The New Tokyo Roki Subaru filter

To preface this question. I was never a fan of the old blue Subaru oil filter part number 12508AA15A. Most likely made by Fram and very cheap to boot as well. So I switched to WIX-XP probably a good filter in lieu of the blue can of death. Now that Subaru of America is using the new Tokyo Roki filter part number 12508AA20A. My question is this does anyone know what the efficiency rating is for the filter media and is it a cellulose or synthetic blend media? Thanks for the info in advance. Also I am not interested in any other brands of oil filters. Not fram, k&N, mobil 1, etc…

not an answer but also a question, is it the same as the Tokyo roki black filter from factory that you are talking about? Because last time I heard Subaru run out of blue filter and dealerships are using another blue "emergency" filter without any labeling on it. that is what my dealership put on my Forester wilderness when I went for my first oil change. There is a cut open video on Mrsubaru1387 YouTube channel comparing those filters and the "emergency" filter doesn't look bad. But of course probably the Japan made Tokyo roki from factory is still better.

As the filter you are describing is an OEM filter, very unlikely you're going to find any authoritative/published efficiency info. That information is generally kept proprietary. No idea if media cellulose or blended, if not on box, info would have to come Roki. Link shows internals of the black can SOA Roki filter(s). Warning, guy's long winded may want to fast forward to 5:30 to see the filters.

To preface this question. I was never a fan of the old blue Subaru oil filter part number 12508AA15A. Most likely made by Fram and very cheap to boot as well. So I switched to WIX-XP probably a good filter in lieu of the blue can of death. Now that Subaru of America is using the new Tokyo Roki filter part number 12508AA20A. My question is this does anyone know what the efficiency rating is for the filter media and is it a cellulose or synthetic blend media? Thanks for the info in advance. Also I am not interested in any other brands of oil filters. Not fram, k&N, mobil 1, etc…
If you are truly interested in the media type and the efficency rating then you will have to be "interested" in another brand.

What is your obvious brand bias based upon?

Yes I watched that video but it left me wondering hence the questions. What I can speculate about is the Tokyo Roki for the mazda RX-8 that fits a FB-25 2.5l has a micron rating of 20 at what percentage I don’t know.

Yes I watched that video but it left me wondering hence the questions. What I can speculate about is the Tokyo Roki for the mazda RX-8 that fits a FB-25 2.5l has a micron rating of 20 at what percentage I don’t know.
Every oil filter can have a "micron rating of 20μ" ... so yes, at what percent is the mystery question. You can have one tested to find out if you have $5k to spend. Have you tried to contact Subaru? As mentioned, they probably won't say, or might not even responded, but can't hurt to try.

Every oil filter can have a "micron rating of 20μ" ... so yes, at what percent is the mystery question. You can have one tested to find out if you have $5k to spend. Have you tried to contact Subaru? As mentioned, they probably won't say, or might not even responded, but can't hurt to try.
I asked Subaru they said to contact Tokyo Roki. Then they said contact Subaru.

Yep, as I’ve noted before my window screen and my socks have a micron rating at 20 microns.

It's an ok filter.. nothing great IMO.. and that Indonesian version looks like it has a little bit thicker material. .

As the filter you are describing is an OEM filter, very unlikely you're going to find any authoritative/published efficiency info. That information is generally kept proprietary. No idea if media cellulose or blended, if not on box, info would have to come Roki. Link shows internals of the black can SOA Roki filter(s). Warning, guy's long winded may want to fast forward to 5:30 to see the filters.

In another video he talks of a MAZDA oil filter for SUBARU as a good choice .

In another video he talks of a MAZDA oil filter for SUBARU as a good choice .
As we’ve discussed in multiple threads with @ZeeOSix the Subaru engine family has excessive volume compared to other engines (12+ gpm @ 5k RPM!) and IMO this is what justifies two main points when choosing a filter: use the largest filter that will safely fit to increase media area and reduce dP; and synthetic and/or wire-backed media is simply a safe bet to improve durability to deal with the massive flow rates.

Can you use a paper filter without issues? Probably. But if one is truly concerned about the integrity of the filter in this demanding application, IMO an XG3593A or FE7317 is always going to be the safest bet. 👍🏻

OP, what is the application specifically?

Of all branded filters, Subaru seems to get the most nonsensical, biased and overrated nerd debates started by OCD loonies.

The application is for the FB-25 2.5L non turbo naturally aspirated engine for normal drain intervals.

Back