Winter storm Jonas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brasileno
This might be the first storm in forever they have not exaggerated.

24 to 28 inches. 20 on the ground..

Not in LA there isn't there bud
wink.gif
Or are you forgetting the location you've got listed in your profile Joseph?
grin.gif

We have about 24" and its still coming down. They might have called this one right. They closed all the highways and parkways on Long Island. In fact they don't want anyone on the roads, if you're caught driving you'll be fined.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
This seems to be the norm for east coast storms. The media hypes it for several days in advance, now they're actually being named, and we get to hear buzzwords thrown around like "snowmageddon" and dire warnings from elected officials desperate to appear to have the best interest and safety of the public at heart and get their face in front of the camera. The entire things always ends up to be a media circus. It's surprising how poorly equipped they are to handle a snowstorm, and apparently a large segment of the population isn't capable of dealing with something as common as snow in the winter.

Then there will be the aftermath; we'll hear all of the horror stories about the people who weren't smart enough to be prepared getting rescued by the national guard, and in at least one or two cities someone will call for an investigation into the lack of action by the government. All the hordes who lost electricity, rather than be a little self-reliant, will complain because they can't charge their smartphones for a few days.

Lots of media hype however you live in the middle of america(sticks?) where majority of urban centers pale in comparison to density of east coast. The areas hyped up are very dense and difficult to move snow about efficiently.

The US economy is impacted a tad because these areas contribute to US but this one thankfully occurred over weekend outside commuter hours.

I am in Cleveland...our blizzards usually end up with about 12-18" of snow and we have had probably 15-20 of them since the 1950's when I was a kid. But we routinely get 6-12 inches of snow multiple times every winter (last year we had 10 feet) so we are better prepared from a snow removal equipment perspective and more skilled at driving in it. Plus the local media has a pretty robust school closing notification system.

But when you see 1000 car accidents in a day....well it's time to make these idiots stay home.

However, this year has been pretty tame and we only have about 1-2" on the ground.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
I'm actually a bit bitter. None predicted for where I live. I think we've had like six inches total for this winter.

If we end up getting pounded for the rest of the winter I am coming after you. NEVER say something like what you just did. NEVER!!!!
33.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Latest here is for less than an inch of lLobal Warming. But, the bread and milk companies are happy.

Global warming has nothing to do with how little snow we got up here( were due to get back when you posted ). It is a change in the storm track that shifted it away from us.

Initially, when the storm first began to form, and move, we were forecast to get pounded like everyone else did( 24"+ by the end of it ). As the week went on though, the track shifted and our totals began to fall until finally we weren't even forecast to get a flurry( which we didn't
thumbsup2.gif
).

The temps up here have been in the teens and single digits at night and the 20's during the day as this storm came about. Had the storm actually come through we would have been buried like everyone else. Now, if this happened back in mid December when temps were abnormally high in the 50's+ you could make the GW argument. I don't see it now though?

Definitely not a GW issue. It was a LUCK issue. We got LUCKY that the storm track shifted sparing us. Was last winter's record snowfall in our area also GW induced?

I am sure you were joking around( hope so anyway ). I am just light heartedly commenting and no offense intended.

11.gif

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
This might be the first storm in forever they have not exaggerated. 24 to 28 inches. 20 on the ground..

If you're forecasting, you have to err on the bad side. Obviously.
People on here thinking hype is all it is need to understand the cost of the weather channel, news, government saying "Nah, nothing bad will happen, travel like crazy tomorrow."

Not an average east coast storm; this is an average Northeast (New England storm) that happened 300 miles south.

Only about 6" in my area, none reported by my friend in Poughkeepsie NY < 1 hour drive north of NYC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
This seems to be the norm for east coast storms. The media hypes it for several days in advance, now they're actually being named, and we get to hear buzzwords thrown around like "snowmageddon" and dire warnings from elected officials desperate to appear to have the best interest and safety of the public at heart and get their face in front of the camera. The entire things always ends up to be a media circus. It's surprising how poorly equipped they are to handle a snowstorm, and apparently a large segment of the population isn't capable of dealing with something as common as snow in the winter.

Then there will be the aftermath; we'll hear all of the horror stories about the people who weren't smart enough to be prepared getting rescued by the national guard, and in at least one or two cities someone will call for an investigation into the lack of action by the government. All the hordes who lost electricity, rather than be a little self-reliant, will complain because they can't charge their smartphones for a few days.

The media does play it up around here. I laughed this morning when they compared it to a storm from 1996 or whenever. I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, and I'm going to remember 1996? LOL

I did get up nice and early and did a little 4 wheeling before the plows and salt spreaders messed things up. It was an uneventful relaxing ride. I'm happy to report my 4WD works nicely.

The wind is starting to kick up now, so we shall see if the storm is all that it was hyped to be.

Do they ever play it up!!

I think something like 20 have died from this storm, and some areas are seeing massive flooding. But dealing with snow? I dunno, they were plowing Saturday early am, through Sunday AM, by Sunday pm the main streets were blacktop, and the side streets were passable. No big deal. We only got 22" though.

I remember the blizzard of 96 like it was yesterday. I had a snow shoveling business in the late 90's (HS years), it was very lucrative... Fortunately those were good years for snow and for snow days off from school!

Originally Posted By: car51
LOL! Miller88: I am in PA and 12 miles from OHIO and I got half a inch. What a joke this storm was for western pa

It wasn't supposed to be. This was a southerly and coastal storm. It dumped a bit further north than I think the models showed, but it was not intended for you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: car51
LOL! Miller88: I am in PA and 12 miles from OHIO and I got half a inch. What a joke this storm was for western pa

It wasn't supposed to be. This was a southerly and coastal storm. It dumped a bit further north than I think the models showed, but it was not intended for you
smile.gif

Initially they forecast it hitting hard all the way to NH.

I got around 29" of snow. And during the storm it was blowing sideways. It is all under my car and in the engine bay too. I am not sure what I am going to do about the stuff in the engine bay. Never had that happen before.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I got around 29" of snow. And during the storm it was blowing sideways. It is all under my car and in the engine bay too. I am not sure what I am going to do about the stuff in the engine bay. Never had that happen before.

I assume it is powder right? If so, open the hood then start the engine. It will blow a lot out. Then let it warm up and go drive it and the rest should mostly come out/melt. Or, if you have a compressor or leaf blower you can blow it out.

Last edited:

That is odd, never had that happen either. If you have gas equipment in your basement with low vents, you might want to find all them and dig them out if necessary.

Leaf blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back