Winter tire questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Impreza has 17" wheels with a 205/50/17 tire size. I purchased a set of used 16" rims a few years back with the intention of putting winter tires on my previous Forester, but I never installed winter tires on the Forester.

205/55/16 is the OEM size for a lower trim level Impreza. Is it OK for me to put 16" winter tires on my Impreza? The previous owner of the rims used them for winter tires on a Subaru.

Second question...I saw an attractive deal on Ebay for Yokohama Ice Gard winter tires in size 205/55/16 from Discount Tire Direct. After rebates, the price is less than $300 shipped. Is this tire a good choice for the not too severe winters in NJ. I don't think I need to overkill it being that I live in NJ and they are being mounted on a Subaru. I'd like to get the opinions of others before pulling the trigger on this deal.

I use Yokohama Ice Guard ig20 in 195/55/15 6 months of the year and they are great.

1) That's a good size choice, down 1" and up a profile, 50 vs 55.

2) I have not used the "Ice Guard" line, but I used the prior gen. Yokohama snows and LOVED them. I used to live in northern VT and snow tires were serious business. Between Blizzak, Dunlop, and Nokian snows I owned, the Yokohamas outperformed them all.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

Is it OK for me to put 16" winter tires on my Impreza?

Depends on the size of your brakes. If they're small enough to fit inside 16" rims, then yes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Joe1

Is it OK for me to put 16" winter tires on my Impreza?

Depends on the size of your brakes. If they're small enough to fit inside 16" rims, then yes.

Yup, this. You already own the rims so give it a shot. Be careful around caliper bleeder nipples.

I'm going to be running 15 inch steel rims on my wife's HHR. They clear the brakes, even though the car never came with smaller than 16 inchers from the factory. More sidewall means more pothole absorbing, more flexing to toss snow from the tread, and, all else equal, more load capacity. I say go for it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm going to be running 15 inch steel rims on my wife's HHR. They clear the brakes, even though the car never came with smaller than 16 inchers from the factory. More sidewall means more pothole absorbing, more flexing to toss snow from the tread, and, all else equal, more load capacity.

Plus smaller sizes are typically less expensive.

Should be good on size as the 16" size you propose is only .2" shorter thank the standard 17" size.

But definitely check the brakes for fitment.

16" clear non-turbo forester brakes so they wont be an issue on your impreza

Those yokohama ig51v or ig52c(depending on size) are excellent ice tires and good in snow too.

Thanks for the feedback. I just purchased the Yokohama Ice Guard 52 tires from DTD in size 205/55/16. Total cost was $448 less $100 instant rebate. In addition, Yokohama has a mail in $60 Visa card. Total cost was $288 after all rebates and discounts. Free shipping included. I will get them mounted at Walmart and install them a day or two before the first snowfall this year.

I am looking forward to snow. My previous Subaru handled the snow well with all season tires. I can't wait to try the new Subaru with winter tires in the snow
smile.gif

I think the DTD $100 rebate on Ebay ends on Tuesday for those who may be interested. Good deals can be found especially when combined with a manufacturer rebate.

Last edited:
You just reminded me that I still need to do the Yokohama rebate for the Ascends I bought a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back