Why the auto repair industry gets a bad rep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
I've been in the business over 25 years and of the thousands of techs I've met, I could only say a couple of them are 'dishonest'. I think many people are mistaking incompetency for dishonesty. I am sure most other professions have the same percentage or higher of dishonest workers (and incompetency).

I'm not against an honest mistake by a mechanic but what I have found to be the case is that said "professional mechanic" will screw up, and then try and either deny he made a mistake, even went asked politely about a problem and or cop a nasty attitude when it is brought to their attention that there is a problem with their work. Half of the problem with mechanics and shop owners today is the UNprofessional attitude on the part of these places...I've had idiots yell at me because I checked their work before I left their lot, and or made requests that were totally within the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer..one clown barking at me saying that "telling him how to do his job won't work for him"...I'm the customer that puts food on his table, if he can't listen and provide the customer with reasonable
service, then he ain't going to get one more red cent from me.
Our family has four vehicles that this shop lost because of the mechanic/shop owners ridiculous attitude and behavior. The clown acted like he was incapable of making mistakes..and got mad because he perceived that I injured his pride. LOL

He and his other mechanics lost a lot of good paying fairly straight forward work because of his asinine behavior towards the customer with reasonable concerns.
cry.gif
crazy.gif
crazy2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I went to auto mechanics school(I know-an old term!)in 1969-70, but then the military got me and I later schooled more in other areas and never made a (W2) $ in the auto game. I have since been able to handle 80-90% of my own work and also with/for friends. So, I know a bit-usually enough to fairly easily pick up a lie from a shop/dealer. If I'd call them on it, invariably there is a blow-up. I haven't had to do that in quite a while as I now generally make them aware I understand a bit beforehand("I just finished installing the nailhead I rebuilt for the old Wildcat and am a bit stiff today") They generally don't try and sell me a story. On a more positive note, my wife's car got a good dripping of 'gosh knows what' from the roof of her work's parking garage. It wouldn't come off safely with anything I had on hand and so I stopped into the local Chevy dealership's body shop. The younger estimator was a former detail guy there and took it as a personal challenge. The result was me watching a happy true professional go thru the multiple steps to make that panel and paint as new again. It was a pleasure and I may frame that dealership work order/bill for $20

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I've been in the business over 25 years and of the thousands of techs I've met, I could only say a couple of them are 'dishonest'. I think many people are mistaking incompetency for dishonesty. I am sure most other professions have the same percentage or higher of dishonest workers (and incompetency).

I'm not against an honest mistake by a mechanic but what I have found to be the case is that said "professional mechanic" will screw up, and then try and either deny he made a mistake, even went asked politely about a problem and or cop a nasty attitude when it is brought to their attention that there is a problem with their work. Half of the problem with mechanics and shop owners today is the UNprofessional attitude on the part of these places...I've had idiots yell at me because I checked their work before I left their lot, and or made requests that were totally within the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer..one clown barking at me saying that "telling him how to do his job won't work for him"...I'm the customer that puts food on his table, if he can't listen and provide the customer with reasonable
Our family has four vehicles that this shop lost because of the mechanic/shop owners ridiculous attitude and behavior. The clown acted like he was incapable of making mistakes..and got mad because he perceived that I injured his pride. LOL

He and his other mechanics lost a lot of good paying fairly straight forward work because of his asinine behavior towards the customer with reasonable concerns.
cry.gif
crazy.gif
crazy2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not sure if you are talking about a single shop or are generalizing about mechanics here. You certainly seem to have a lot of animosity towards them. I hope you didn't talk to this shop like that. The only way to get what you want is to be nice. I think the employees of most companies want to be professional with their customers, after all it is their livelihood. If you find that every shop you go to seems to have an attitude (and this is true for any business) then the problem is usually not the business.

When I wrenched, some people brought their own parts...usually, because the available replacements were hugely overpriced, garbage quality, or just not available. I installed many salvage-yard radiators!

cry.gif
crazy.gif
crazy2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

It is all in how you come across. Your internet persona turns off a few and if it follows through into real life(my guess no) it could bother some real people out there.

This thread really makes me appreciate my local Just Brakes store. I have the capability of removing wheels & inspecting brakes myself, but that's a job I really hate in the summer in Texas, so I dropped my '05 Sport Trac by there to see what their opinion was. Brake inspections are free at Just Brakes.

They actually brought me into the shop and showed me the brakes on all 4 wheels, and gave recommendations (which was to come back after they've worn down more). There is no blind faith in that place. They make real recommendations, which I really appreciate.

