iPhone Screen Protectors

I bought this one recently for the 13 Pro but it is available for 15 Pro Max.
It seems to be good, comes with a plastic jig to install.
Price is reasonable.

FWIW, I have a glass screen protector and case on all IPhone.
New IPhone have glass on the front and back.
They are easy to break.
I have never have any of screen break ever since I owned IPhone 4 except the glass protector.

How about this? It sure does not look like tempered glass.
No it sure doesn't.
Also confirmed your photo with my wife *LOL*
Wife doesn't think so either. I only brought her into this because is #1 in screen protectors *LOL*

I do agree with another in here though. It might break if bent a little more, meaning at one end instead of the two ends. Tough call.
I have changed them off my phone to put on new ones at times, if I pull one end up off the screen, if I dont go VERY slowly it will snap quite easily. I cant say seeing both ends bent what will be.

Last edited:
No it sure doesn't.
Also confirmed your photo with my wife *LOL*
Wife doesn't think so either. I only brought her into this because is #1 in screen protectors *LOL*
It’s tempered glass, or at least that’s what they call it in the phone industry.
I have never seen an actual, rigid like glass screen protector. All of the ones I installed, and that ranges from name brands like Supershieldz, Spigen to no names and they were flexible like pictures by the OP.

Gorilla Glass and equivalent products are not exactly glass. They are more of a ceramic because they are made from silicate ceramics. It's similar to sapphire which is aluminum oxide. The next thing will be transparent aluminum which is aluminum oxynitride. It exists but is still too expensive.

Gorilla Glass is easily scratched. It's only 5 to 7 on Moh's scale. Compare that to sapphire which is 9 and diamond which is 10. Quartz is 7 and can scratch the toughest Gorilla Glass. Beach sand has quartz in it. Guess how I know? A $10 sacrificial protective layer is something I want.

Last edited:
I use a really thin Spigen case but no screen protector because I hate the way they feel. I do have a few scratches on my Pixel 6 that are slightly irritating and wish I had a protector *at that time*. The most annoying is working on user's cells and their screen protector is put on really poorly and coming off or has lint between the glass and protector.

Screen protectors, the tempered glass ones, do protect against a drop. If you drop your phone and it lands on the screen or you drop something on the screen, there is a very good chance it will save your screen.
I get them in packs of three or four for like $10 from Amazaon and install myself. If it can potentially save my screen, it’s well worth it to me. Plus they can provide extra functionality like antiglare or privacy.

Nothing boomer about them.

They're cheap insurance. Easy to dismiss until you need it.

Whether they'll protect against accidents is YMMV, like any mitigation measure, but I do like the ability to clean the screen with anything at hand, with impunity.

I take care of my stuff, so my phone has the same protector I installed when I pulled it out of the box five years ago, but I have family members who don't, or use them in situations where the protectors have taken the hit, not the screen. Repeatedly.

That said, I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks for one, but I have installed the costly $50 ones that use the UV-cured liquid adhesive, which is neat.

I bought this screen protector

It is advertised as tempered glass but it does not feel like glass at all. It is flexible and can be bent. Also running a sharp knife along the edge generates a thin shaving. It feels very much like plastic.

Deceptive advertising?
I believe screen protectors are unnecessay for iPhone 14 on. I thought the same re the tempered glass claim but it really doesn't scratch at all. Works

just swapped my wife's off of her iPhone 13 Pro Max (see bottom edge). They really do their jobs and sacrifice themselves. I know I've changed mine once on this phone and 3X on the last. Just this protector and a cheap case with a tiny lip seems to preserve the devices (meaning mint when removed)....

IMG_7331.jpg

I bought this screen protector

It is advertised as tempered glass but it does not feel like glass at all. It is flexible and can be bent. Also running a sharp knife along the edge generates a thin shaving. It feels very much like plastic.

Deceptive advertising?
One of the best screen protectors that i used was the protective wrap that the detail guy at the dealership used on hoods, and side mirrors. I'd look and see if Gorilla Glass makes one. I tried the cheap do it yourself but those never seem to last.

Gorilla Glass and equivalent products are not exactly glass. They are more of a ceramic because they are made from silicate ceramics. It's similar to sapphire which is aluminum oxide. The next thing will be transparent aluminum which is aluminum oxynitride. It exists but is still too expensive.

Gorilla Glass is easily scratched. It's only 5 to 7 on Moh's scale. Compare that to sapphire which is 9 and diamond which is 10. Quartz is 7 and can scratch the toughest Gorilla Glass. Beach sand has quartz in it. Guess how I know? A $10 sacrificial protective layer is something I want.
I can attest to that, our work devices have no protection as they have 5 year contracts. We just send them for repair. They're MIL-STD-810G but the screens get scratched and damaged. A work device is different imho than a personal device, meaning being careful costs time and productivity. Whereas with a personal device, they are too expensive to have to repair so many of us try to do what we can to prevent damage.

What many seem to miss is that while the gorilla glass or other types are made to be scratch resistant and they are, however the glass is very brittle and brakes/shatters easily. The screen protectors are pretty good at absorbing that first impact and often saving the screen.

So it's not really about scratch protection anymore, that used to be a thing with the early smartphones, but about drop and shatter protection.

What many seem to miss is that while the gorilla glass or other types are made to be scratch resistant and they are, however the glass is very brittle and brakes/shatters easily. The screen protectors are pretty good at absorbing that first impact and often saving the screen.

So it's not really about scratch protection anymore, that used to be a thing with the early smartphones, but about drop and shatter protection.
Good point, remember those old protectors and sometimes they'd get bubbly upon application, and wasted, they were like a plastic film similar to what comes with devices for shipping....I agree, these cheap (like $6-$9 for 3) protectors take the shock and shatter, instead of the phone itself....

Back