the rich and leave the middle class unaffected. The truly rich don't get salaries like you and I. The can afford to re-structure their lives and finances to avoid whatever the tax guys dream up. The moderately successful working stiff can't, and then gets caught in the tax that was intended for the "rich". The middle class always ends up holding the bag.

What's also completely lost on people is that their incomes rise over their working lives. So, if you're typical, and you think that the government is just going to tax the rich, then you've just bought into taxing yourself in your peak earning years - your 50s and early 60s. You may think, "oh, it's just the top 5% who will be hit by this"...but with inflation, it will be the top 20% pretty soon...and that top 20% represents half the population as they transition through peak earnings.

Target: Rich

Weapon impact accuracy: 0

Collateral Damage: Middle Class

From the SSA itself: https://www.ssa.gov/history/ratios.html

Last edited:
Basically circle your wagons and save, save, save...

Those 401K charts from Fool.com are unrealistic for 90% of the USA. Most middle class working folks can barely make if month to month. Same goes for the average military family... many struggle to live the 'American Dream'

Meanwhile at your local supermarket people driving $50,000 SUV with the optional $5000 glitter and glam package are paying with their SNAP, WIC, EBT food stamps, etc...,
smirk.gif

I agree the affluent should not receive SS benefits,
I don't think that people that don't pay into it should get it. But a huge chunk of it goes to disability (for those who never worked)

More economic warfare against those that actually paid into the system and became successful in life.

How can the government possibly determine who is "rich"? What do you base it on? How much they earned when they worked? No that won't work. How much they have in the bank? How much they earn on investments? Is it current earnings or current wealth.

You trust the Government to do that? lol..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

I agree the affluent should not receive SS benefits,
I don't think that people that don't pay into it should get it. But a huge chunk of it goes to disability (for those who never worked)

More economic warfare against those that actually paid into the system and became successful in life.

How can the government possibly determine who is "rich"? What do you base it on? How much they earned when they worked? No that won't work. How much they have in the bank? How much they earn on investments? Is it current earnings or current wealth.

You trust the Government to do jthat? lol..

I don't trust the gov to do anything correctly anymore...

OK, we can agree on something.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Al

OK, we can agree on something.
smile.gif

That's shocking!
shocked2.gif

The government is our friend it is here to protect us from cradle to grave to take money away from those that work hard and long to give it to those who don't.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It's been about 14 weeks since the doomers predicted the imminent world economic collapse within a couple of months. It's time to update the scoreboard.

VTI* 10.051 shares
Original investment $980.50
Now $1,087.32

Gold, one ounce
Original investment $1,140.49
Now $1,067.30

Can we get an Update?

Anyone have a guess on when this market downturn will bottom out?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

there is no such thing as an economist who can predict such things, just gamblers talking to other gamblers.

I'm watching the 10 yr chart of the S&P 500 which very clearly points to 1575 as the retracement level. That would be a very normal 26% bear from peak to trough.

SPXU has been particularly useful for me but not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

there is no such thing as an economist who can predict such things, just gamblers talking to other gamblers.

That's why I said "Anyone have a guess ..."
wink.gif
I see a big positive uptick today (DOW +314) ... I'm thinking it's probably near the low point now. It's up to the "legal gamblers" now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back