Why is everyone so down on Fram oil filters here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone so down on Fram oil filters here?

Ever see late hits at a football game? Piling on? Same thing.

Problem is that you still can't deny that you CAN buy any number of other filters that filter as well or better and are constructed much better often times at a lower price...

You can't argue with the facts...Fram knows it.

they must have been good at one time, they are still around.
6362a00e.jpg

It would be interesting to know how Fram orange cans were priced compared to their competition, say back in the 50s-70s.

Anyone have a memory of this?

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
It would be interesting to know how Fram orange cans were priced compared to their competition, say back in the 50s-70s.

Thanks to all the readily available weed, most of the people who lived during that era have no memory of it at all!
43.gif

As best I can remember, in the late 60's and the 70's they were hard to come by in NYC. I used to buy my oil and filters in Strauss auto or Aid auto supply and neither carried Fram. When I did find them in small local parts stores they were more expensive than the big chain stores but so was everything else. When I moved up to Orange county, I could get them 2 for $5 on sale in Caldors. I used plenty of them and still do. Smaller stores charge more. Bigger stores charge less but that is accross the board for everything.

Fram has had multiple owners over the years. Today's Fram has no relationship to the older filters except the copyrighted name and the color of the paint.

A few years back an owner of a group of quick lube places was cutting used filters open and posted photos of failed Frams here on BITOG. He said that he very rarely found failures of other brands.

Originally Posted By: Rico567
Why is everyone so down on Fram oil filters here?

Ever see late hits at a football game? Piling on? Same thing.

Ever cut one open yourself, whilst doing the same to ANY brand made by Champ Labs or Puro??? Not the same thing at all.

Originally Posted By: thehkp7m13
I am sort of new here, but notice a lot of people take digs at Fram oil filters. Are they that terrible? If I cannot get a Delco or Motorcraft filter I usually grab a Fram. Secondly, I change my oil every 2,000 to 3,000 miles. Sometimes a little before 2,000, but never over 3,000. Most mechanics I know tell me any filter will do in the short of an interval.

I would use it for 3K-4K change. If you have a Wal-Mart near by, get yourself an Super Tech filter, since it's cheaper. You're only doing 3,000 change so there's no need to spend more for a Fram.

Last edited:

I found some from the late 1980s at a yard sale priced $3.49 from Zayre. Minimum wage was what, $3.20 then?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I found some from the late 1980s at a yard sale priced $3.49 from Zayre.
Off topic but I remember Zayre, and buying a case of this oil (or similar)on sale there, and perhaps some Lee oil filters. Unfortunately Gulf Oil has a very different meaning today.

IMG_4676.JPG

I purchased a Fram filter for my daughter's 2000 Ranger. I don't baby her truck with the more expensive oils and filters like I do my supercharged vehicle. Having said that, I will never again buy a Fram filter. The [censored] thing nearly collapsed just tightening it in place because the casing was so thin. I took it out and went back to the auto parts store for a Motorcraft filter. 50 cents more made all the difference in quality.

I will say IF Fram orange cans started using metal end caps and a slightly better adbv like the puro I would consider using them as long as the price was competitive.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Thanks to all the readily available weed, most of the people who lived during that era have no memory of it at all!
43.gif

I remember something about "disco"...uh...then I blacked out.

Picked up a Microguard filter at O'Reilly's the other day while grabbing all the 3.99 Sympower I could afford, got that thing home, and it appears to be a base model Fram now.
Far, far, from my favorite but I'll use it. No more Microguards for me.

personally i think you change your oill too much did you know everytime you change your oil and filter your engine has a dry start>>
Use a good quality oil and change it every 5000 miles or 6 months and use a good oil filter such as napa or purolator classic...I stay away from the pureones with the new gold sand paint that flakes off and may get into the filter...Just my opinion

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
personally i think you change your oill too much did you know everytime you change your oil and filter your engine has a dry start

You don't have any dryer start after an oil and filter change if you do it properly. Fill the filter with as much oil as it can take without spilling oil during installation and you won't have a dry start. Depending on whether its a horizontal, vertical or slanted oil filter location you're looking at a 50-100% fill of the filter. My oil pressure goes up just as quickly with a new oil change as any other start does due to pre-filling the filter. :)

filling a filter greatly reduces the dry start issue but some filters go on sideways or even upside down..
This topic was discussed at the 2010 engine rebuilders association of greater ny and nj and it is an issue..
I agree with you i fill my filters also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back