Will this stuff seal a gas tank leak?

I bought this stuff a couple years ago to use on the npt barbed fuel hose fittings on my boat since it's supposed to be gasoline resistant vs white Teflon tape and it worked great!

Anyways, with that being said I have a tiny hole that got poked in the upper area of the gas tank of my mower because it got snagged on a gate latch. Looks like someone poked it with the tip of a knife, luckily it only leaks if its super full, but the weird thing is it never leaked before. Do you think if I put a dab of this sealer that it will fill in the hole? It's like goop and has a paint brush attached to the cap. I'd just like to use something I already have laying around instead of spending more money on something else. It claims to be a gasket type sealer too.

What's the worst that can happen, that glob will get loose and plug a jet in your carb. Go for it.

Resist the urge to fill-fill the tank though, there's a difference between getting splashed with gas vs immersed in it.

What's the worst that can happen, that glob will get loose and plug a jet in your carb. Go for it.

Resist the urge to fill-fill the tank though, there's a difference between getting splashed with gas vs immersed in it.
Never seemed to clog anything on the boat. The stuff is weird though, like it never fully dries and stays goopy

That stuff is a gasket sealant. It's supposed to be used to make paper and cork gaskets waterproof. Gasoline will eventually break it down.

The best way to seal a hole in a steel fuel tank is to fill the tank full of water and then oxy-acetylene weld the hole shut.

That stuff is a gasket sealant. It's supposed to be used to make paper and cork gaskets waterproof. Gasoline will eventually break it down.

The best way to seal a hole in a steel fuel tank is to fill the tank full of water and then oxy-acetylene weld the hole shut.
It's a plastic tank, it also says for threaded connections too, so being used on the boat for my fuel fittings was appropriate. Much faster than wrapping Teflon tape around a bunch of fittings.

Empty the tank and put some regular JB weld on it forcing a little bit in the hole. JB weld work much better on plastic then their "made for plastic" product.
JB Weld must run a tight race with duct tape for saving the day …
😷

JB Weld must run a tight race with duct tape for saving the day …
😷
I've never had any luck with it. In my experience you just have to buy a new tank, luckily it's only up at the very top by the filler neck. This tank is like $400 though

Drill the hole and put a screw in it, then cover the outside with an Epoxy of your choice. There is even a black epoxy if you are going for color matching.

I've never had any luck with it. In my experience you just have to buy a new tank, luckily it's only up at the very top by the filler neck. This tank is like $400 though
I have had the best only good experiences with it, like any adhesives, paint or fillers it is all in the prep and using the correct product for the job. Scuff the surface (I use 80 grit) use alcohol to prop the surface, apply and let it cure 24hrs.

As others have said, use regular JB Weld. Make sure that the area is clean and dry. Over the years I used it on many gas tanks in my shop, both plastic and metal. The repair never failed.

Back