I'm not sure if you are talking about a single shop or are generalizing about mechanics here. You certainly seem to have a lot of animosity towards them. I hope you didn't talk to this shop like that. The only way to get what you want is to be nice. I think the employees of most companies want to be professional with their customers, after all it is their livelihood. If you find that every shop you go to seems to have an attitude (and this is true for any business) then the problem is usually not the business.

A lot of people seem to be rude by default. Like it's an effective way to go through life or something.

Our body shop is around the corner of the building from where I work in parts. There is signage all over the place indicating where the body shop is, but it still does not compute for some people. Yesterday I was helping a customer when a woman comes in, and within 15 seconds starts doing that huffing and puffing kind of sighing to indicate that she was more important than the customer I was already helping, and that she was so important I should drop what I was doing to help her. I considered waiting until I was completely done helping the customer who was there first, but decided when he was looking at a diagram to ask her what she needed. She says "I sposedtuh take my car to Guy-go." I told her, and not in a mean or rude tone, that the body shop was at the end of the building and around the corner. Rather than saying thank you, she starts huffing and puffing again, and then finally waddles out of the door. What a way to go through life, getting all huffy puffy with other people because she can't read a massive sign next to the door she walked in.

Now, when people have been polite about asking where the body shop is, I will go as far as walking them over there. Huff and puff and you will only the most basic instructions.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

A lot of people seem to be rude by default. Like it's an effective way to go through life or something.

Back when I was a District Court Judge a lady showed up one late afternoon and asked where court was being held. My secretary told her that all the hearings were finished and no other cases were set. The lady went off- "I'm missing work and this is inexcusable and somebody will be responsible for the time I've missed!!!"
I walked out and asked the lady if she has a subpoena. She whipped it out of her purse and slapped it down on the counter. I quickly read it and told her, "This subpoena is for September 24th." "SO?" she huffed. I handed the subpoena back with a big smile and said, "Today is September 23rd."

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Our body shop is around the corner of the building from where I work in parts. There is signage all over the place indicating where the body shop is, but it still does not compute for some people. Yesterday I was helping a customer when a woman comes in, and within 15 seconds starts doing that huffing and puffing kind of sighing to indicate that she was more important than the customer I was already helping, and that she was so important I should drop what I was doing to help her. I considered waiting until I was completely done helping the customer who was there first, but decided when he was looking at a diagram to ask her what she needed. She says "I sposedtuh take my car to Guy-go." I told her, and not in a mean or rude tone, that the body shop was at the end of the building and around the corner. Rather than saying thank you, she starts huffing and puffing again, and then finally waddles out of the door. What a way to go through life, getting all huffy puffy with other people because she can't read a massive sign next to the door she walked in.

Now, when people have been polite about asking where the body shop is, I will go as far as walking them over there. Huff and puff and you will only the most basic instructions.

pretty sure she is not a DIYer; she doesn't seem like want a discount on parts
wink.gif
j/k. honestly I hope she knows....
I would 10 time more nice to anyone in the building than I can usually be, just because my car is in body shop. my limited understanding about body shop is, that stuff is art work, making the left side curve like right side, if colour matching/blend in properly on quarter panel all depend on THAT guy, if he can do it, or if he want to do it.... or a car can turn into a zebra in 12 month. like, sure my 5 years old can paint, but I can tell if she is in a hurry
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: rjundi
[

It is all in how you come across. Your internet persona turns off a few and if it follows through into real life(my guess no) it could bother some real people out there.

You may not like my "internet persona" but how I deal with people in person in business dealings is not at all confrontational...I am always REASONABLE and polite, I also expect mistakes to be made it is normal for things to go wrong, and as long as the business is reasonable and respectful I have no issues with that.

The only time I get annoyed with folks in business dealings is when I am given an obnoxious attitude for bringing up issues with work done (mistakes are made) I am ALWAYS polite and businesslike myself when dealing with these people. They have to give me cause to get annoyed. A business professional does NOT bark and yell at a long time customer that simply wanted to check the fluids in his car after paying the bill. Heck even after the shop owner (also a mechanic too) confronted me I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was having a bad day and I explained to him that I had had previous issues when getting the car serviced at another shop that his place had recommended, and that I was just being extra careful by checking the fluids. His reply after I tried to appease him was to yell and bark again that "telling him how to do his job wouldn't work for him!". Of course I didn't continue the conversation and just left, figuring that perhaps the guy would call me back when he cooled off and just say that he was having a bad day and still wanted my business...but the clown never did.
LOL....I was NOT the problem the mechanic/shop owner was. Since he can't be bothered to act professionally I can't be bothered to return to his shop with my family's four vehicles.

