Winter Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove through a storm yesterday at Kootenay National Park. It's always the 4 wheel drive SUV's that hit the ditch. Guess I didn't really need the radar detector.

14D3255E-86F9-4E91-BD5D-418D5F4DAC73.jpeg

Last edited:
Several years ago:

My wife & I were driving her AWD vehicle home from an outing together when it started to snow heavily & quickly. The drive home from where we were, should have only taken under an hour but took at least double that time.

Responsible people were driving cautiously as were we and anytime a vehicle would pass us & others on the hiwy, it would kick up a HUGE dusting of snow that would cause that temporary white out. Then of course there would be those driver in 4WD/AWD vehicles that would pass others in an even faster fashion causing an even further cloud of blindness for other drivers.

Only later down the hiwy, to see several of these same vehicles into the center of the ditch on the hiwy(water runoff area) completely buried in snow up to their doors and facing in a completely different direction than they had intended.

I hope that NO ONE was hurt however, I did shout obscenities as I was passing by along with a finger gesture(not the peace sign) on our way home while still driving safely/cautiously. We did make it home unscathed though exhausted from eye strain and white knuckled.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

CB

Last edited:
We lived in Colorado high country for three decades, and I it was expected that it would be the four-wheel drive vehicles in the ditch with wheels saluting the sky. Never varied over the years.

I drove up to the Whites of NH over the weekend and there was about 2-3 inches of very wet snow when I got to our condo.
I was extremely careful until I got into the basically empty parking lot and decided to see how my relatively new General RT43s did in some gloppy stuff.

Result...I need to put the Nokian R2 SUVs on soon!

Hewre we go again all 2 WD folks implying that folks that drive AWD/4WD vechicle are inferior to them. Yaaaawwwwnnn.

Kootenay is probably my favorite out of the 5/6 national parks that are placed in the same proximity there.

Anyways, its hilarious when people think their vehicles can drive through snow like it's dry pavement because they have 4x4/awd, especially when they're on worn all seasons.

Past 10 years I've been averaging 35K miles annually and I drive mostly in the snow belt of the Upper Midwest and the Northeast. I made due with a 1997 2WD Toyota 4Runner with Blizzak DM-V1's during severe snow storms and the tires, the SUV, and my experience, has gotten me to my destination and home again without incident. In my experience of winter driving I have seen and witnessed many more semi trucks and pick ups toppled over and in the ditch during the worst snow/ice storms than I do any other type of vehicle. You couldn't pay me to use my Michelin LTX MS/2's during winter on that 2WD 4Runner over the Blizzak's after seeing what I've seen. Plus in my experience all-seasons clog up with snow way too fast and prevent safe stopping and cornering.

Seen all the time in Maryland, SUV's, many with cheap Chinese tires, or some with shiny aftermarket low profile wheels and expensive high performance tires, littering the ditches and medians.

But for sheer amusement, nothing beats watching a part time 4WD spinning rear wheels, because the driver doesn't know how to engage the front.

Originally Posted by Al
Hewre we go again all 2 WD folks implying that folks that drive AWD/4WD vechicle are inferior to them. Yaaaawwwwnnn.

Nope, just the idiots who think 4wd/AWD will trump tire condition and driving intelligence.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Drove through a storm yesterday at Kootenay National Park. It's always the 4 wheel drive SUV's that hit the ditch. Guess I didn't really need the radar detector.

Snow tires required in the winter?

I'll never forget how my dad taught me how to drive in the snow. Drove me out to an empty parking lot and the snow was almost a foot deep. Spent a good hour driving around in donuts, slides, etc etc.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
We lived in Colorado high country for three decades, and I it was expected that it would be the four-wheel drive vehicles in the ditch with wheels saluting the sky. Never varied over the years.
4X4 makes you invincible.

I always use snow tires in the winter and all seasons in the summer. Our Sienna gets Nokian Hakkas and the truck has Nordman 5 studded. The 4x4 truck gets going easier in 4hi, but doesn't stop or turn better. The sienna sometimes spins getting going, but is actually more stable once you are rolling...probably due to a more equal weight distribution. I learned to drive on a 1971 dodge coronet station wagon at a time when you put "winter" tires on the drive axle and left the "all seasons" on the other...which makes for huge fun during the 6+ months of winter.

Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back