Why no vehicle safety inspection in CA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Emissions testing is done at the state level, and is often in response to certain air quality non-attainment. For example, in NC, most counties that are in Federal air quality non-attainment have emissions testing, and counties that are not in Federal air quality non-attainment do not have emissions testing. 48 of NC's 100 counties currently require emissions testing, in addition to the state-wide safety inspection.

It's not true that Federal law requires emissions testing, but emissions testing programs, administered at the state level, are often in response to Federal air quality attainment requirements (or steps to show how you are working towards attainment in your non-attainment counties).

Yup, this, exactly. My county is the most populous in the state and had too many "bad air days" in the 1990s so we got emissions checks.

Sadly, most of our bad air comes from elsewhere in the country in the jet stream. So we have to suffer fixing our cars while someone in, say, Ohio, gets to burn coal for cheap electricity and also go without smogging their cars.

We could probably shake off the EPA, but we'd have to pay millions of dollars for the studies to prove it's no big deal anymore. We have an austere government that won't spring for it and I'm sure the mechanic lobby likes having to chase EVAP leaks.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Probably because they're not required to. Emissions inspection is actually required by the feds.

No...not really...the Feds don't require any of those things.

Look up the Clean Air Act of 1990.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Emissions testing is done at the state level, and is often in response to certain air quality non-attainment. For example, in NC, most counties that are in Federal air quality non-attainment have emissions testing, and counties that are not in Federal air quality non-attainment do not have emissions testing. 48 of NC's 100 counties currently require emissions testing, in addition to the state-wide safety inspection.

It's not true that Federal law requires emissions testing, but emissions testing programs, administered at the state level, are often in response to Federal air quality attainment requirements (or steps to show how you are working towards attainment in your non-attainment counties).

Yup, this, exactly. My county is the most populous in the state and had too many "bad air days" in the 1990s so we got emissions checks.

Sadly, most of our bad air comes from elsewhere in the country in the jet stream. So we have to suffer fixing our cars while someone in, say, Ohio, gets to burn coal for cheap electricity and also go without smogging their cars.

We could probably shake off the EPA, but we'd have to pay millions of dollars for the studies to prove it's no big deal anymore. We have an austere government that won't spring for it and I'm sure the mechanic lobby likes having to chase EVAP leaks.

Question for you eljefino: coworker lives in ME, and has a problem car; but says he can just clear the trouble code in the parking lot, and the inspection station will pass. As they don't pull readiness codes. Is that true? Seems like you could fly a number of emissions problems under the radar if so. Just not anything that would immediately set the light.

Originally Posted By: supton

Question for you eljefino: coworker lives in ME, and has a problem car; but says he can just clear the trouble code in the parking lot, and the inspection station will pass. As they don't pull readiness codes. Is that true? Seems like you could fly a number of emissions problems under the radar if so. Just not anything that would immediately set the light.

You need two or less for 96-2000 and one or less incomplete monitor for 2001+.

But nothing's computerized; the mechanic just uses any old scan tool, and pencil whips a chit of paper that goes off to the state DEP indicating I/Ms and codes present.

No cheating potential there.
wink.gif

However, Maine honors a Massachusetts sticker, and Mass has a 15 year rolling emissions exemption. So the first gaggle of OBDII cars can be legal if you're willing to make a road trip. Mass, like most states actually, will inspect on out of state plates.

No safety inspection regulation in Iowa, and no emissions inspections either! And one of the lowest per year highway death rates in the country. 273 this year so far. Every state around us is double to triple that amount.

merk, we don't have that here in IL either. I guess they assume everyone is running Supertech Full Synthetic and everything is good???

$15? For an inspection in PA? Did you mean in 1945 or something? I pay $90 here in PA. And it's a classic case of conflict of interest. The mechanic gets to do the work on vehicles that he "fails". The best is what NJ used to have. Inspections at state run stations where the inspector has absolutely no financial interest in your car passing or failing. Regarding states with no safety inspections; there has been no avalanche of safety related accidents, even for those people you say have don't know how to maintain a car. Otherwise, the auto lobby and insurance companies would be all over this.

Better to regulate texters and cell phoners if you want auto safety.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Interesting. It's surprising that the nanny state doesn't have vehicle inspections.

Last time I looked into the subject, less than half of all states require periodic safety inspections.

Personally, I'm one of those that feels state safety inspections have more to do with profit for auto repair shops than it does with highway safety. I will concede that safety inspections probably result in cars being slightly better maintained. I say slightly, because a lot can happen to a car in a years time. Brakes can wear, lamps burn out, tires can wear out. If a driver isn't taking care of maintenance of his/her car, with a state inspection, at least the car is getting fixed occasionally. But a lot of shops will use vehicle inspections as a money maker, and fail a car for nit picky things. That's aggravating.

I've lived in states with and without vehicle safety inspections, and the states without have no real measurable difference in highway safety record than those with.

So, count yourself fortunate that the auto repair business in California hasn't yet convinced the powers that be, that safety inspections should be required.

