What causes windshield wipers not to pivot / alternate ?

Hello

I have a vehicle and noticed that the wipers do not pivot, alternate when the arm goes up and down.

This causes skidding and jumping of the blade and the noise that comes along with it.

Is it caused by having too much tension in the arm? That bhing said I don't believe this is adjustable.

I have tried it with several brands of blades, trico and bosch and they are don't pivot.

Check the arm itself and that it's parallel to the glass. You might be able to adjust it by bending it with two pair of pliers.

They make an accessory called wiper huggies that I used on my Geo years ago. It seemed to really help. I also use glass scrub a couple of times a year as it removes buildup on the windshield.

Chattering/skipping wipers were the bane of my existence. Tried deep cleaning the glass with a clay bar, all sorts of different blades, adjusting the angle of the arm and even a new wiper arm altogether. A glass coating helped (reduced friction?) but it caused the wipers to leave behind a slight haze after each wipe.

What finally worked was using Stoners glass stripper on the windshield which removed years of build up. The wipers now glide across the glass with zero hazing/trails. Downside is water doesn't bead up but oh well.

Back