The particular shop I am referring to had been a place I used for years almost a decade or more..problem is that THEY changed for the worse. I am still the same customer that went to them a decade ago and my behavior didn't change.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
[

You may not like my "internet persona" but how I deal with people in person in business dealings is not at all confrontational...I am always REASONABLE and polite, I also expect mistakes to be made it is normal for things to go wrong, and as long as the business is reasonable and respectful I have no issues with that.

The only time I get annoyed with folks in business dealings is when I am given an obnoxious attitude for bringing up issues with work done (mistakes are made) I am ALWAYS polite and businesslike myself when dealing with these people. They have to give me cause to get annoyed. A business professional does NOT bark and yell at a long time customer that simply wanted to check the fluids in his car after paying the bill. Heck even after the shop owner (also a mechanic too) confronted me I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was having a bad day and I explained to him that I had had previous issues when getting the car serviced at another shop that his place had recommended, and that I was just being extra careful by checking the fluids. His reply after I tried to appease him was to yell and bark again that "telling him how to do his job wouldn't work for him!". Of course I didn't continue the conversation and just left, figuring that perhaps the guy would call me back when he cooled off and just say that he was having a bad day and still wanted my business...but the clown never did.
LOL....I was NOT the problem the mechanic/shop owner was. Since he can't be bothered to act professionally I can't be bothered to return to his shop with my family's four vehicles.

The particular shop I am referring to had been a place I used for years almost a decade or more..problem is that THEY changed for the worse. I am still the same customer that went to them a decade ago and my behavior didn't change.

What did you tell him that he did wrong?

Never taken my cars to the shop to get work except for alignment and tires. Same for family cars when I was around them.

I was generalizing about my experiences with shops but in this specific case all I did was pay my bill and then go out to the lot and proceed to check my fluids, amusingly another customer saw me checking my fluids, and he oddly said to me, " You better be moving along now"...I just thought the guy was just kidding around, so I laughed and said goodbye to him. Then just a minute later the shop owner/mechanic came out and asked what was wrong....I said nothing was wrong, I was just taking a minute to double check the fluids that they changed...he then got angry and defensive basically telling me I was bothering him by checking the fluids on his lot...I then appeased him by saying that it never hurts to double check things so that if there happens to be something wrong it won't become a bigger problem. Well then the guy goes on to yell and bark at me about how they are "not the grease monkeys" at the dealership so there won't be a problem with the fluids.

Go back and read the previous posts by me.

Last edited:
A larger part of the problem is places like South Florida here, where if you are a technician, you get treated like a homeless person who is painting a fence in exchange for a hot meal. I work independently, and will never work for a shop again so long as I live.

In my engineering class, there are so many former and current technicians who cannot wait to graduate, so they can get a "real job" where they will be respected and appreciated, and I'm in full agreement with them.

An even larger part of the problem is that customers tend to be far more compliant when they're being lied to and screwed, than when they are being told the complete truth. Customers want to be told that their car will burst into flames and that their children are going to run away and never speak to them again if they don't get a power steering flush on the electric power steering car or new iridium spark plugs for their diesel Jetta.

They want exactly what the average SW tends to be: A scaremonger who will rack up the bill based on tons of false promises and guarantees that will never be held up, rather than deal with the reality of the situation. They trust big shiny places with overblown prices and deeply appreciate a gigantic bill for "professional service". The only other side of that coin is the customer who does not care if you rebuild their transmission with spare parts from a Pier One wicker rocking chair, so long as the price is cheap.

Not saying that every customer, or even a majority fall into this category, but too many of them do. They want to shake a greasy, reassuring hand, and be told that it's all going to be alright, and lead to the slaughter.

I was generalizing about my experiences with shops but in this specific case all I did was pay my bill and then go out to the lot and proceed to check my fluids, amusingly another customer saw me checking my fluids, and he oddly said to me, " You better be moving along now"...I just thought the guy was just kidding around, so I laughed and said goodbye to him. Then just a minute later the shop owner/mechanic came out and asked what was wrong....I said nothing was wrong, I was just taking a minute to double check the fluids that they changed...he then got angry and defensive basically telling me I was bothering him by checking the fluids on his lot...I then appeased him by saying that it never hurts to double check things so that if there happens to be something wrong it won't become a bigger problem. Well then the guy goes on to yell and bark at me about how they are "not the grease monkeys" at the dealership so there won't be a problem with the fluids.

He saw you under the hood & thought something was wrong, Goes out there to see what happened & finds you checking fluids that just got changed & was probably checked by the Tech twice & the shop owner once. Most Tech's & Shop Owners/Managers go out of their way to do things right. I would have politely explained to you It looks bad for a customer to poke around the hood in the parking lot of my Shop.