^^^TOTALLY AGREED!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
(ESPECIALLY the bolded parts, which apply DIRECTLY to my current Pennsyltuckey, where I believe that the legislators actually get large kick backs from the auto dealer/repair shop associations.
mad.gif
)

Originally Posted By: willbur
$15? For an inspection in PA? Did you mean in 1945 or something? I pay $90 here in PA. And it's a classic case of conflict of interest. The mechanic gets to do the work on vehicles that he "fails". The best is what NJ used to have. Inspections at state run stations where the inspector has absolutely no financial interest in your car passing or failing. Regarding states with no safety inspections; there has been no avalanche of safety related accidents, even for those people you say have don't know how to maintain a car. Otherwise, the auto lobby and insurance companies would be all over this.

Better to regulate texters and cell phoners if you want auto safety.

^^^I agree EVEN MORE with the above!!
thumbsup2.gif

Not only is it a high inspection fee in Pennsyltuckey, and it allows the repair shops the chance to nitpick the minutest detail for max profits, but it is YEARLY (as is the registration fee), so it even negates ANY savings this state may offer in car insurance vs. it's now safety inspection free eastern neighbor, which has ALWAYS offered free inspections, and ONLY every TWO years at that!!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I'm shocked CA has not tapped into this revenue stream.

Its not always about profit for the shops. I worked at a gas station/garage in WV 20 years ago, and we did inspections. An inspection then cost $7, and $1 of that went to the shop, the rest to the state. I doubt that model has changed much, or varies from state to state. I don't see much incentive in a shop conducting inspections unless they can sell some overpriced wiper blades to every third customer.

Around here, it is a cash cow: I was once told it would cost $100 to pass my truck. Didn't need to see the truck, just the cash!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
As proven by the recent VW emission scandal, emission testing is useless and its only purpose is to generate money.
The safety inspections would be no different.

Spot on.

Here in NJ you can still be ticketed for an unsafe vehicle such as bald tires or a cracked windshield.

I just looked at my inspection sticker on my shop van today and noticed it is overdue by 3 years... I will try to take care of that this week..

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Around here, it is a cash cow: I was once told it would cost $100 to pass my truck. Didn't need to see the truck, just the cash!

Thats not an inspection, thats corruption.

Originally Posted By: willbur
$15? For an inspection in PA? Did you mean in 1945 or something? I pay $90 here in PA. And it's a classic case of conflict of interest. The mechanic gets to do the work on vehicles that he "fails".

Insp is $16 in VA... It's $1 for a reinsp within 15 days if it's failed...

Same in VA but you can challenge the shop/mechanic by setting up a appointment with State Police that supervise the program... For the most part crooks in the business don't last long... Doesn't make much difference to me, I check em over before insp and if it fails I take it home and fix it...

Note up till last month I could say I never had one fail, but my '98 Grand Marquis with 69K mi was rejected for low brake pad thickness on rear... He'd said they were a little low last year and I figured he was FOS as I've never replaced rear brakes on one of these cars before 100K mi... He was right, I was wrong...,

Plenty of studies and research out there that has shown there is no appreciable difference in accident and fatality rates between states with an inspection program versus those without. That was done by several states that had programs that were asking themselves whether it was worth it.

In regards to the post from the Iowan above that their fatality rates being significantly lower than all their neighbors - may want to check the statistics. Middle of the pack compared to your neighbors. MN and WI have lower fatality rates. Higher total fatalities, but they have bigger populations and travel more miles.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Plenty of studies and research out there that has shown there is no appreciable difference in accident and fatality rates between states with an inspection program versus those without. That was done by several states that had programs that were asking themselves whether it was worth it.

In regards to the post from the Iowan above that their fatality rates being significantly lower than all their neighbors - may want to check the statistics. Middle of the pack compared to your neighbors. MN and WI have lower fatality rates. Higher total fatalities, but they have bigger populations and travel more miles.
Especially with cars passing in June with snow tires still installed , and clever people going to the trouble of "borrowing" four from a friend just to pass.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Here in NJ you can still be ticketed for an unsafe vehicle such as bald tires or a cracked windshield.

Isn't that the case in every state though?

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Insp is $16 in VA... It's $1 for a reinsp within 15 days if it's failed...

Here, it is left up to the shop as to the time frame they can re-charge you the WHOLE inspection fee again, except that, by state law, they HAVE TO re-inspect you (and charge the full fee again) if it is past 30 days.

Some low life shops can fail you for a side marker bulb, have you pull out into their lot to replace it yourself, and then 5 minutes later re-charge you the WHOLE/FULL inspection fee again to come out and look at a side marker light!!!!!!!
crazy2.gif

They tried to do this to me, but I threatened to get on the net and rip them a new one IF they did, so I guess THAT was not worth the extra, free, $50.00 to them.
Of course, before all of this, they told me the re-inspection would be free IF I let them change the bulb (5 minute or less job) for an hour's labor charge ($125.00)!!!

Gotta love this state's 'privatized' system, huh? GRRRRR
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Isn't that the case in every state though?

No doubt there are similar laws on the books in every state, whether enforced or not is another subject... Down in NC the cops often set a couple miles down the road from the drag strip doing inspections... Mainly to catch the street class guys driving home on their slick drag radials(that's when they have best traction, at least when dry)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back