Wix vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stickybuns
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Seem like an arrogant newb at that.
Being a newb on bitog is a badge that says I have a life.

Or an Alias who was recently banned?

I am not new. I have been here for some time. I agree with the new guy. You can have all the knowledge in the world, but if you are rude and disrespectful to people, you will never get any respect from the majority of people.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
The only explaination i can think of as to why japanese car use soso filter and yet gain extrem result is this:japanese favor a minimal amount of oil pressure everywhere .other also do this it seem,but i suspect oil pressure probably drop within engine that japan car.i suspect its something japanese discovered when they were the top dog of racing .one thing is sure .they know something .cause they keep using flow filter instead of efficienci wouldntbe surprised if soon they ised a sturdier version of ecore

In order to have lots of oil flow in an engine, it needs to have an oil pump that puts out lots of oil flow. I don't think everyday Hondas on the road have some kind of super insane oil pump that's putting out 12+ GPM. Honda engines probably don't pump any more oil volume than any other 4 or 6 cylinder on the road.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: route66mike
Motorking, whats the size distribution of test particles in 4548-12 used in the Ultra/TG case?

I read some time ago it was clumps, groups of discrete sizes.

we typically use particles in the 10-20 micron size. If your filtering at 99% at 20, it is 100% for any size larger than that. That said, we also use particle sizes down to three microns depending on the customer request.

That's a pretty tight particle range. So are the particles just 10 and 20 microns in size, or are there particles in size between 10 and 20 also in the mix?

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I am not new. I have been here for some time. I agree with the new guy. You can have all the knowledge in the world, but if you are rude and disrespectful to people, you will never get any respect from the majority of people.

Agreed, its important to disagree, and not ridicule as some posters do. Thats where sayjac is wrong, thinking anybody cares how long someone has been posting on bitog, an imaginary royal kingdom of his, when reality dictates everybody should be diplomatic in responses.

^^^^Not interested in what you think as you first criticized a long time member, then called him a derogatory/insulting name bypassing the censor. Which is on the board for all to see.

But your biggest mistake now is the harassment pm I just received from you, a violation of board rules. Bad move.

When someone can tell me how much longer my engine will last while using a WIX, Fram Ultra DIAMOND Titanium all in one filter compared to OEM. I will consider a versus thread worth my time.

Until then this entire thread is another BITOG disease of envy.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
I give, you have beat me down.
Before I mount up the horse and charge off to yet-again slay the mythology of this nearly-worthless SAE study, I'd like to offer you an opportunity to detail and discuss just what points of that SAE study you and Fram feel are appliable to the real world. Please be specific and cite your claims relative to each point made, because that is exactly how I'll debunk it.

Worthless? Ok, you win, no debate from me.

Yes - I see the study as nearly worthless, in the context I clearly define and describe. It is not at all useful in any manner of normal application in the real world. The conditions it was produced under have ZERO implication in the real world and therefore the results have zero likelihood of manifestation in the real world. In short, to reaffirm my position, that GM filter study does NOTHING to prove that filtration efficiency has any bearing on wear in real world circumstances, for the multiple reasons I have shown.

To be VERY, VERY clear here, I am NOT saying filtration is worthless or not of value, but I am specifically stating that the GM filter study so many folks point to as some manner of "proof" is completely misunderstood by most, and does not represent any manner of reality, and therefore does NOT prove, by any measure, that more efficicent filters have the effect most believe. Once a finite efficiency standard is met, having "more" does not reduce wear; this quoted study does not show any correlation or causation in that regard.

MK: No debate from you? Why? You are free to express any position you choose as long as you follow the site rules. You may be right; I may be wrong. The only way we all get "better" info is from sharing and challenging and learning.

To all: debate is healthy. Some call this discussion, others argument, others conversation, etc. I really don't care what word you use. When it's done in full view, and it's done within site rules, there is no "bad" debate. Many times I take issue with what folks post here. That is because there is an EXTREME amount of mythology and rhetoric here. I challenge what I don't agree with; you are all free to do the same. Name calling is unaccpetable. But tasking folks to back-up and prove what they state is NOT a violation of the rules. There is no rule I'm aware of that requires us to agree, nor pat each other on the back in some love-fest. There are folks here that don't care for me, and others; it's just a reflection of the world at large. So be it. But this site should NOT be about personalities, but rather sharing info and discussing that info. Want to make a statement? Fine by me. But if I find flaw or error in your statment, I have every right as a member here to challenge your statements with my own.

MK believes the GM study has merit; I do not. MK has posted no defense of his position; I have clearly defined and described why I believe the study is of no use to the common man. Each of you may now decide which viewpoint has more weight. And if you disagree with my view, then by all means feel free to accurately attack my points with your own. But when you do, leave the mythology and supposition at the doorstep please.

BTW: everyone please use the quote function when you quote other members; this is not the first time we've had misleading words in a post because some quote and don't credit properly. I would be more than willing to help anyone understand how. Just because I don't agree with some of you, does not mean I don't want to help make this a better site, and be an asset to the members. If any member needs help with this, please PM me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
When someone can tell me how much longer my engine will last while using a WIX, Fram Ultra DIAMOND Titanium all in one filter compared to OEM. I will consider a versus thread worth my time.

Until then this entire thread is another BITOG disease of envy.

