Windshield wipers, that actually work beyond 80MPH...

What is the problem with 80 mph in the rain in a newer or well maintained car, with proper tires? That describes the commuters around here every week or so, well except for the 'maintained' and 'proper' part :) Seriously, I don't see that speed, responsibly, as a problem.

OEM is your way to go, no questions. Get the OEM and compare it to most after markets, even the premiums, and you will probably notice subtle differences. I have seen them with most of the German cars in my sig.

Genuine Mercedes and Genuine Volvo wipers have aerodynamic foils on the back of the blades to improve contact at high speed. I would think OEM BMW is similar. Hit up your dealer.
That plus you can put clip-on wings on the wiper arms for increased downforce. The vintage ones are better than the new ones.

This. Only good experience with OE BMW (and OE VW). Tried Bosch recently on the Mini and these caused some annoying wind noise. Went back to OE BMW > noise gone.

Agreed. Factory BMW wipers only! They work well on my car even above 200 km/hr.

Also, for OP, get rid of the rain-x, so annoying with the chattering wipers, and never use Rain-X washer fluid, the silicone will clog the washer system.

Do us all a favor and get your pilots license. Most of the “advice ” here is from members who would never push 80 in a driving rain but who love to talk about how they would do it if they could. The vast majority of us just want to get home in one piece with reasonable driving techniques.

Do us all a favor and get your pilots license. Most of the “advice ” here is from members who would never push 80 in a driving rain but who love to talk about how they would do it if they could. The vast majority of us just want to get home in one piece with reasonable driving techniques.
Never heard of a racetrack?

Lighten up.

Commuting home from work is not a racetrack. It’s a means of transportation from one point to another. You’ll grow up eventually. Or not.

The OP did ask a question about equipment, what's your answer to this very specific question?

I don't think airplanes have windshield wipers.

airfrance787three1.jpe

Airplane-Cockpit-Double-Windshield-Wiper-Blades.jpg

Bombardier-CRJ-900LR-Windshield.jpg

main-qimg-dffcac04ab0f5b75b381a51cc83593d4

main-qimg-ec4df944c67234be9d1429ac0eb25ee9

main-qimg-aa8a8cc9006febb6d6df1c523fefb5ec.webp

Last edited:
The OP didn't say he was driving 80 in a downpour with less than 150 feet visibility. Wipers skipping and streaking is a problem no matter if there is just a light sprinkling or a torrential downpour.

In much of California just a few raindrops cause immediate mass hysteria. Some will speed up to get away from mortal danger while others will come to a life-saving crawl. 😁

Last edited:
Those are planes in Germany. They over do everything! Besides, they are probably OEM Mercedes wipers anyway.
To the OP, with rainx, you shouldn't need wipers over about 65 or 70. Except maybe at night, which I haven't tried.
You should also change where you live to Florida. I 95 in the rain, at, well, 95 is pretty common and let me tell you, we can get some rain!

No we are talking.. a fishtailing GSX-R 1100 at 100 MP/H. :cool: Those damm Metzeler Z3. The worst Motorcycle tyre in Rain ever.
One of my Scarist moments in my Life. Beside of saying something stupid to women.

Back