iPhone Screen Protectors

I bought this screen protector

It is advertised as tempered glass but it does not feel like glass at all. It is flexible and can be bent. Also running a sharp knife along the edge generates a thin shaving. It feels very much like plastic.

Deceptive advertising?

Glass screen protectors are quite bendy. The only plastic ones I have seen were PET film.
Also running a sharp knife along the edge generates a thin shaving. It feels very much like plastic.
The edge may have a plastic lip. Take a close look. I peeled the raised plastic edge of mine because I use a protective case that prevents the screen from touching a flat surface when putting down/dropping the phone.
Deceptive advertising?
Check the manufacturer's website for the specs if there is a site.

I use tempered glass screen protectors with a matte anti-glare finish. Finding a matte glass screen protector can be difficult.

Last edited:
Screen protectors are boomer bait. They don't do anything on a modern phone. Placebo effect.
Removes glare if you get a matte one. Adds an extra layer of protection.

That's about the most glare I get with a direct light source under the worst angle. Dark screen because glare won't be masked at all.

Last edited:
Screen protectors are boomer bait. They don't do anything on a modern phone. Placebo effect.
Dropped a VNMG carbide insert on my phone at work once from about 6”… shattered the screen protector. Probably would have shattered the screen itself had there not been a protector.

The screen protector also has a bunch of scratches in it. While Gorilla Glass Victus and Apples “Ceramic Shield” seem tougher and more scratch resistant than normal tempered glass I wouldn’t place all my faith on them alone.

What’s the boomer part wise man ?
They're the only ones who buy them at my job. I think it's a holdover from when TFT screens were legitimately delicate. Its a snake oil product now. I've had some customers stack them up and then complain that their screen is unresponsive. A lot of customers say they won't even touch their new phone until their screen protector comes in the mail. These soft and brittle protectors will crack or scratch in their jeans pocket or purse and then they will perceive it to have protected the screen underneath it from untold damage. Hooked for life.

They're the only ones who buy them at my job. I think it's a holdover from when TFT screens were legitimately delicate. Its a snake oil product now. I've had some customers stack them up and then complain that their screen is unresponsive. A lot of customers say they won't even touch their new phone until their screen protector comes in the mail. These soft and brittle protectors will crack or scratch in their jeans pocket or purse and then they will perceive it to have protected the screen underneath it from untold damage. Hooked for life.
Screen protectors, the tempered glass ones, do protect against a drop. If you drop your phone and it lands on the screen or you drop something on the screen, there is a very good chance it will save your screen.
I get them in packs of three or four for like $10 from Amazaon and install myself. If it can potentially save my screen, it’s well worth it to me. Plus they can provide extra functionality like antiglare or privacy.

Nothing boomer about them.

Last edited:
I haven't used a screen protector in years, Gorilla Glass is tough.
This, with one exception.

I found a tempered glass one last year that looked really good. Applied easy and consistent, but then it started peeling off.

Side note, I also don't use a case as a normal situation. I will put a case on it when I'm going places like the race track or a theme park.

Once they start peeling, they get really annoying really fast.

Gorilla Glass is an amazing technology. Most phones are tougher than we give them credit for. In a rare phone flub, I dropped mine on our concrete shop floor last year. Had a pretty wicked scuff on a corner. Well, we have 3M EXL wheels at every CNC machine, flipped it on and deburred the scuff, practically good as new.

A lot of cases are giant. I value thinness. I do run a case because I’ve accidentally dropped my phone enough times to know that the glass can chip or the frame can bend, regardless of how tough anything is.

I just run the thinnest case I can. Screen protectors take ‘‘em or leave ‘em. I have once or twice hit comething on my phone and ai believe they added an extra layer of resilience.

ZAGG has some nice screen protectors.
Yes, ZAGG has always been our go to for years on our iPhones and phones before that. Always a perfect fit, always a simple application and for those that have an issue with a ZAGG, well ... never mind ;)

I like them because after a year or more, if you like to take care of your stuff, you can replace it with a new and have a nice new screen again. I also am fearless and put my phone down anywhere, its gets a lot of use. I am not worried about breaking the screen without a protector, I like the fact that I can always have a nice clean scratch free screen by using one and do not have to worry about how or where I put down my phone.

@George7941 You dont mention how flexible. The tempered glass has some flex to it because it is so thin but it will snap like a thin whole wheat cracker if its bent to much and it doesnt take all that much of a bend. (if this helps any)

Last edited:
They very thin tempered glass. Spigen, I think because I bought Spigen case. Two in a package. First one good for 2 years and corner lifted. New glass supposed to be more resistant but I don’t want to find out.

000_0344.JPG
@George7941 You dont mention how flexible. The tempered glass has some flex to it because it is so thin but it will snap like a thin whole wheat cracker if its bent to much and it doesnt take all that much of a bend. (if this helps any)

How about this? It sure does not look like tempered glass.

I think it may have a coating or bonded to something to keep the glass from shattering, similar to car windshields. I've had a screen protector that got cracked from a drop so I guess it did its job and took the hit instead of the screen itself but the pieces were kept together by some kind of layer.

Back