This.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Yes - I see the study as nearly worthless, in the context I clearly define and describe. It is not at all useful in any manner of normal application in the real world. The conditions it was produced under have ZERO implication in the real world and therefore the results have zero likelihood of manifestation in the real world. In short, to reaffirm my position, that GM filter study does NOTHING to prove that filtration efficiency has any bearing on wear in real world circumstances, for the multiple reasons I have shown.

If the GM study has no merit, then why was it ever approved to be published and released?

You keep focusing on it's "real world merit". I don't think the study was designed to accurately reflect real world situations, but to merely try to correlate the relationship between engine wear rates to the size and quantity of wear particles in the oil. Some will look at that data and the results/conclusions made by the testers and believe there is a valid correlation that removing as much crud from the oil will benefit by keeping engine wear down. Every other "engine wear vs particle size" study I've found on the internet basically says the same thing ... the more wear particles you can filter out of the oil, the lower the engine wear will be.

If only the size and quantity of wear particles is focused upon, along with what kind of wear they can cause inside an engine, I think everyone would agree that having less wear particles is a good thing and that a higher efficiency oil filter can help achieve that goal.

Sure, the oil filter might only contribute to a relatively small percentage of the overall factors involved with preventing wear out of the 3 factors you keep referring to, but within it's niche of contribution is there really anything wrong with someone wanting to maximize that contribution?

Every other "engine wear vs particle size" study I've found on the internet basically says the same thing ... the more wear particles you can filter out of the oil, the lower the engine wear will be.

Link: Google Search

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I just lost a lot of faith and repect for your position; if you believe that GM filter study has any amount of credibility or applicability to real world filtration, then you're completely divorced from reality.

Anybody that doesn't agree with your opinion is "completely divorced from reality". You really said that. You can't just say "I take a different position", you have to accuse others of being delusional. Arrogance oozes here.

dnewton3's points are all based around a hope that an engine won't get enough particles for a high-efficiency oil filter to matter much. Hoping is fine for some, others want more assurance they have the defenses in place.

Whatever side of this issue you land on, its absurd for dnewton3 to accuse the other side they are "completely divorced from reality" and other derogatory remarks. If dnewton3 can't have a civil discourse and not bait/accuse/hound other members, he should 'divorce' himself from this subject here.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
^^^^Not interested in what you think as you first criticized a long time member, then called him a derogatory/insulting name bypassing the censor. Which is on the board for all to see.

Nobody cares about your rankings and Indian Caste System class groups you try to impose on others.

Just stay on subject and you'll give readers what they want, not your tirades.

Now BACK to subject: Having less wear producing particles in the 5 to 50 micron range is the difference between inexpensive oil filters and better ones like Fram TG/Ultra. A fleet study will help tell how much better, yet its known to be better to have less junk in the engine. So why use a cheaper oil filter when better ones exist?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Being a newb on bitog is a badge that says I have a life.

Or an Alias who was recently banned?

Bingo. FetchFar is buh bye, and his alter ego on vacation. Apparently not quite the life he professed.

Using aliases for some is the life, sad. Likely others will be created if they aren't already commenting.
wink.gif

The worst thing is if you come here being a dumber than a door nail. That is OK just keep a open mind and learn something especially when engineers and triobologist in the automotive industry share their knowledge with us.

But some people still insist on attempting to ice skate uphill for some reason. Fetchfar is one of the ice skaters.

I am using a Napa Plat/xp and I don't feel "under-protected" for my engine. I have 3 left and about 4 Puro synthetic waiting to be used. I'll have to try the Fram Ultra after I use those. Honestly I think they will all serve our cars/trucks well.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
I am using a Napa Plat/xp and I don't feel "under-protected" for my engine. I have 3 left and about 4 Puro synthetic waiting to be used. I'll have to try the Fram Ultra after I use those. Honestly I think they will all serve our cars/trucks well.

Even 50% at 20 microns, it will eventually capture the particles in a certain number of passes. I don't think it can touch the 80% @ 5 microns of the FU though.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wouldn't worry about it , Hondas don't seem to mind the lower efficiency. I have two American vehicles need everything I can get
smile.gif

Lol, I know what you mean. I used to have a Jeep. I loved that thing too.

Instead of using half a page of quotes I will offer my $.02. I was looking for a filter that was possibly less restrictive than the E-core delco and I was pointed towards the Ultra. I picked one up and was surprised it was about half the size of my OE filter.

After about 500 miles I hear less chatter upstairs after a second of starting the engine and this could be because of the filter. Seems less noisy and the jury is still out but so far so good.

As far as the greater than 20 microns, I agree with the analogy on running the mile. It's a bold statement to use 20 microns in terms of filtration coupled with 99% efficiency. The filter likely catches 20 microns but this is what seems to be getting ignored is how much @20 microns will it capture, not 21 microns......20 microns.

When a consumer sees the >20 micron @ 99%, I'm thinking 99% from 21 microns and up...so 99% @21 microns isn't hardly much difference that 20 microns.

Even with being able to filter 99% from 20 and up still doesn't show how much it will filter from 20 to 25 microns. The filter could filter 99.8 from 25 to 100 microns and that last 5 from 25 to 20 microns takes away that .08%, so there is a fine line there in terms of physics.

So with all my ramblings I will say that it's a safe bet it does well at 20 microns but how well is misleading by the "greater than" symbol.

Should have read "Filters 99% of all particles from 20 microns and up" That would give more warm fuzzies when you are looking at a 20 micron filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back