I agree with you antique 200%!! I ALWAYS open the hood and give everything a once-over on those rare occasions that I have to use a shop (for instance if the repair/maintanence requires a lift). The problem with most mechanic types is that they have the maturity level and social skills of a 5 year old,and the personality of someone fresh out of the pen. BUT,there are some who are very professional,intelligent,and scientific minded. THOSE are the ones I patronize. And I always tell them how awesome their work is and I recommend them to everyone I know. The Nissan dealership I use is like that. The shop is so clean you could eat off the floor,and everyone (including the mechanic I always request) is beyond amazing. Anytime I drive up,he sees me,gets my keys from me,and tells the service manager,"I got this one". The guy is awesome!!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

He saw you under the hood & thought something was wrong, Goes out there to see what happened & finds you checking fluids that just got changed & was probably checked by the Tech twice & the shop owner once. Most Tech's & Shop Owners/Managers go out of their way to do things right. I would have politely explained to you It looks bad for a customer to poke around the hood in the parking lot of my Shop.

Thing is that this guy IS a mechanic AND the shop owner, and instead of doing what you said he railed at me, and scolded me, even after I took the high road and tried to explain my concerns.

Honestly I don't see how it "looks bad" for a customer to look under the hood of his car to make sure I'm satisfied with the work. Not to mention that other customers generally won't know if you are a customer, for all they know you could be a tech.

I've had to return the car to this place on a number of occasions to have things made right, but never got upset or irritated with them because mistakes are made..so I guess the customer is there to service the shop? LOL

Nope, I as the customer I'm NOT there at the service of the shop.
They are supposed to be the service professionals and need to act like it, or at least if you have a bad day and get angry with the customer, you need to step up after you cool your jets and
apologize for the unprofessional behavior if you want my business.

As a result of this guys asinine behavior he lost 4 vehicles to work on for himself and his other techs. Seems foolhardy to me.
But just proves to me that the auto repair industry has real
issues with honesty, competence and professionalism in the biggest way and they keep on proving it day after day why consumers think it is one of the most sleazy industries in the country.

It could also be that the shop owner is more than happy to be rid of you and your family vehicles.
One of the things that businesses of all sizes learn is that there are some customers who are more trouble than they're worth and that they should fired.
My experience with shops is limited, since I DIY most things, have a guy who does side work to tackle those jobs I no longer feel like doing, like clutches and timing belts and I have a good indie exhaust shop as well as one for tires. I've even had a Walmart TLE mount some tires and I was very impressed with the experience and knowledge of the tech who did the work.
I do hear the horror stories from those who have no clue and rely entirely upon dealer and chain shops, but I've never seen it personally.
If you really are mechanically savy and you act right, nobody I've ever dealt with is going to treat you with anything other than respect.
Shops don't fix cars. Techs do. Almost every tech I've ever known was honest and took pride in his work. Most of these people aren't going to take kindly to some Consumer Reports informed fool telling them how they should do their jobs.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It could also be that the shop owner is more than happy to be rid of you and your family vehicles.
One of the things that businesses of all sizes learn is that there are some customers who are more trouble than they're worth and that they should fired.

Obviously you are playing the devil's
advocate here, because if you read most of my previous posts you'd know that I have been probably one of the most reasonable and patient customers you can generally find, but still know how to work on cars as well.

I would hazard a guess that the place has changed, and the owner had become
dishonest, and even perhaps crooked.
You'd realize that if you had comprehended what I posted earlier. Even the shops he recommended to me for work they didn't do were shoddy and of questionable integrity as well. That should have been my cue to leave and never go back.
Quote:

If you really are mechanically savy and you act right, nobody I've ever dealt with is going to treat you with anything other than respect.

Congrats you are right and everyone else that finds otherwise is wrong.
crackmeup2.gif

Nice anecdotal experience. Definitely not the norm in the auto repair industry everyone else knows this.

Last edited:
It's not that everyone else is wrong.
It may be that you are.
Not everyone is mechanically savy, although they might think that they are, and not everyone knows how to conduct themselves properly in dealing with others, although they may think that they do.
I've read many of your posts, and most of those you've made regarding shops involve your calling them dishonest or overcharging for the work done.
You clearly demonstrate having a chip on your shoulder wrt shops in your posts here.
I'm sure that you communicate that, subconciously or otherwise, to those who've had to deal with you.
You get exactly as much respect from others as you give them.
Treat people with disrespect and you can expect the same from them, to the extent of being run off of the grounds of a shop, as you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back