Winter storm Jonas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glock19
In Virginia we're predicted to get 18-30 inches. I happen to love the snow and I work from home so it's great news to me.

I can work from home and I might do that all of next week, since they don't plow my neighborhood.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
In Virginia we're predicted to get 18-30 inches. I happen to love the snow and I work from home so it's great news to me.

Here in CO, that's known as a Tuesday.
If we named all our snowstorms after boy-bands, then we'd run out quickly, and have to start using names like "LaQeesha"....

Tropical Winter Storm Shananay FTW.

Any downgrades yet?

Here in CO, that's known as a Tuesday.
If we named all our snowstorms after boy-bands, then we'd run out quickly, and have to start using names like "LaQeesha"....

If you live in a city on east coast they are simply not set up nor really equipped to remove snow that quickly. If you live outside cities it becomes less crippling.

An example is the Jay Peak ski area in VT where they get annually 350" snow/year. They manage because of dedicated plows and delivery trucks and school buses equipped with chains. They also have a place to put the snow.

Do you live in Colorado where there is actually any population?

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Only a population of fruitcakes near Denver. I don't count them as people, but they are a population of primates anyway.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Only a population of fruitcakes near Denver. I don't count them as people, but they are a population of primates anyway.

As opposed to the folks who live like this (you?) in CO:

2EE3D02100000578-3337420-image-a-49_1448763688723.jpg

The more they hype it up, the more people tune into the weather channel and the more advertising revenue they make.

The local newspapers do it too.

A pretty good accumulation of snow here in southeastern PA so far. Drifty, the wind has kept most of the snow off the cars, which is OK by me, not too fond of clearing off the cars. But it's getting deep in places, over the tops of my boots.

Cleared a small section off the back lawn for the dogs to do their business. The chihuahua took a leak and was ready to get back in the house. Chihuahuas are NOT cold weather dogs. Back in he went. The big guy, an older beagle-border collie mix was ready for a brief romp in the snow, he stands tall enough to get through the snow. He found a thin patch of snow and did the rest of his morning business.

The snow plows have been through. Well, aside from running the snow blower a couple of times today, it looks like a slow day.

Take care.

This seems to be the norm for east coast storms. The media hypes it for several days in advance, now they're actually being named, and we get to hear buzzwords thrown around like "snowmageddon" and dire warnings from elected officials desperate to appear to have the best interest and safety of the public at heart and get their face in front of the camera. The entire things always ends up to be a media circus. It's surprising how poorly equipped they are to handle a snowstorm, and apparently a large segment of the population isn't capable of dealing with something as common as snow in the winter.

Then there will be the aftermath; we'll hear all of the horror stories about the people who weren't smart enough to be prepared getting rescued by the national guard, and in at least one or two cities someone will call for an investigation into the lack of action by the government. All the hordes who lost electricity, rather than be a little self-reliant, will complain because they can't charge their smartphones for a few days.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
This seems to be the norm for east coast storms. The media hypes it for several days in advance, now they're actually being named, and we get to hear buzzwords thrown around like "snowmageddon" and dire warnings from elected officials desperate to appear to have the best interest and safety of the public at heart and get their face in front of the camera. The entire things always ends up to be a media circus. It's surprising how poorly equipped they are to handle a snowstorm, and apparently a large segment of the population isn't capable of dealing with something as common as snow in the winter.

Then there will be the aftermath; we'll hear all of the horror stories about the people who weren't smart enough to be prepared getting rescued by the national guard, and in at least one or two cities someone will call for an investigation into the lack of action by the government. All the hordes who lost electricity, rather than be a little self-reliant, will complain because they can't charge their smartphones for a few days.

Totally agree.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

The media does play it up around here. I laughed this morning when they compared it to a storm from 1996 or whenever. I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, and I'm going to remember 1996? LOL

I did get up nice and early and did a little 4 wheeling before the plows and salt spreaders messed things up. It was an uneventful relaxing ride. I'm happy to report my 4WD works nicely.

The wind is starting to kick up now, so we shall see if the storm is all that it was hyped to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back