Wix glass media - XE p/n list

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go two OCI's with em, say, between 6.5K on up to 8K per. Average around 7. Wintertime is just a longer OCI for me, the garage is cold and the rest of it. I've cut them open at 3K, at 5, and my SD36 Amsoil, I cut one of those at 12K. They were all identical, no visible loading, no particles, and no damage or difference in the appearance of the media. They all heated up in lockstep with the engine, so I know they flow. All that being the case, I just cannot see replacing them at 6 or 7K. Never had a cold-start rattle in any of my Hyundais, even when. I used to use orange Fram-Cans.

We had a Ford Ranger work truck that didn't have an OCI for so long the can was about to rust off the baseplate. I cut it open, and lo and behold, cardboard endcaps, and all of it was in good shape. Black as night, but all together and it did flow before the OCI.

All this leads me to believe that we're sweating out the details on filters a little more than we ought. They're a heck of a lot more durable than they want us to believe, because, well, they want us to buy MORE of em!

I'll cut this PureOne open in a bit, maybe another 5 K (a month for me), it'll have about 12K on it, and post the pix, but I tell ya, it's gonna be like new inside.

Thanks toocrazy, I'm coming to that same conclusion about oil filter durability and loading which is why I'm willing to extend my filter changes to every third or fourth oil change now. Honda recommends 20,000 mile filter changes on some of its engines and the manual for my '95 Maxima even recommended 15,000 mile filter changes (every other oil change). I think I will go with PureOne for 15,000 miles. The PureOne flow issue has been debated here at great length and some of the more knowledgeable members of this site think it's a non-issue. (and I love the internal construction quality)

Well, yeah, I think it is. Someone of course will be along to say their engine is expensive and oil and filters cheap, so they're gonna do it whether it makes any sense or not. But these days, with these PCMOs and filters, it just ain't like back in the shade-tree days. The cars don't blow gas into the oil, the temp controls are much better, the metallurgy in these engines is otherworldly compared to probably even 10 years ago, and the base oils of even standard issue dino are apparently so close to synthetic quality (and modern additives are better too, I'm sure) that on up to 5 or 6 K you could run blind UOA on dino and syn and tell no difference for 99% of the cars and driving habits out there. It's the desire to tinker. I get it. And there are some special cases, but not so many. It simply isn't necessary for most all the cars out there.

Enjoy the long filter interval. I do!
cheers.gif

I'm with toocrazy2yoo. We just don't produce the junk we used to. If you're putting the mileage on over a short enough time span, then they just don't need to be swapped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back